The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joseph LaBate | C/LW

b3.

if only I could see the pic... I'd also like to comment on his gnarley toes.

Well, I did post both the link and the pic just in case. Did the link not work?

EDIT: Forget about his toes, we can just watch your sig all day!

Guest Dasein

it's blocked at work :emot-parrot:

It's a picture of LaBate on a scale. He weighs in at 203.6 lbs now - he was 190lbs at the draft :)

An 18 year old 6'4" 205 lbs center with a great work ethic. I like what I'm seeing.

It's a picture of LaBate on a scale. He weighs in at 203.6 lbs now - he was just 180lbs at the draft :)

6'4", 205 lbs center with a great work ethic. I like what I'm seeing.

as long as that's not a result of the wellwood workout plan, then I am also liking what you are seeing...

^ Apparently he likes to play nasty and get physical, and has some soft hands, skill and smarts to go with it too.

I'm really hoping that our college prospect development experience is better than what we've seen at the U of M over the last few years. Wisconsin, this is your chance to sway me into believing the NCAA can be a very viable path to the NHL again. wink.gif

^ Apparently he likes to play nasty and get physical, and has some soft hands, skill and smarts to go with it too.

I'm really hoping that our college prospect development experience is better than what we've seen at the U of M over the last few years. Wisconsin, this is your chance to sway me into believing the NCAA can be a very viable path to the NHL again. wink.gif

Wisconsin is actually a very good program, especially right now. The gophers have been going downhill fast for a number of years now. hopefully wisconsin stays a good program.

Thats great to hear having a Big Gritty Centremen that puts up points, any chance he gets pick for US WJC

Playing nasty is all fine and good when you play in a league that doesn't allow fighting. He'll have to be able to answer the call in the pro ranks if he wants to continue doing that

Guest Dasein

Thats great to hear having a Big Gritty Centremen that puts up points, any chance he gets pick for US WJC

Zucker - Bjugstad - Etem

Prince - Galchenyuk - Coyle

Miller - Grimaldi - Biggs

_____ - Shore - Noesen

I'm not super familiar with US prospects, but that's the lineup I conjured up while looking at the 40 invites listed on USA Hockey (http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Usahockey.aspx?NAV=TU_04_01_06%26ID=304892)

It is criminal that Galchenyuk has not been invited at all, but he will be there for Team USA come December. This kid is simply too good to not be a part of the 2012 USA WJC squad even though he is draft eligible in 2012 (Top 5 pick). Galchenyuk is hands down the most offensively talented U20 USA prospect right now that is not playing in the NHL.

Anyways, LaBate certainly has a chance, but he would need to really impress in the first half of his season with Wisconsin to earn a spot on Team USA's 2012 WJC squad.

If LaBate has a strong year, he will have a good chance to make the 2013 team.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Labate made a successful debut for the U of Wisconsin Badgers, scoring a goal and an assist in a 3-2 OT loss to Northern Michigan.

Labate's goal was on the PP and tied the game with 1:17 left, sending it to OT.

In his second game, Labate picked up one assist as the Badgers returned the favour to the Wildcats, winning 3-2.

Great start to the year for Labate in the tough NCAA.

Labate made a successful debut for the U of Wisconsin Badgers, scoring a goal and an assist in a 3-2 OT loss to Northern Michigan.

Labate's goal was on the PP and tied the game with 1:17 left, sending it to OT.

In his second game, Labate picked up one assist as the Badgers returned the favour to the Wildcats, winning 3-2.

Great start to the year for Labate in the tough NCAA.

Expecting big things from this big kid. I'd love to have a 6'4" 220lb (when he fills out) center on our team any day.

Looks like he's got offensive skills to boot. I'm hoping for a PPG season from LaBate this season.

Expecting big things from this big kid. I'd love to have a 6'4" 220lb (when he fills out) center on our team any day.

Looks like he's got offensive skills to boot. I'm hoping for a PPG season from LaBate this season.

