The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Frank Corrado | D

b3.

if anything, it tells me the coach probably wanted him, but hockey canada decided to go another direction.

I doubt it, no matter how bad Murphy played he was back out next shift coughing up the puck again. I was completely blown away when he was out in overtime against Russia

I'd say Frankie is probably 3-4 years away yet at least. Kcon will probably play that many games just due to injuries even if he doesn't stick

I don't think he will be here before Connauton, but I think he should take around 2 years ... 3 years max to develop.

I'd say Frankie is probably 3-4 years away yet at least. Kcon will probably play that many games just due to injuries even if he doesn't stick

I disagree. I think after this year he'll make the jump to the AHL and after one or two seasons he'll be with the canucks in a role similar to tanev's currently.

He's proved he was well worth the pick MG used upon him, and it's nice to see he's a consistent performer as proved by his first game with his new team.

3-4 years? That is absolutely an exaggeration.

Last season, he adapted seamlessly to AHL play in his 6 games, 2 of those playoff games. His ability to read the play at a higher level than others will be his meal ticket to the NHL a lot quicker than 4 years. After watching his stint in the AHL, i was convinced he would be able to play top 4 minutes with the Chicago Wolves this season, if only he were allowed. He is mentally ready, his body just needs to catch up and i've noticed significant changes in his strength from his first camp to now. He's not that far away.

Corrado is already better than K-Conn, and if they were to both play in the NHL right now Corrado would make the easier transition.

K-Conn is severely overrated and has absolutely no hockey inteligence when it comes to playing defense. Offensively, he's a one trick pony as well.

Corrado is going to have NHL success because of his supberb skating ability and smart decision making. Definitely a future top 4 d man.

Corrado is already better than K-Conn, and if they were to both play in the NHL right now Corrado would make the easier transition.

K-Conn is severely overrated and has absolutely no hockey inteligence when it comes to playing defense. Offensively, he's a one trick pony as well.

Corrado is going to have NHL success because of his supberb skating ability and smart decision making. Definitely a future top 4 d man.

Connauton is only overrated if you've set his expectations too high. We've known from the start he needs to work on his defence, and that has improved. He'll likely always need a stronger defence partner 5 on 5 though.

As far as his one trick, what do you think that is? His slapshot? He has an excellent wrister as well. Do you think it's his passing? He's also a pretty good skater and can rush the puck fairly well. Absolutely offence is his focus, but he has a few tricks in that regard.

Corrado, on the other hand, has developed from a tactical defensive game (with a bit of grit) into a two-way defender capable of joining the rush and scoring, as well as being a leader. I don't disagree he has the advantage overall, but Connauton may turn out to be very useful as a offensive D-man.

Connauton is only overrated if you've set his expectations too high. We've known from the start he needs to work on his defence, and that has improved. He'll likely always need a stronger defence partner 5 on 5 though.

As far as his one trick, what do you think that is? His slapshot? He has an excellent wrister as well. Do you think it's his passing? He's also a pretty good skater and can rush the puck fairly well. Absolutely offence is his focus, but he has a few tricks in that regard.

Corrado, on the other hand, has developed from a tactical defensive game (with a bit of grit) into a two-way defender capable of joining the rush and scoring, as well as being a leader. I don't disagree he has the advantage overall, but Connauton may turn out to be very useful as a offensive D-man.

Good post and I agree with it. Why do some people here talk like they expect all our prospects with a bit of upside to become all around studs? The Canucks already have their top 4 set for years now with Edler, Garrison, Hamhuis and Bieksa so why should we care if Connauton will never be great defensively and only effective in the offensive end? Even if he becomes a bottom pairing defenseman that is relatively weak in his own end but great at rushing the puck and manning the point on the PP, that's fine by me. In fact, the Canucks could use someone like that on the 2nd PP unit with Edler working full time on the 1st unit.

Anyway, sorry to derail the thread. Back to the Corrado discussion!

Despite what many Canucks fans feel about Kevin Bieksa, being better than him in his prime is a tall order. Bieksa is a top 4 two way defenseman who has several 40+ point seasons under his belt. Not necessarily arguing the point, just want to make sure that we don't take "better than Bieksa in his prime" too lightly.

Despite what many Canucks fans feel about Kevin Bieksa, being better than him in his prime is a tall order. Bieksa is a top 4 two way defenseman who has several 40+ point seasons under his belt. Not necessarily arguing the point, just want to make sure that we don't take "better than Bieksa in his prime" too lightly.

Very true. For what it's worth (nothing), Corrado was drafted 150th. Bieksa was drafted 151st. So clearly Corrado must be a bit better :P

So is frank Corrado going to be a shutdown defenseman some toughness and chip in offensively? and provide leadership....the next Kevin Bieska 2.0?

Think of Tanev, with more offensive upside and a bit more feisty. IMO, Corrado has an outside chance of making the team or be a call up as depth down the road this season.

Kevin Bieksa was a guy with the physical tools to succeed as a bottom pair when he was a prospect. Both Tanev and Corrado are smarter players. Both are closer to Hamhuis in terms of style.

Bieksa had a lot of luck, and second chances because of his toughness. Having AV as his AHL coach helped. Playing with Mitchell and Hamhuis as his pairs helped him a lot. Absolutely no way he is the same player without them. Still insanely inconsistent, and needs to keep things simple. Still the weakest link out of the top 4 but no one else has his toughness. Putting 40 points isn't saying much, Brent Sopel also put 40 points up here.

Both Tanev and Corrado have the potential to be better than Bieksa. Corrado has more upside than Tanev.

On the other hand, someone who is much similar to Bieksa is Kevin Connauton. If Connauton becomes more willing, starts working harder, and get the breaks Bieksa got, then he could very well be a Bieksa V.2. It took 4+ Years in the NHL for Bieksa to get it defensively. Still makes stupid mistakes though.

The thing that is unusual about Corrado and Tanev is that they are great positionally-minded D-men who are great all-around skaters. Those are the two things that are common among the consistently great defensemen in the league. If they are able to develop physicality, puck handling, or shooting, they could be high-level NHL d-men. I really hope we hold on to them both, I'd like to see them play together at some point, despite them both being RHS.

So is frank Corrado going to be a shutdown defenseman some toughness and chip in offensively? and provide leadership....the next Kevin Bieska 2.0?

I'd say his style of game is closer to Dan Hamhuis than Kevin Bieksa. Not saying he is going to be as good as Hammer, but both play a very safe game whereas Bieksa is a bit more "risky".

Archived