The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joseph LaBate | C/LW

b3.

In the 2nd of back to back games against Alaska-Anchorage, Labate assisted on the only goal of the game in a 1-0 Wisconsin win tonight. He was again on the top line with Derek Lee (the goal scorer) and Michael Mersch and finished the game with 3 shots on net and a +1 rating.

how is he on the wing compare to center? I know that he is still a few years away but I wonder how he will be if he play with Schroeder as his winger and giving him some size!

He's a natural center but had success on the LW last season. I think Nic Kerdiles being added to the team bumped him down, along with his lack of production this year. That said, he's got an assist on the night.

Labate had an assist, 2 shots on net and a +1 rating for U. of Wisconsin in a 4-3 OT win over Minnesota State. I believe he's on a 6-game point streak now.

That's good to hear, he had an absolutely terrible start to the season, lets hope he can pick it up, everyone was so hyped up about this kid last year, I really hopes he can pan out into a decent nhl player. Which year of college is this for him?

That's good to hear, he had an absolutely terrible start to the season, lets hope he can pick it up, everyone was so hyped up about this kid last year, I really hopes he can pan out into a decent nhl player. Which year of college is this for him?

Sophomore year. He'll have at least another season or two to develop in college.

Labate saw his points streak come to an end, although it was in a winning cause as his Wisconsin Badgers picked up the 2-1 OT win in the 2nd game of a back to back against Minnesota State. He finished the game with 4 shots on net and an even rating.

Labate just (this is a replay) scored the lone goal vs Miami U in the third period off an end-to-end rush but before you get too excited, the goalie whiffed it bigtime.

Was just going to mention this. Here's some tweets and quotes re: Labate I'm borrowing from HFBoards (I'm sure that's okay to do):

Summary of the goal:

And LaBate puts Wisconsin up 1-0 over Miami with 8 minutes to go. Great rush end to end, a manages to squeak one under the goalie's arm, far side from the left wing.

About 5 minutes before scoring he stole the puck in Miami's end and fed a teammate alone in front, who proceeded to hit the crossbar. Has looked good down low and along the boards, not afraid to muck it up in the corners. Nice to see his game come around lately. Missed the first period but he's looked great and the guys calling the game have been talking him up.

Some tweets:

Andy Johnson ‏@AndyJohnsonB5Q

Miami goaltender Jay Williams just closed his fivehole on Joseph LaBate on a point-blank one-timer. Nice setup from Derek Lee.

Labate has arguably been UW's best forward tonight. 3 shots in the first, another opportunity there as he uses his big frame out front.

Ohhh...Great pass from Joseph LaBate to Derek Lee on a line-rush...and Lee rings one off the crossbar. Still scoreless, 12:50 to play.

BADGER GOAL--Joseph LaBate who has been great all night goes coast-to-coast and hand-cuffs Williams under his glove to give UW a 1-0 lead.

One more comment:

still getting a ton of ice in the last 5 minutes with Wisconsin trying to shut it down. Definitely trusted by coach.

^ The above comments were made by a poster who was actually watching the game, obviously. Just thought it would be neat to get some feedback from someone who actually got to see Labate.

Was just going to mention this. Here's some tweets and quotes re: Labate I'm borrowing from HFBoards (I'm sure that's okay to do):

Summary of the goal:

And LaBate puts Wisconsin up 1-0 over Miami with 8 minutes to go. Great rush end to end, a manages to squeak one under the goalie's arm, far side from the left wing.

About 5 minutes before scoring he stole the puck in Miami's end and fed a teammate alone in front, who proceeded to hit the crossbar. Has looked good down low and along the boards, not afraid to muck it up in the corners. Nice to see his game come around lately. Missed the first period but he's looked great and the guys calling the game have been talking him up.

Some tweets:

Miami goaltender Jay Williams just closed his fivehole on Joseph LaBate on a point-blank one-timer. Nice setup from Derek Lee.

Labate has arguably been UW's best forward tonight. 3 shots in the first, another opportunity there as he uses his big frame out front.

Ohhh...Great pass from Joseph LaBate to Derek Lee on a line-rush...and Lee rings one off the crossbar. Still scoreless, 12:50 to play.

BADGER GOAL--Joseph LaBate who has been great all night goes coast-to-coast and hand-cuffs Williams under his glove to give UW a 1-0 lead.

One more comment:

still getting a ton of ice in the last 5 minutes with Wisconsin trying to shut it down. Definitely trusted by coach.

^ The above comments were made by a poster who was actually watching the game, obviously. Just thought it would be neat to get some feedback from someone who actually got to see Labate.

Those are really over the top portrayals of what was happening, imo, but I wasn't watching every second of play so IDK.

Labate continues to be a part of what little is going right offensively for Wisconsin as he assisted on their only goal - scored by Labate's linemate Michael Mersch - in a 2-1 loss to Miami U. It was the 2nd game of a back to back with Miami U.

He also finished with 3 shots on net and an even rating.

good to see he's been picking it up lately and really is a part of wisco's limited output. bounced back from his slow start well i'd say. i'm hoping he can match his 20 points from last year at least, with a few more goals. (5 Gs 15 As last season)

Archived