The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joseph LaBate | C/LW

b3.

Take it for what it's worth.

My mother has a friend who's daughter is dating the brother of Justin Shultz. Wow Thats confusing.

Anyways they're down here visiting and I read a tweet about Shultz from bob Mckenzie.

So I asked her to text shultz's brother and see what's up.

Supposedly Shultz would love to play for Vancouver and that would be his first choice to play since he lives and grew up in kelowna, cheering on the Nucks.

So cross fingers people!!

Take it for what it's worth.

My mother has a friend who's daughter is dating the brother of Justin Shultz. Wow Thats confusing.

Anyways they're down here visiting and I read a tweet about Shultz from bob Mckenzie.

So I asked her to text shultz's brother and see what's up.

Supposedly Shultz would love to play for Vancouver and that would be his first choice to play since he lives and grew up in kelowna, cheering on the Nucks.

So cross fingers people!!

YAY!! Anaheim would hate us with fury though, but who cares.

Something tells me Gillis is doing more behind the scenes then we realize.

For example:

Canucks sign defenceman Lee Sweatt and then three months later they sign brother Bill Sweatt as a free agent.

Canucks draft forward Anton Rodin in the second round, and then 10 months later sign teammate Eddie Lack as a UFA.

Canucks draft forward Joseph Labate, 12 months later sign teammate Justin Schultz?

Also another maybe more far fetched theory. Canucks draft Jordan Schroeder in the first round after he slipped from where many believed to be a top 10 pick. Rumor has it he had some bad interviews that dropped his stock. And who were his teammates? Canucks prospects Taylor Matson and Patrick White. Coincidence?

Gillis seems to be planning two and three steps ahead if you ask me.

Schroeder is definitely one heck of a stretch, as Matson and White were Nonis additions.

They were still part of our organization and our scouts and Gagner would have had regular contact with them.

I know it's a stretch, but I don't think it's inconceivable to think that our scouts/management had contact with Schroeder well before drafting him.

They were still part of our organization and our scouts and Gagner would have had regular contact with them.

I know it's a stretch, but I don't think it's inconceivable to think that our scouts/management had contact with Schroeder well before drafting him.

in order to tell him to intentionally blow the combine interviews so they could draft him? I don't know about that. I mean I joked about that, but I don't think it actually happened, and I think that would be way to risky for all parties involved.

For Sweatt, it was known that the hawks were not going to be able to sign him, so they traded him, and burkie took the bait after everyone knew Bill wanted to hit the free agent market in order to qualify for a larger ELC. burkie got mad and blasted him in the media, and bill went on to sign with us. I think he 100% was influenced by our signing of his brother, and i think Gillis clearly went and got his brother for that purpose, as the signing wasn't announced until the story about bill hitting the free agent market came out.

As for Lack, clearly our scouts talked to him while checking out how Rodin was progressing and convinced him to sign with us, and he was a hell of a signing.

if Justin Schultz signs with us I'd be pleased as hell, and it might be because of something Labate might have said on behalf of gilis, but I think it would be more because of Schultz's love of the canucks when growing up, and the fact that he can choose his own destiny instead of being assigned one. Also, the canucks have a reputation of being one of best for prospect development as of late because of all of the initiatives that gillis has taken in that regard, meaning Schultz may be thinking about his long term career about being the best he can be if he signs with us.

in order to tell him to intentionally blow the combine interviews so they could draft him? I don't know about that. I mean I joked about that, but I don't think it actually happened, and I think that would be way to risky for all parties involved.

For Sweatt, it was known that the hawks were not going to be able to sign him, so they traded him, and burkie took the bait after everyone knew Bill wanted to hit the free agent market in order to qualify for a larger ELC. burkie got mad and blasted him in the media, and bill went on to sign with us. I think he 100% was influenced by our signing of his brother, and i think Gillis clearly went and got his brother for that purpose, as the signing wasn't announced until the story about bill hitting the free agent market came out.

As for Lack, clearly our scouts talked to him while checking out how Rodin was progressing and convinced him to sign with us, and he was a hell of a signing.

if Justin Schultz signs with us I'd be pleased as hell, and it might be because of something Labate might have said on behalf of gilis, but I think it would be more because of Schultz's love of the canucks when growing up, and the fact that he can choose his own destiny instead of being assigned one. Also, the canucks have a reputation of being one of best for prospect development as of late because of all of the initiatives that gillis has taken in that regard, meaning Schultz may be thinking about his long term career about being the best he can be if he signs with us.

