b3.

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Assistant to Regional Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,483 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:01 PM

Posted Image

Scouting Report:
Potential to become an excellent role player. Has great size and wheels and works really hard. Gets involved in the rough stuff. Somewhat limited offensive upside. (EP 2011)
Posted Image

#2 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,230 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:21 AM

not a lot of hope for him to make the WJC squad this year, i wonder if he's free to come over to our farm team this year (or if we'd even want to remove him from sweden right now)

#3 Champions of Nothing

Champions of Nothing

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 30,961 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:49 AM

not a lot of hope for him to make the WJC squad this year, i wonder if he's free to come over to our farm team this year (or if we'd even want to remove him from sweden right now)

If he's nmot going to make the WJC he probably won't be able to play in the AHL next season.

He'll probably stay in Sweden for 2-3 years before coming over.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Sig by Ranyart. FEEL FREE TO USE EITHER!

VOTE FOR EDLER!

And might as well vote for Daniel, Henrik, Kesler, Luongo and..... I guess Aaron Rome?

#4 Number1Pick

Number1Pick

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:18 PM

I swear, if Winnipeg didn't move up, we would've gotten Zachary Yuen. Probably be a great story. Better than being next to the hated Byfuglien
You could see that awkwardness between them two during the interview when talking about the Canucks, and losing, and Toews, and riot ... sigh.
Follow me @ twitter.com/my604life for all hockey talk on draft day & FA.

#5 CRAZY_4_NAZZY

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:28 PM

Sounds like a tougher and lean version of Anton Rodin minus the offensive skill

2moy3iq.png

#6 SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:20 PM

From Joey Kenward's CDC feature (includes quote from AGM Gilman):

With their second pick in the 4th round (120th), Vancouver selected Ludwig Blomstrand of Djugarden Jr in Sweden. A 6'1", 180lbs. left winger, Blomstrand played in 35 games, scoring just three goals and four assists. He was ranked 74th on NHL Central Scouting's final list of European skaters.

“He’s very much like Jannik Hansen,” says Canucks Assistant General Manager Laurence Gilman. “He’s a tremendous skater who plays with some level of tenacity. We think he can be a solid two-way guy in the NHL “

http://canucks.nhl.c...vid=DL|VAN|home

From Derek Jory's feature:

Ludwig lands in Van
After spreading their picks around the world from Denmark and the Czech Republic before heading home to North America with a Canadian and an American, the Canucks used three of their last four selections on players from Sweden.

Forward Ludwig Blomstrand was the next player on the board for Vancouver going to the Canucks 120th overall.

The native of Uppsala, Sweden, the capital of the fourth largest city of Sweden, is another lanky player at 6-foot-1 and 198-pounds.

Following a seven point (3-4-7) season for Blomstrand with Djurgarden Jr. of the Swedish Junior Elite League, Elite Prospects said the 18-year-old has “potential to become an excellent role player” because he “has great size and wheels and works really hard” and “gets involved in the rough stuff.”

I couldn’t dig up much more on Blomstrand, but keep in mind Thomas Gradin’s track record of scouting out Swedish players. Nuff said.

http://canucks.nhl.c...vid=DL|VAN|home

#7 Straight up lazy

Straight up lazy

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 03:32 PM

He has a great name. So I am sold.

#8 willhouse

willhouse

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 04:50 PM

POPULAR

It's a Gradin pick so I'm sold. We'll see in 3 years if he pans out.

#9 SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:10 AM

There's been a lot of negativity about this pick (especially over at HFBoards--big surprise there) but I think quite a few people are reading too much into the low scoring numbers from the stats last season.

From what I've been hearing, the low productivity is more a function of the role he's been asked to play.

If you look at his numbers in the J18 (13 points in 8 games), you can see that Blomstrand can produce, when playing a more offensive role at the lower levels. But he seems to be a much better checker/defender and grit guy than an offensive player. The fact that he played 6 games at the WJC-18 and 15 total international games (in 2010-11) for Sweden's U18 team speaks to his abilities as a role player.

