The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joseph LaBate | C/LW

b3.

Lindsay A. Mogle  /  Utica Comets

After Wednesday’s game against Lehigh Valley, and just 15 games into his professional hockey career, Joseph LaBate exploded onto the scene and became a household name.

November 25, 2015, started out like any other Utica home game. In the press box there was a plethora of information distributed to members of the media. Individual stats, team stats, player bios, period-by-period updates; lots of numbers, in black and white, filled up countless pages.

These pages, necessary and abundant, do their best to tell the on-going story; a deep dive, into what is happening on The AUD’s historic sheet of ice. But sometimes, beyond the score, beyond which player lights the red lamp, necessary details get omitted.

On this past Thanksgiving Eve, beyond the numbers, and sheets they filled, one name stood out, as if in color – Joe LaBate.

“Joe looked good again tonight,” said Comets Head Coach, Travis Green, at the post-game press conference. “He is working hard to find his way. Joe scored his first goal, and he had his first fight. After getting stitched up, (Joe) came back out. That’s not an easy thing to do.”

Fight? That’s like labeling the famous check that Comets’ Darren Archibald unloaded on then Lake Erie Monsters defenseman Karl Stollery as another routine, run-of-the-mill body check.

At 6’4″, 205 lbs., the Minnesotan is considered a “big guy” in the hockey world. It’s not often a man of LaBate’s stature can look undersized. Enter Sam Morin. The 6’7″ (off skates) 227 lbs. defenseman for the Lehigh Valley Phantoms swapped face-off positions with his left winger to square up with LaBate.

“We were up 4-0. I think he (Morin) was trying to get momentum for his team,” said LaBate. “He’s a big guy.”

What transpired next between LaBate and his Chara-like opponent wasn’t pretty, even for hockey. Blows were exchanged. At some point, something, a visor or a fist, connected to the left eyebrow of LaBate. The resulting effect? A deep gash and a black eye that provided one of this season’s most gruesome photos.

Lindsay A. Mogle / Utica Comets

Lindsay A. Mogle / Utica Comets

The now viral photograph that was captured by Comets’ team photographer Lindsay Mogle, showcased LaBate’s bloodied face and helmet visor as he skated to the locker room to get patched up by the team doctor’s. (Warning: Link includes graphic that some may find disturbing: LaBate Photo)

What LaBate did next is exactly what elevates hockey players past all other athletes in terms of toughness. At the

14:34 mark of the third period, LaBate rifled a shot past the Phantoms’ netminder. His first goal as a professional hockey player.

“You can’t take shortcuts,” LaBate emphasized his approach to hockey while standing outside the locker room post-game. “It’s hard to explain the feeling I have on scoring the goal. It took me 15 games to get it – that’s special. But, I am more excited that we won 7-1.”

It’s that tenacity and fortitude that factored into Vancouver’s wanting LaBate to be in their fold when they drafted him in the fourth round of the 2011 NHL Entry Level Draft. Coming to the Comets after four years at the University of Wisconsin -Madison, LaBate was part of a program that had won six national titles, and has advanced to the Frozen Four one dozen times.

The usual sold-out AUD of 3,860 fans seem to have unofficially welcomed LaBate to Utica, on this Thanksgiving Eve.

Although in Utica for a couple months this season, LaBate did have a short introduction to life as a Comet last spring. Signed by the Canucks in April after college, LaBate was dispatched to the team, as the run to the Calder Cup kicked off.

With two regular season games under his belt as a Comet, LaBate tells of staying with the team throughout the run.

“I almost got into a (playoff) game,” LaBate pointed out.

It’s the structured, detailed game; making sure the “little things” get done approach at Wisconsin that LaBate credits his readiness for the pro level.

“Coach (Mike) Eaves expected a lot out of me. I was a late bloomer,” said LaBate.

Skating in the WCHA and Big-10 with the Badgers, and politely calling himself a “late bloomer” is an understatement. But in truth LaBate demonstrated before arriving in Madison that he was, at the very least, a prospect.

Born in Burnsville, Minnesota, and having moved eight miles when five-years-old to Eagan, MN, LaBate flourished as a high schooler at the Academy of Holy Angels in Richfield, MN. The talent and numbers collected by LaBate would lead to him making the rare jump directly from high school to Division-I hockey.

As a Badger freshman, LaBate logged 37 games, and 20 points. It was his time with the Holy Angels Stars that wouldn’t allow college coaches to ignore Joe’s name when it came to recruitment trips.

In two seasons (2009 and 10) at the Catholic college prep school, all LaBate did in his 50 games with the Stars was score 56 goals and gain 107 points. With production like this, it’s no wonder both the Badgers and Canucks took interest in LaBate’s future

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Great article about LaBate in the local Utica newspaper http://www.uticaod.com/news/20160408/fearless-labate-helping-comets-in-front:

Joseph LaBate gets in the way. For the Utica Comets, the forward’s imposing presence has been an advantage recently as he creates headaches for opposing goalies with the regular season winding down.

In Utica’s last four games, the Comets have totaled 16 goals – five on the power play – and three victories as they near a berth in the American Hockey League’s Calder Cup playoffs for the second consecutive season. The 6-foot-4, 205-pound LaBate has played an important part in at least half of those Utica goals – even if his name hasn’t shown up on the scoresheet each time.

LaBate’s role using his size to take up space in front of the crease and limit a goaltender’s view – especially on the Comets’ power-play -- is something in which the Minnesota native takes tremendous pride.

"I love it. Obviously, it’s a hard area to play, but that’s kind of my game. I try to play tough," said LaBate, who has three goals in four games. "I definitely think it takes guts to be in front (of the net). I’m getting hacked and whacked by (opposing) players. Obviously, the puck is coming at me. …

"I think it’s a good spot for me. I’ve got some really good players shooting the puck, so I’m just trying to screen the goalie the best I can."

