The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joseph LaBate | C/LW

b3.

Labate had no points, 2 shots on net and an even rating for Wisconsin in a 5-2 win over Alaska Anchorage today. He was skating on a line with Mark Zengerle and Michael Mersch, who had 2 and 3 points respectively in the game, so he at least seemed to be a part of the offense for Wisconsin in some way or another.

Labate assisted on Wisconsin's only goal of the game - scored by Michael Mersch - and had 2 shots on goal and a +1 rating in a 1-1 final tie with North Dakota.

He continues to skate as the LW on Wisconsin's top line with Mark Zengerle and Mersch. They were the starting line in today's game, along with the D pair of Jake McCabe and Frankie Simonelli so he's definitely playing with some strong, talented players.

No idea. There's no post-game story on the WCHA website yet so I guess we'll have to wait for details.

When you say "hunched over", do you mean he looked injured or he was just leaning over the boards?

He just had his head down on the bench for a prolonged (5-8 seconds as the camera was panned on him) but he came out on the ice for the team photo.

Coach's benching?

Thanks for the updates Hansen 36. What's your general impression of Labate at this point?

It hasn't changed much since last year, despite his sophomore 'slump'. He's a big center with speed and size who can play the wing. He's surprisingly shifty for a big guy, sort of like Erik Cole but he doesn't use his speed/size to bring the physicality though. He could definitely be more physical but that can be taught, his skills can't. He has a good shot too.

The game was really boring and probably some of the worst college hockey I've seen so far. Wisconsin is definitely missing Schultz. I'm remaining solid in my projection that, after a full four years in Wisconsin, and then another in the AHL, LaBate will end up being a Chris Higgins type player. Third liner who is effective at all ends of the ice and can play second line when needed.

If everything goes absolutely right for him his total top end peak would be a poor-man's Blake Wheeler.

It hasn't changed much since last year, despite his sophomore 'slump'. He's a big center with speed and size who can play the wing. He's surprisingly shifty for a big guy, sort of like Erik Cole but he doesn't use his speed/size to bring the physicality though. He could definitely be more physical but that can be taught, his skills can't. He has a good shot too.

The game was really boring and probably some of the worst college hockey I've seen so far. Wisconsin is definitely missing Schultz. I'm remaining solid in my projection that, after a full four years in Wisconsin, and then another in the AHL, LaBate will end up being a Chris Higgins type player. Third liner who is effective at all ends of the ice and can play second line when needed.

If everything goes absolutely right for him his total top end peak would be a poor-man's Blake Wheeler.

Good stuff. That 2011 draft is shaping up to be wonderful.

Labate scored a powerplay goal and had 4 shots on net and a -1 rating for Wisconsin in a 4-2 loss to St. Cloud State today.

Wisconsin will complete their regular season tomorrow with another game against St. Cloud State.

Archived