376 replies to this topic

#211 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:39 AM

That's good to hear, he had an absolutely terrible start to the season, lets hope he can pick it up, everyone was so hyped up about this kid last year, I really hopes he can pan out into a decent nhl player. Which year of college is this for him?

Sophomore year. He'll have at least another season or two to develop in college.

#212 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

Labate saw his points streak come to an end, although it was in a winning cause as his Wisconsin Badgers picked up the 2-1 OT win in the 2nd game of a back to back against Minnesota State. He finished the game with 4 shots on net and an even rating.

#213 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

Labate just (this is a replay) scored the lone goal vs Miami U in the third period off an end-to-end rush but before you get too excited, the goalie whiffed it bigtime.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#214 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

Labate just (this is a replay) scored the lone goal vs Miami U in the third period off an end-to-end rush but before you get too excited, the goalie whiffed it bigtime.

Was just going to mention this. Here's some tweets and quotes re: Labate I'm borrowing from HFBoards (I'm sure that's okay to do):

Summary of the goal:

And LaBate puts Wisconsin up 1-0 over Miami with 8 minutes to go. Great rush end to end, a manages to squeak one under the goalie's arm, far side from the left wing.

About 5 minutes before scoring he stole the puck in Miami's end and fed a teammate alone in front, who proceeded to hit the crossbar. Has looked good down low and along the boards, not afraid to muck it up in the corners. Nice to see his game come around lately. Missed the first period but he's looked great and the guys calling the game have been talking him up.

Some tweets:

Andy Johnson ‏@AndyJohnsonB5Q
Miami goaltender Jay Williams just closed his fivehole on Joseph LaBate on a point-blank one-timer. Nice setup from Derek Lee.

Labate has arguably been UW's best forward tonight. 3 shots in the first, another opportunity there as he uses his big frame out front.

Ohhh...Great pass from Joseph LaBate to Derek Lee on a line-rush...and Lee rings one off the crossbar. Still scoreless, 12:50 to play.

BADGER GOAL--Joseph LaBate who has been great all night goes coast-to-coast and hand-cuffs Williams under his glove to give UW a 1-0 lead.

One more comment:

still getting a ton of ice in the last 5 minutes with Wisconsin trying to shut it down. Definitely trusted by coach.

^ The above comments were made by a poster who was actually watching the game, obviously. Just thought it would be neat to get some feedback from someone who actually got to see Labate.

#215 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

BTW, Labate also finished the game with 4 shots on net and a +1 rating.

#216 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

Was just going to mention this. Here's some tweets and quotes re: Labate I'm borrowing from HFBoards (I'm sure that's okay to do):

Summary of the goal:

And LaBate puts Wisconsin up 1-0 over Miami with 8 minutes to go. Great rush end to end, a manages to squeak one under the goalie's arm, far side from the left wing.

About 5 minutes before scoring he stole the puck in Miami's end and fed a teammate alone in front, who proceeded to hit the crossbar. Has looked good down low and along the boards, not afraid to muck it up in the corners. Nice to see his game come around lately. Missed the first period but he's looked great and the guys calling the game have been talking him up.

Some tweets:

Miami goaltender Jay Williams just closed his fivehole on Joseph LaBate on a point-blank one-timer. Nice setup from Derek Lee.

Labate has arguably been UW's best forward tonight. 3 shots in the first, another opportunity there as he uses his big frame out front.

Ohhh...Great pass from Joseph LaBate to Derek Lee on a line-rush...and Lee rings one off the crossbar. Still scoreless, 12:50 to play.

BADGER GOAL--Joseph LaBate who has been great all night goes coast-to-coast and hand-cuffs Williams under his glove to give UW a 1-0 lead.

One more comment:

still getting a ton of ice in the last 5 minutes with Wisconsin trying to shut it down. Definitely trusted by coach.

^ The above comments were made by a poster who was actually watching the game, obviously. Just thought it would be neat to get some feedback from someone who actually got to see Labate.

Those are really over the top portrayals of what was happening, imo, but I wasn't watching every second of play so IDK.

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#217 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:11 AM

Labate continues to be a part of what little is going right offensively for Wisconsin as he assisted on their only goal - scored by Labate's linemate Michael Mersch - in a 2-1 loss to Miami U. It was the 2nd game of a back to back with Miami U.

He also finished with 3 shots on net and an even rating.

#218 wshdrvvn

wshdrvvn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

good to see he's been picking it up lately and really is a part of wisco's limited output. bounced back from his slow start well i'd say. i'm hoping he can match his 20 points from last year at least, with a few more goals. (5 Gs 15 As last season)

Edited by wshdrvvn, 20 January 2013 - 04:36 PM.

#219 wshdrvvn

wshdrvvn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

double post

Edited by wshdrvvn, 20 January 2013 - 04:36 PM.

#220 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:09 PM

Those are really over the top portrayals of what was happening, imo, but I wasn't watching every second of play so IDK.