It seems to be working. For example, LaBate drew a penalty when Binghamton goalie Matt O’Connor was whistled for slashing in the second period March 20 in Utica. Not long after the penalty, the Comets scored on the power play. LaBate had an assist.

"Obviously, any time you’re screening them, you’re taking away their opportunity to see the puck. So, it’s frustrating for them," LaBate said. "I think whenever they get frustrated I’m doing my job pretty well. Because they’re not thinking about the puck, they’re thinking about me in front of them. So, it gets kind of funny. Whenever I hear them yelling at the ref that I’m too close or something, it means I’m doing my job well."

Teammates have taken notice, too. LaBate said Comets alternate captain Carter Bancks has been referring to the 22-year-old as "Martin Hanzal" after the veteran 6-foot-6, 226-pound Arizona Coyotes center who plays a similar role. LaBate said he’s been studying Hanzal in an attempt to add to his game. Veteran center T.J. Hensick, who joined Utica in early March, also praised LaBate.

"He has been absolutely fearless," Hensick said. "He is … extremely talented in front of the net. He doesn’t move when the puck is coming. You see a lot of guys trying to get out of the way. But he stands there and creates havoc whether he’s making contact with the puck or just creating a screen. He obviously can make plays when the puck gets loose there. Having him in front of the net has been huge for our power play. I’m glad to see him having success lately."

LaBate said it is all in an effort to help the Comets. "I want to win every game," LaBate said. "If I can screen the goalie and try to help our team get a goal, I’m going to do that. I’m going to do everything I can to help our team. If I get hit by a puck or take a slash in the arm or the back of the leg that little bit of pain is worth it if you get a goal."

LaBate said he’s gained confidence as his first full professional season with the Comets has progressed. He played two regular-season games with the team last season after playing four years at the University of Wisconsin. He’s totaled nine goals and nine assists in 61 games with Utica this season.

"With (confidence) comes more opportunity," LaBate said. "With some guys in Vancouver right now, that opens up some spots. I continue to work hard and try to play my game to the best of my ability."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Joe LaBate is trying to carve out a niche for himself. He is not a good skater and that will probably always be a weakness. His niche where he showed value the second half of last season was on the power play securely planted directly in front of the goalie. He is fearless in that role taken a beating while never flinching from the the puck blasting towards him. He was able to score several goals this way either from tips, bounces off his body or rebounds.

Coming out of the NCAA his lack of fighting experience showed at times as he didn't always fair too well even against smaller but more experienced fighters. I think he realizes this is another niche he can full so he is attempting to insert himself into more scrums.

I think Joe can add value on the Comets but I'm not sure it will translate to the NHL unless he can improve his skating.

On 9/20/2016 at 0:47 PM, UticaHockey said:

Joe LaBate is trying to carve out a niche for himself. He is not a good skater and that will probably always be a weakness. His niche where he showed value the second half of last season was on the power play securely planted directly in front of the goalie. He is fearless in that role taken a beating while never flinching from the the puck blasting towards him. He was able to score several goals this way either from tips, bounces off his body or rebounds.

Coming out of the NCAA his lack of fighting experience showed at times as he didn't always fair too well even against smaller but more experienced fighters. I think he realizes this is another niche he can full so he is attempting to insert himself into more scrums.

I think Joe can add value on the Comets but I'm not sure it will translate to the NHL unless he can improve his skating.

He has figured out that his only path to the NHL is the 4th line enforcer with grit. It was great to see him start dropping the gloves last year and sticking up for teammates the way he did at the youngstars this year. He spent most of the year with Cassels and they are likely to take another step together this year. All of the injuries to the Canucks and Comets last year gave him a great opportunity and he made the most of his time on the PP1 and top line. He is a younger bigger version of Dorsett if he could ever realize his potential. Unless they phase out fighting, there could be a spot for him in the NHL.

8 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

He has figured out that his only path to the NHL is the 4th line enforcer with grit. It was great to see him start dropping the gloves last year and sticking up for teammates the way he did at the youngstars this year. He spent most of the year with Cassels and they are likely to take another step together this year. All of the injuries to the Canucks and Comets last year gave him a great opportunity and he made the most of his time on the PP1 and top line. He is a younger bigger version of Dorsett if he could ever realize his potential. Unless they phase out fighting, there could be a spot for him in the NHL.

I was actually surprised that more of the 'physical' players did not play a more aggressive game in Penticton. Labate was noticeable in that department and it does count when evaluated. In contrast I was disappointed in Stewart and McEnney for not finishing more checks.

I'm really impressed by Labate. He's really clawed his way up the depth chart. Going from an afterthought of a draft pick to somebody who's putting himself into the conversation for the Canucks future plans. He'll never be a top 6 guy, but if Dorsett goes down with injury this season I can see LaBate being the guy they call up to replace Dorsett's "skill set". I'm hoping he has a good year with Utica.

I don't know that we see him as a call up, even if Dorsett goes down. LaBate would have to really be playing well for that to happen over other players when we have a number of larger, intimidating players still in the roster like Guddy, Tryamkin and Pedan, and then someone like Gaunce as a call up and Virtanen to bang bodies.

On 9/22/2016 at 10:02 AM, Boudrias said:

I was actually surprised that more of the 'physical' players did not play a more aggressive game in Penticton. Labate was noticeable in that department and it does count when evaluated. In contrast I was disappointed in Stewart and McEnney for not finishing more checks.

Stewart yes, as that's his game, but he may have had issues keeping up and staying in position without chasing checks. McEneny, that's not really his game even if he's got a lot of size, as he's more of a skilled guy that is learning to effectively use his size but doesn't play with a ton of grit.

Archived