I agree, why sign with Anaheim when he can pick and choose which team to go to? If the money is close, he picks Vancouver simply because its his hometown, and it doesn't hurt we'll be serious contenders for the cup for many years. Theres going to be enough spots opening up in the blue line to make his mark if he impresses

yeah he's still playing, and it looks like they'll be going to the frozen four as they are winning 4-1 in the 3rd. Matson has a goal and an assist. i completely forgot about the kids to be honest, as he only had 21 points in 41 games and that was his best performance yet. he's not exactly an offensive powerhouse, but we might sign him and see how he does. he might turn out to be a decent 3rd/4th liner

• 2 months later...
Size, skill & smarts

Wednesday, 13.06.2012 / 2:21 PM

By Tyson Giuriato

A player with that rare combination of size, skill, and grit, is a player every team covets. When you add intelligence to that blend, you have Canucks 2011 draftee Joseph Labate.

The 6-foot-4, 200-pound Labate excelled as a ‘true’ freshman this past season at the University of Wisconsin, posting 20 points (5-15-20) in 37 games, leading all freshmen on the team in scoring, and was one of nine Badgers to play in every game.

Canucks.com recently caught up with the well-spoken Minnesota native to discuss a wide assortment of topics, ranging from his on-ice play to his favorite movies. Want to know what his favorite television series is? Here is a hint: it is legen – wait for it – dary!

Canucks.com: Minnesota is known as the hockey 'hot-bed' of the United States, was this the case growing up in Eagan, Minnesota?

Labate: “Yes growing up in Minnesota you eat, breathe, sleep hockey, whether it be at the youth, high school or college level it is around us everyday. Hockey in Minnesota is more than a sport, it is a lifestyle.”

CDC: Which NHL player did you idolize growing up?

L: “I have always liked watching big skilled forwards. I was a huge Mario Lemieux fan. As I got older I really liked watching Joe Thornton play and seeing how skilled and smart he is on the ice.”

CDC: Your style of play is suited to the Western Hockey League, was there any thought of you coming to Canada and play 'Major Junior' instead of the NCAA?

L: “No, I never considered it, going to college and getting a quality education was very important to me.”

CDC: There are a lot of great schools in the region, why did you choose the University of Wisconsin?

L: “It had everything I was looking for. Great hockey program and great academics, it has a great track record of developing players for the NHL and I really like the coaching staff at Wisconsin. It was close enough so my family and friends can watch me play, they have great facilities for training and one of the best ice rinks to play in the country. I also really liked Madison and how it is a college town with great school spirit.”

CDC: You were drafted by the Canucks in the 4th round, #101 overall, last June. How special of a day was that for you?

L: “It was a great day for my family and I. I was very blessed to have it in my hometown and be able to have my family and friends share in the exciting day. It is something that I will remember and value for the rest of my life.”

CDC: You put up good numbers this past season as a true freshman, how did you feel your season went?

L: “I was very proud of the season I had. I was told it was going to be a very difficult year and some people didn't think I could make a impact coming straight in, but I believe I did. I was able to play in every game and put up points. There were a lot of ups and downs during the season, but I feel like I really benefited from coming straight into college and because of that I am a better player.”

CDC: Next season you will be taking part in an outdoor game against the University of Minnesota at Soldier Field in Chicago, excited?

L: “That is going to be a amazing experience, especially since we are playing our rivals University of Minnesota and being from Minnesota it is going to make it that much more special. It is truly a once in a lifetime opportunity and once in a lifetime game to participate in, I will cherish it for years to come.”

CDC: Student-Athletes in the NCAA spend a lot of time in the weight room, have you noticed a difference after one season with your strength?

L: “Absolutely. I graduated high school at 6-foot-4, 180-pounds and I am currently at 6-foot-4, 200-pounds. I have been working with my current strength coach at Wisconsin for the past year and have continued to make strength gains in all of my workouts and lifts. Those strength gains have directly increased my on ice abilities.”

CDC: Which NHL player, past or present, do you think resembles your style of play?