He's playing on the wing atm in Wisconsin, with Derek Lee at center. Who knows if he is changing position or if the Badgers just want him there for now. As long as he puts up points it doesn't matter.

He's playing on the wing atm in Wisconsin, with Derek Lee at center. Who knows if he is changing position or if the Badgers just want him there for now. As long as he puts up points it doesn't matter.

It kind of matters. A 6'4" center is a lot more valuable than a 6'4" winger IMO. And we need a big centerman coming up our pipeline, because after Henrik and Daniel retire, we only have Cody and Jordan in our system that has a chance at making the team. LaBate's size is much needed down the middle.

Maybe LaBate's on the wing because the team is really deep at center and he got thrown on wing because of seniority. Hopefully he'll switch back to center sooner rather than later.

• He has committed to the University of Wisconsin for the fall of 2011.

• In 2010-11, he had 27 goals and 49 points in 25 games for Holy Angels and was a finalist for Minnesota’s Mr. Hockey Award.

• His pre-game superstition is changing his stick tape color if he didn’t score in the previous game and his most memorable hockey moments have been wearing his high school jersey for the first time and signing with the University of Wisconsin.

FAVORITES

NHL team: San Jose Sharks

NHL player: Joe Thornton

Shootout move: “Fake shot, five hole”

Goal celebration: “Always spur of the moment”

Video game: NHL and Halo

Movie: Troy

TV show: How I Met Your Mother

Music artist: Wiz Khalifa

Book: Lord of the Rings series

Home-cooked meal: Chicken, broccoli and potatoes

Activity away from the rink: Golf and tennis

updated and expanded favorites list from the university of wisconsin website:

MADISON, Wis. --With the first game of the men's hockey season just over four weeks away, we begin to look at the newest members of the Badgers, by getting to know their likes, dislikes and personalities a little better.

We continue with forward Joseph LaBate: LaBate joins the Badgers straight out of Academy of Holy Angels in Richfield, Minn., where he earned team MVP honors both his junior and senior seasons, as well as All-Conference and All-State honors in 2011. A Minnesota Mr. Hocky Finalist, LaBate was drafted in the fourth round of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, 101st overall to the Vancouver Canucks.

Favorite athlete: Mario Lemieux

Favorite NHL player: Joe Thornton

Favorite sports team: San Jose Sharks

Favorite school subject: Ceramics

Favorite food: Anything my mom cooks and chocolate malts made by my dad

Favorite movie: Slumdog Millionaire

Favorite superhero: Batman

Favorite musician: Wiz Khalifa

Favorite book: Into Thin Air

Favorite breakfast cereal: Fruity Pebbles

Last book read: Freakonomics

Favorite hockey memory: Signing with Wisconsin and getting drafted

TV show you never miss: Entourage

Age started playing hockey: 3

First job: Best Buy -- Sold mobile phones

Fantasy Job: NHL

Before each game: Change the tape color on my stick blade if I didn't score in the game before

Childhood hero: My dad

Most famous person you've met: Mario Lemieux (what I was 12 at a hockey tournament)

Dream car: Mercedes g500

Hobbies/ Interests: Fishing/ Hunting

Hidden Talent: I have a potter wheel and kiln-- I make my own pottery

If you could have dinner with any people in history: My Uncle Pete

Autobiography title: Mount Hockey: Climbing to the Top

Greatest invention of the last 100 years: Internet

Coolest Halloween costume: Where's Waldo

For me, playing college hockey is: Proof that hard work and sacrifice pay off

Greatest inspiration: Playing in the NHL

Why did you come to Wisconsin? Great academics, great coaching, great hockey program, loyal fans, great facilities and close enough to my home so my family can come and watch

If you could have one super power, what would it be? To teleport

Favorite thing about your country: Freedom

Favorite event in the summer Olympics: Gymnastics

One wish, what would it be: To play in the NHL

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/091211aaa.html

Archived