Definitely not a guy who'll ever be top-six, but he seems to have good potential to contribute as a bottom-six guy.

The 2011 EliteProspects profile (also quoted in the OP) seems to summarize his upside very well:

Potential to Become an excellent role player. Has great size and wheels and works really hard. Gets Involved in the rough stuff. Somewhat limited offensive upside. (EP 2011)

http://www.elitepros...hp?player=21651

I'd expect that he also scored well on character and hockey intelligence. There are definitely positives there, if you accept that he's a role player and not a superstar, and that's not even taking into account the intangibles that Gradin likely saw in him.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME, 26 June 2011 - 11:11 AM.

#10 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,143 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:59 AM

A poor man's Jannick Hansen. Late pick, most picks don't pan out anyway. At least this guy will have a decent shot to make our fourth line in a few years.
Sig too big.

#11 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,775 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:23 AM

POPULAR

if this guy makes the Canucks, Don Taylor will have fun w/ his name: "and Ludwig Beethovens one against the Blues, no less! What a symphony on skates!"

Edited by h0cky4r33k, 27 June 2011 - 01:24 AM.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#12 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 10:12 PM

There's been a lot of negativity about this pick (especially over at HFBoards--big surprise there) but I think quite a few people are reading too much into the low scoring numbers from the stats last season.

From what I've been hearing, the low productivity is more a function of the role he's been asked to play.

If you look at his numbers in the J18 (13 points in 8 games), you can see that Blomstrand can produce, when playing a more offensive role at the lower levels. But he seems to be a much better checker/defender and grit guy than an offensive player. The fact that he played 6 games at the WJC-18 and 15 total international games (in 2010-11) for Sweden's U18 team speaks to his abilities as a role player.

Definitely not a guy who'll ever be top-six, but he seems to have good potential to contribute as a bottom-six guy.

The 2011 EliteProspects profile (also quoted in the OP) seems to summarize his upside very well:

http://www.elitepros...hp?player=21651

I'd expect that he also scored well on character and hockey intelligence. There are definitely positives there, if you accept that he's a role player and not a superstar, and that's not even taking into account the intangibles that Gradin likely saw in him.

I hope you're right. Not really a fan of drafting someone with limited offensive upside, so I hope this is true and that he's just being asked to take on a more defensive role instead.
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#13 CRAZY_4_NAZZY

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 10:29 PM

He is the next Frederik Sjostrom.

2moy3iq.png

#14 bAsRa17

bAsRa17

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 12:50 PM

Booming shot.

#15 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 12:53 PM

Booming shot.

Does he really?
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#16 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,614 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:23 PM

If he turns out anything like Hansen I'll be a happy camper. I don't see how he would be a poor man's Hansen seeing as he's a 4th round pick (120th Overall) when Hansen himself was drafted in the 9th round (287th Overall). If he develops well this could turn out nicely.

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#17 BureisBest

BureisBest

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:28 AM

Nothing wrong with drafting a hard nosed checker who can skate in the 4th round. Those are the guys who come through in the playoffs usually...see Hansen, Lapierre. And yes...good name for sure. Hope to see Ludwig wheeling on our 3rd/4th line someday, maybe higher you never know.
Posted Image

#18 Barney Stinson

Barney Stinson

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,935 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:09 AM

It's like people expect us to draft superstars in the 4th round
Posted Image
Sven Bärtschi watch: 0GP 0G 0A 0Pts

#19 whysoserious

whysoserious

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:01 PM

POPULAR

It's like people expect us to draft superstars in the 4th round

Well, the LA Kings managed to draft Aaron Rome in the 4th round. Are you trying to say Rome isn't a superstar?
Posted Image

#20 Aquiace

Aquiace

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,480 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:53 PM

POPULAR

Well, the LA Kings managed to draft Aaron Rome in the 4th round. Are you trying to say Rome isn't a superstar?