Were they really that over the top?
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#221 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:30 PM

Labate had no points, 2 shots on net and an even rating for Wisconsin in a 5-2 win over Alaska Anchorage today. He was skating on a line with Mark Zengerle and Michael Mersch, who had 2 and 3 points respectively in the game, so he at least seemed to be a part of the offense for Wisconsin in some way or another.

#222 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:48 AM

It was another uneventful game for Joseph Labate today, as he had no points and only 1 shot on net and an even rating for Wisconsin in a 2-1 win over Alaska Anchorage today.

#223 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:01 AM

Labate assisted on Wisconsin's only goal of the game - scored by Michael Mersch - and had 2 shots on goal and a +1 rating in a 1-1 final tie with North Dakota.

He continues to skate as the LW on Wisconsin's top line with Mark Zengerle and Mersch. They were the starting line in today's game, along with the D pair of Jake McCabe and Frankie Simonelli so he's definitely playing with some strong, talented players.

#224 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:01 PM

Again, Labate assisted on Wisconsin's lone goal, this time in a 4-1 loss in the 2nd game of a back to back against North Dakota, and added 4 PIMS and was +1 on the night.

#225 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:50 PM

Labate had 1 assist, 1 shot on net and an even rating for Wisconsin today in a 3-2 win over Bemidji State.

#226 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

Labate went scoreless and had 3 shots on net, 4 PIMS and an even rating for Wisconsin in a 3-2 loss to Minnesota.

#227 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

Why haven't I seen LaBate in the last period and a half since I've started watching the Wisconsin vs Minnesota outdoor classic?

3-1 Minnesota.

#228 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

I just caught a glimpse of #16 hunched over at the bench... but I haven't see him on the ice once.

#229 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

No idea. There's no post-game story on the WCHA website yet so I guess we'll have to wait for details.

When you say "hunched over", do you mean he looked injured or he was just leaning over the boards?

#230 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:30 PM

No idea. There's no post-game story on the WCHA website yet so I guess we'll have to wait for details.

When you say "hunched over", do you mean he looked injured or he was just leaning over the boards?

He just had his head down on the bench for a prolonged (5-8 seconds as the camera was panned on him) but he came out on the ice for the team photo.

Coach's benching?

#231 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

LaBate had an assist in a 4-0 win over Penn State.

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#232 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,942 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

lp
Posted Image

#233 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

Wisconsin/Penn state is on Big Ten right now

Blue Team

#234 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:11 PM

LaBate had a goal in the 3-2 OT loss

Good shot on the rush from the left wing.

Blue Team

#235 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:27 PM

Thanks for the updates Hansen 36. What's your general impression of Labate at this point?

#236 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:42 AM

Thanks for the updates Hansen 36. What's your general impression of Labate at this point?

It hasn't changed much since last year, despite his sophomore 'slump'. He's a big center with speed and size who can play the wing. He's surprisingly shifty for a big guy, sort of like Erik Cole but he doesn't use his speed/size to bring the physicality though. He could definitely be more physical but that can be taught, his skills can't. He has a good shot too.

The game was really boring and probably some of the worst college hockey I've seen so far. Wisconsin is definitely missing Schultz. I'm remaining solid in my projection that, after a full four years in Wisconsin, and then another in the AHL, LaBate will end up being a Chris Higgins type player. Third liner who is effective at all ends of the ice and can play second line when needed.

If everything goes absolutely right for him his total top end peak would be a poor-man's Blake Wheeler.

Edited by Hansen 36, 26 February 2013 - 12:43 AM.

Blue Team

#237 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:49 AM

It hasn't changed much since last year, despite his sophomore 'slump'. He's a big center with speed and size who can play the wing. He's surprisingly shifty for a big guy, sort of like Erik Cole but he doesn't use his speed/size to bring the physicality though. He could definitely be more physical but that can be taught, his skills can't. He has a good shot too.

The game was really boring and probably some of the worst college hockey I've seen so far. Wisconsin is definitely missing Schultz. I'm remaining solid in my projection that, after a full four years in Wisconsin, and then another in the AHL, LaBate will end up being a Chris Higgins type player. Third liner who is effective at all ends of the ice and can play second line when needed.

If everything goes absolutely right for him his total top end peak would be a poor-man's Blake Wheeler.

Good stuff. That 2011 draft is shaping up to be wonderful.

#238 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:42 PM

Labate scored a goal, picked up 2 PIMS and put 3 shots on goal in a 4-3 win for Wisconsin over Nebraska Omaha. He finished +1 on the night.

#239 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:41 PM

Labate picked up an assist and put 2 shots on goal for Wisconsin in a 6-2 win over Nebraska Omaha today. He finished even on the night.

#240 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:43 PM

Labate scored a powerplay goal and had 4 shots on net and a -1 rating for Wisconsin in a 4-2 loss to St. Cloud State today.

Wisconsin will complete their regular season tomorrow with another game against St. Cloud State.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.