The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ludwig Blomstrand | LW

b3.

It'll be even tougher in NA.

Aren't Swedish leagues notoriously hard to score on? I mean AHL has better players (AHL allstars> SEL allstars), but for an individual it is easier to score in the AHL. At least that's what I always thought, I could definitely, 100%, be wrong though.

Aren't Swedish leagues notoriously hard to score on? I mean AHL has better players (AHL allstars> SEL allstars), but for an individual it is easier to score in the AHL. At least that's what I always thought, I could definitely, 100%, be wrong though.

I wouldn't say notoriously hard, it's just a different game over there. The larger ice surface makes it so that play can be much more creative and players need speed and stamina to cover the entire ice. Defending is much more difficult in that sense. I think Blomstrand will succeed more on the smaller ice because he has speed and tenacity, but it will be downplayed in Sweden, because those assets are required to play a chippy game over there. When he comes over to the AHL, his speed will be on showcase because of how much tighter the play is, he'll probably be flying out there for the first bit.

I don't think it's harder to score, it's just lower scoring as they only seem to give 1 assist per goal. But the increased physical play and less space to make plays is a challenge for many Europeans when they come over. Still though, he's got the size and speed to handle the smaller rinks so hopefully it isn't too big of a gap.

Zeroes across the board for Blomstrand in Almtuna's 3-1 win over IK Oskarshamn a couple days ago. He won 5 of 8 faceoffs, though.

Despite his cold streak, he's still been skating on the 1st line so lack of opportunity isn't an excuse here for his poor production of late. He just needs to pick it up, plain and simple.

By the way, this was Blomstrand's last game of the season, as the Allsvenskan regular season is over and Almtuna finished 12th in the conference so they won't be in the playoffs.

Wonder if the Canucks are intent on signing him. Does anyone know his contract status in Sweden?

I think he can be a guy ready for the AHL next season. He is a thick guy, with some good speed once he gets going. Should be able to handle the rigors of the AHL better than Rodin has, for example. I would definitely be encouraging Blomstrand to come over next season, i think he needs to play at a quicker pace and more aggressively than in the handful of games i've seen, if he is going to live up to Gilman's billing of a Hansen-mold. The AHL and the right coach can bring that out of him.

Here is a highlight video for him i just completed.

^ Sweet video!

If it would work out and especially if he would be willing to, does anyone else think he would be a good option for the k-wings?

I think he's more likely to go straight to the Wolves as he'd probably be immediately better than that goon they currently have on their 4th line LW. Not that Bootland wouldn't say no to it if, in the off chance it came down to that, the Canucks wanted him to go there first.

I think he can be a guy ready for the AHL next season. He is a thick guy, with some good speed once he gets going. Should be able to handle the rigors of the AHL better than Rodin has, for example. I would definitely be encouraging Blomstrand to come over next season, i think he needs to play at a quicker pace and more aggressively than in the handful of games i've seen, if he is going to live up to Gilman's billing of a Hansen-mold. The AHL and the right coach can bring that out of him.

Here is a highlight video for him i just completed.

great video, thank you. when he's at his best (AKA in a highlight video :P ) he looks like the type of euro who could excel after making the switch to NA. I hope we see him soon! like canvoucer said, put him with schneider and desbiens and chicago has a pretty good shut down line and could give archie a chance to play more offensively.

I really hope our future 3rd ljne is Blomstrand-Gaunce-Hansen. All 3 are gritty defence-first players with some offensive upside (not really sure about Blomstrand, but Hansen can put up 35-40 and Gaunce may be able to hit 45-55)

Archived