I've tried and tried, but I can find no flaw in this logic. You win, good sir.
Posted Image

#21 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:15 PM

He most likely won't make Sweden's WJC team this season, but will probably make it the following season as a 19 year old as a role player on the 3rd/4th line.

If he makes it this year, we've got a real gem here people. He won't make it as a scoring player, but as a role player. If he can crack Sweden's U20 team at 18 as a role player, beating out his 19 & 20 year old competitions, it means that this kid has a heck of a talent skating, hitting, checking - a young Jannik Hansen, but better.

EDIT: Not trying to over-hype this kid. His potentials are really low (bottom 6 role player), but he is almost guaranteed to reach them. It's important to have great role players, and he might become one some day.

Edited by Dasein, 23 July 2011 - 11:18 PM.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#22 BureisBest

BureisBest

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 03:06 PM

Ludwig's season has started on Djurgarden J-20 team. 1 assist in 2 games so far.

Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by BureisBest, 18 September 2011 - 03:07 PM.

Posted Image

#23 BureisBest

BureisBest

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:03 PM

Been up with the big club for 4 games this year, but got 0 minutes in one game, 27 seconds in another, 46 seconds in another, and 8 minutes in one of them.

His game is not so much scoring but he has 3 assists in 7 games in his regular league of SuperElit.

Edited by BureisBest, 21 October 2011 - 10:04 PM.

Posted Image

#24 shirooo

shirooo

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:33 PM

whats the point of putting in a player for 0 mins played?

Edited by shirooo, 21 October 2011 - 11:33 PM.

#25 b3.

b3.

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Assistant to Regional Manager
  • 26,483 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:59 PM

Been up with the big club for 4 games this year, but got 0 minutes in one game, 27 seconds in another, 46 seconds in another, and 8 minutes in one of them.

His game is not so much scoring but he has 3 assists in 7 games in his regular league of SuperElit.

That has to be so frustrating.
Posted Image

#26 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,614 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:48 AM

A kid has 3 A in 7 Games and they're averaging less than 2 min a game? He's playing with grown men and producing at a wonderful level considering his time and they're not playing him? Man I feel sorry for him..

Blue Team

#27 BureisBest

BureisBest

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 06:19 AM

A kid has 3 A in 7 Games and they're averaging less than 2 min a game? He's playing with grown men and producing at a wonderful level considering his time and they're not playing him? Man I feel sorry for him..

No. He is averaging that time in the 4 games he played with the big club (Djurgardens - SEL). He has 3A in 7G playing for his regular club (Djurgardens J20 - SuperElit)
Posted Image

#28 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,614 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:32 PM

Ludwig's been playing in the Elitserien, he has 1 assist in 18 games and 4 penalty minutes. Looks like he's been playing on the 4th line and seeing as he had 11g 10 a 21p in 27 games playing in the SuperElit, I'd say he's had a pretty good season. Has the potential to become a great roleplayer like Hansen, albeit more physical and less skilled offensively.

*Also bumping the thread back into existence*

Blue Team

#29 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:16 AM

Ludwig's been playing in the Elitserien, he has 1 assist in 18 games and 4 penalty minutes. Looks like he's been playing on the 4th line and seeing as he had 11g 10 a 21p in 27 games playing in the SuperElit, I'd say he's had a pretty good season. Has the potential to become a great roleplayer like Hansen, albeit more physical and less skilled offensively.

*Also bumping the thread back into existence*

Thanks for the update. It's much easier to get results for Canucks prospects in North America. Tidbits on European prospects are usually few and far between, probably because the Euro league sites are a headache to navigate and understand. Appreciate it.

#30 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,614 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:28 AM

Thanks for the update. It's much easier to get results for Canucks prospects in North America. Tidbits on European prospects are usually few and far between, probably because the Euro league sites are a headache to navigate and understand. Appreciate it.

Yeah, no problem. I was bored so I went through and checked in on all of our prospects over the last hour or so and I noticed that his thread hasn't been used since October so I made a small update. Also, use EliteProspects for our Euro prospects, it's quite headache free actually haha.

Blue Team

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.