The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Frank Corrado | D

b3.

More like is hard to cheer for Canada when they don't look at who performed well at the selection camp and instead went and chose players that under-performed. As a Canadian, I will cheer for the Canadian team as much as the next Canadian. But I really hope that goaltending and defense will not be the reason why we failed to win gold at this year's tournament.

If it is, it won't only be because we didn't have Corrado on defense

Rielly - Hamilton (offensive players)

Harrington - Ouellet (was gonna say Xavier's not bigger than Frankie but since he was a lock)

Reinhart - Murphy (Impact offensive defenseman with solid D-man)

Wotherspoon (touted as "reliable" defensive D-man-- could've seen Corrado here)

I can kind of see how they could justify Frank getting cut, since he's more of a Jack-of-all-trades, master-of-"none" in that he can play offensively and defensively but he's not a big-time scoring D-man.

Ouellet had 60 points in 63 games last season, Hamilton's been a scoring machines and Rielly/ Murphy have been p.p.g. D-men, whereas Frank had 26 points in 60 if the stats are right. He's not quite the offensive juggernaut.

With the reliable guys, Harrington's a shutdown man, same as Reinhart and Wotherspoon's pretty reliable

I think for me it would have come down to Frank and Wotherspoon battling for the 7th spot since if not for his offensive play Ryan Murphy would've been locked by Steve Spott his coach, whereas with the similar size and safe plays by both Frank and Tyler I'm not sure why Tyler would have gotten the upper hand on "size" when Frank not only isn't small (Tyler's only got 1 inch and 6 lbs on Frank) but can also hit, skate out of trouble and even score on the other end.

Anyways, they've made up their mind and good for him to not pull any Samuelssons.

So what if some people won't be cheering that hard for Canada now? I know I won't be now. Having a Canuck on the team adds to the experience imo.

I won't be cheering for Canada to lose, but I don't really care if they win or not. They didn't even pick the players that played the best to make the team.

So what if some people won't be cheering that hard for Canada now? I know I won't be now. Having a Canuck on the team adds to the experience imo.

I won't be cheering for Canada to lose, but I don't really care if they win or not. They didn't even pick the players that played the best to make the team.

Well aside from possibly Luongo (and who knows if he even will be) there's most likely not going to be any Canucks on our Olympic team in 2014 either, will you not care then?

Well aside from possibly Luongo (and who knows if he even will be) there's most likely not going to be any Canucks on our Olympic team in 2014 either, will you not care then?

Not as much without a Canuck. Like I said, it gives it an extra boost. For 2014, I'd be cheering for a Canada vs Sweden final, for the sake of the Sedins of course.

It's hard to cheer for players that I either don't like or am just neutral about.

Why did they bother having this stupid camp? It was just a waste of time. The best players (imo) in the camp were MacKinnon, Shinkaruk, Brussoit and Corrado. The fact only 1 of those 4 (and MacKinnon probably would have been chosen even with a bad camp) shows that Hockey Canada had already chosen their team. All this camp did was make 12 players miserable.

Why did they bother having this stupid camp? It was just a waste of time. The best players (imo) in the camp were MacKinnon, Shinkaruk, Brussoit and Corrado. The fact only 1 of those 4 (and MacKinnon probably would have been chosen even with a bad camp) shows that Hockey Canada had already chosen their team. All this camp did was make 12 players miserable.

Thats a fair point, it does seem pretty much year to year they know who they want to take...so why bother?

I get that we're dissappointed that Frankie didn't make the team, as it does make the games more exciting with a Nuck prospect playing. But saying you don't support Team Canada, or even worse, saying that you'll cheer against them is so juvenile. Do people not understand that domination at the junior level indicates a superior skill level and training program? Would you like to see Canada become lower in the world rankings because Corrado didn't make the team? Yikes!

It's true. Really going in to a three day camp you do have to have a pretty good idea of your team but it seems pretty hard to make it from camp if you aren't on the list. Lots of those guys played in the challenge series last summer and if Murray had of been healthy all seven D would have been from that club. Spott coached that team as well and those guys have international experience that the other guys just don't have. And they also have a lot longer with the coaches. How much have the coaches seen of guys like Corrado that just come to the fall camp? It's a huge disadvantage for those players.

And to those that think cutting Corrado means Canada will have are hard time? Really? I wish he would have made it but there is some serious talent on that team. Having guys like RNH, Harrington, Hamilton, Strome, Scheifele, Hubredeau are going to make this team very tough to beat.

No sadly there was a political element to the decision. Those who were watching on Fasthockey were privy to a discussion between a ton of scouts who all said Frank's quality of play made him a lock. He was just in another league compared to the other d men. This kid belongs next to Hamilton/Murray/Harrington/Reilly.

great, now all the armchair GM's will toss Corrado into the mix in their proposals...

Even Sidney Crosby didn't make the olympic team in 2006, sh!t happens. Move on

and we all know how well that turned out... being complacent in the failures of today because of the failures of the past is a cycle that dooms itself to infinite repetition.

I don't support someone suddenly cheering for another nation's team just because Francesco was cut though. If you are Canadian, cheer for your home country... Seriously.

and we all know how well that turned out... being complacent in the failures of today because of the failures of the past is a cycle that dooms itself to infinite repetition.

well Stamkos didn't make it in 2010, but that turned out ok. he'll be a lock for Sochi though

Archived