L: “Over the years I have focused on watching certain players, primarily big, strong, skilled forwards who have the ability to bring a lot to the game. Down the road I hope to bring these same attributes to my team. Some of the players I have focused on watching: Joe Thornton because of how skilled and smart he is; David Backes because he plays with a physical edge in his game but is also a very skilled player and a great leader; Evgeni Malkin because of his ability to bring such finesse, skilled game while being a bigger player in the league. I try to implement many of these skills into my current game to the best of my ability.”

CDC: How are you enjoying the academic life? What kind of courses are you taking?

L: “Yes, I enjoy going to college. It is tough balancing academics and athletics, but I feel like I am figuring it out and learning really strong valuable time management skills. I am taking prerequisite courses to apply to the Business School at Wisconsin.”

CDC: What are some of your hobbies away from the rink?

L: “I enjoy going to my cabin. I spend a lot of time fishing and hunting”

CDC: What genre of music do you listen to?

L: “Country, Rap, Hip-Hop, Old school rock, I have been getting into more electronic music when I work out.”

CDC: What is your favorite movie?

L: “I have too many favorites to list, but currently I really enjoy all types of genres of movies especially: Slum Dog Millionaire, Immortals, Contraband, American Reunion and 21 Jump Street. “

CDC: What book you currently reading?

L: “I have been reading The Hunger Games; some of my other favorite books are Into Thin Air, Harry Potter, and any fishing and hunting books.”

CDC: What are some of your favorite television shows?

L: “My favorite TV Shows are How I Met Your Mother, Spartacus, Terra Nova, and Boy Meets World to name a few.”

CDC: If you were not a hockey player, what would you be?

L: “I come from a family of successful business professionals and could see myself working in that industry primarily in finance because of the strong competitive environment of the industry and the strong focus on performance.”

CDC: Thanks for taking the time to chat with Canucks.com Joseph.

L: “You’re welcome.”

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=634675

• 2 months later...

Canucks Army just did a new interview with LaBate. Some highlights:

DF: In the past few seasons, the Canucks have focused on adding size in the draft in an attempt to establish a more physical brand of hockey. Have they told you that they'd like you work on anything in particular while you're at Wisconsin?

JL: I have been told to work on my overall strength. I'm a 6'4'' forward, weighing in around 205 pounds. There's plenty of weight that I can put on in the future.

DF: There's players out there that seek out physical contact, and then there's players that tend to shy away from it. Which category would you put yourself into at this point?

JL: I would say that I am somewhere in the middle at this point of my career. But I am honestly putting a large emphasis on becoming a more physical player.

DF: I know that you have compared yourself to David Backes in the past, in saying that he's the type of player that you'd like to one day become. Why is that exactly?

JL: I like David Backes because he is a great leader, and a very physical, tough forward with skill. He's a great player and has worked for everything that he has accomplished. He's also from Minnesota, which is cool because he has gone through a lot of the things that I am currently going through in my career.

I am working on the physical aspect of the game, and watching Backes play, you can tell that he plays with a physical edge on the ice. That's something that I'm trying to incorporate into my game. I skated with Ryan Malone this past summer, and I have started watching more of his stuff as well.

everyone in the US will be able to see him play 2x this season:

Sept. 12, 2012

MADISON, Wis. –- On Nov. 30, when the Wisconsin men’s hockey team skates at Denver, you will be able to catch all the action beginning 9 p.m. CT. The same goes for the Badgers’ game on March 1 at Nebraska Omaha at 6:30 p.m. CT.

Those two Badger road games will air on NBC Sports Network.

Both games were originally slated for different start times.

Wisconsin’s game time for its contest against Alaska Anchorage on Jan. 26 at the Kohl Center has also changed. The Badgers will now skate against the Seawolves at 8 p.m., because of a Badger men’s basketball game earlier that day.

Look for the full Badger men’s hockey television schedule in the coming weeks.

Wisconsin opens its 2012-13 season on its first official practice day, Saturday, Oct. 6. The Badgers skate in an exhibition contest that night against the U.S. Under-18 Team at the Kohl Center, which begins at 8 p.m. CT.

The Badgers open the regular season on Friday, Oct. 12 against Northern Michigan at the Resch Center in Green Bay, Wis. UW’s home opener is Friday, Nov. 2 against Colorado College.

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/091212aaa.html

I'm looking forward to it.

Archived