The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joseph LaBate | C/LW

b3.

Definitely needs to work on staying on his feet but looks huge and skates well in open ice out there. Looks like he needs to bulk up quite a bit to get there, and his hands so he doesn't lose the puck so much while handling it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Labate had one shot, a faceoff loss (hes a winger not a center) and no points tonight but the main reason was about 13 min in to the second period he got 5 and a game for checking from behind. At least he's on the 1st line (his linemate also got 5 and a game 6 min into the 3rd for contact the the head).

I watched a replay of that game on theScore this morning. I'll tell you this, that Badgers team looked absolutely terrible for the 2nd time that I've watched a game of theirs this season. There was no flow and almost zero creativity out there. I'm not surprised the points aren't coming given the supporting cast.

Good players make those around him better too and find ways to score, though.

Pointing fingers at the supporting cast is a poor excuse IMO.

I'm just saying that there isn't a single Badger that looks like they have much of an offensive skillset to begin with. Labate is fitting right in with the lot of them in that he did a whole bunch of nothing in both games (just like everyone else on that team).

Zengerle is hurt, and they are really missing Kerdiles

• 4 weeks later...

In last night's 2nd game of a back to back against Alabama-Huntsville, Labate scored a goal, was +2 and fired 7 shots on net for Wisconsin in a 4-1 win.

Wisconsin doesn't play again until January 4 so Labate will have several weeks off after a great showing on Thursday and Friday.

Took me a bit to get to the game on the PVR (the 2nd one against UAH mentioned above, it was on Sportsnet at 6am PT Sunday morning) but Labate looked good with the puck. He wasn't as noticeable without it, taking a penalty late in the first for a high hit right after another of his teammates had taken one in the same play, but not doing as much otherwise in support.

What he did with the puck was good though:

- His goal was from him banging in a loose puck off a rebound in tight. He fought past the forward defending him to get to the right hand side of the net as a shot was coming from the left. Good play.

- Had a blast from the point as he was coming on the ice from a change and the puck came back to him. His team was clearing the O-zone in case it got out so there was no one in front of the net and the UAH goalie didn't have too tough a time with it.

- Had a great chance when the puck popped out to him between the hashmarks on a rebound but the goalie made a good save to knock it down with his glove despite a mad scramble in front of him.

- Tried a power move circling off the boards into the slot in the 3rd, and had the strength to get to the hashmarks again, but his shot was stopped as he didn't have support in front.

Labate has been playing on the top line as a LW, although he was originally drafted as a center, so it's likely we'll see him develop into a top 9 winger. Hopefully he can be similar to Higgins with more size: good skill with the puck, strong on the forecheck and able to step in at center as needed. I don't see him as defensively responsible as Higgins, but he can be a frustrating player if he uses his size.

Do you mean John Gaudreau? The 5'7", 155lb LW taken 3 picks behind Labate by Calgary who plays for Boston College? He has some good stat this year, but considering BC has lost only twice this year (12-2-1) compared to UofW being 5-7-5 I think that probably helps him out a bit. UofW has just two players in double digits for points where BC has six players in double digits, so that probably helps as well.

Then there's why we'd want another small player who may or may not be able to compete against pro players when we could instead take a chance on a 6'4", 194lb center/wing with skill using our 4th rounder.

Archived