The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Frank Corrado | D

b3.

Those are stats of a struggling player if you ask me. No excuse.

I've seen defencemens with "decent" stats, even on terrible teams, AHL or NHL.

No excuse.

How is he struggling? This is his first season in the AHL and he's on a team with not much offence so 6 points in 24 games seems pretty decent to me.

Utica has scored 29 goals this year. Seeing as most defensemen on almost any level score .4-.5 ppg as top 4 in the NHL, and seeing as how Corrado as a rookie in the lowest scoring team has 6 points in 24 games or roughly .25 ppg as a rookie D man

He is doing fine

Those are stats of a struggling player if you ask me. No excuse.

I've seen defencemens with "decent" stats, even on terrible teams, AHL or NHL.

No excuse.

my god man - who cares about points for this kid. He is an AHL rookie on a last place team who struggles to score goals. Do you really expect him to be beasting it offensively. Obviously you don't know much about hockey.

At this point, I would be more concerned about several other things.

1.How many minutes is he getting each night?

2.Is he playing well? that is - has he become the team's go to guy against the other team's top lines? \

3.He is been played in all situations? PK,PP, last minute of game, increased minutes late in a close/important game.

4.Does he make good outlet passes?

5.How is his character?

6.Points

my god man - who cares about points for this kid. He is an AHL rookie on a last place team who struggles to score goals. Do you really expect him to be beasting it offensively. Obviously you don't know much about hockey.

1.How many minutes is he getting each night?

2.Is he playing well? that is - has he become the team's go to guy against the other team's top lines? \

3.He is been played in all situations? PK,PP, last minute of game, increased minutes late in a close/important game.

4.Does he make good outlet passes?

5.How is his character?

6.Points

Exactly! His time in Utica is all about learning the 'd' side of the game. If he can do that then Van

can bring him in as a bottom pairing. Both Tanev and Stanton paid their dues in the AHL and it shows. I would even argue that Edler did not spend enough time in Winnipeg.

1.How many minutes is he getting each night? - The AHL doesn't keep stats on playing time but I can tell you that Corrado is getting top line minutes.

2.Is he playing well? that is - has he become the team's go to guy against the other team's top lines? \ - He is playing very well. Has the occasional turn over in his own end but by far is the most impressive D prospect on the Comets.

3.He is been played in all situations? PK,PP, last minute of game, increased minutes late in a close/important game. - Usually plays on the PK and typically on the 2nd PP unit. Sees a lot of ice late in close games.

4.Does he make good outlet passes? - Most always. Plays with his head up, sees the ice well and rarely makes a bad blind pass.

5.How is his character? - Hard to judge this one but always well spoken and very positive about his teammates in interviews. Looks like a happy kid who is learning to be a pro and enjoying himself while doing it.

6.Points - Has been more of a stay at home D-man but has the ability to jump into the play. This is an area that he can work on while playing in the AHL.

1.How many minutes is he getting each night? - The AHL doesn't keep stats on playing time but I can tell you that Corrado is getting top line minutes.

2.Is he playing well? that is - has he become the team's go to guy against the other team's top lines? \ - He is playing very well. Has the occasional turn over in his own end but by far is the most impressive D prospect on the Comets.

3.He is been played in all situations? PK,PP, last minute of game, increased minutes late in a close/important game. - Usually plays on the PK and typically on the 2nd PP unit. Sees a lot of ice late in close games.

4.Does he make good outlet passes? - Most always. Plays with his head up, sees the ice well and rarely makes a bad blind pass.

5.How is his character? - Hard to judge this one but always well spoken and very positive about his teammates in interviews. Looks like a happy kid who is learning to be a pro and enjoying himself while doing it.

6.Points - Has been more of a stay at home D-man but has the ability to jump into the play. This is an area that he can work on while playing in the AHL.

Thanks! Always appreciate your comments.

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't catch the game yesterday, but how did he look?

hard to say really. played less than 10 minutes. had a nice shot off the post where he made a nice little adjustment around the guy pressuring to get a clear shot away. i didnt see any glaring mistakes but i don't think torts quite knows how to best use him just yet.

As last night's game progressed he visibly settled down and started to play. His skating stands out, by the end of the game he was looking good. Great move to get the shot off the cross bar, good defensemen find the net even if it's not a rocket.

He showed well in the third period last night. He is super shifty with his skating and can use that to open up space. I hope he can settle in, get some more ice time (first PP unit please), and notch a point or two before he is inevitably sent down due to Edler, Stanton, and Alberts getting healthy.

• 3 weeks later...

I heard it was a snipe, but havn't seen the goal.

Frank and Nick getting on the scoreboard!

It was a real nice snipe while streaking in on the right side. The Comets had a tired line on the ice but Frankie who just came on jumped into the play. Ferriero entered the zone and dished it off to Frankie and took the opportunity to change with the other forwards leaving Frankie 1 on 3 against the Wolves. Instead of just buying time for the forwards to complete their change Frankie skated to about the face off dot and unloaded a beautiful wrister just under the bar on the blocker side.

• 5 months later...

I think he's really being overlooked by most people. I love the healthy competition that exists amongst our bottom 6 forwards and bottom defenceman. He's going to be getting a good chunk of playing time due to players being injured and will push for full time duties next year. He seems to have gained a solid amount of muscle and playing as the no 1 defenseman in Utica will allow him to develop into a solid top 4 dman.

I think he's really being overlooked by most people. I love the healthy competition that exists amongst our bottom 6 forwards and bottom defenceman. He's going to be getting a good chunk of playing time due to players being injured and will push for full time duties next year. He seems to have gained a solid amount of muscle and playing as the no 1 defenseman in Utica will allow him to develop into a solid top 4 dman.

As tough as things were in Utica last year they did play their way out of it and Corrado was part of that. Really thought he should have spent the rest of the Utica season there trying to make playoffs. I

doubt the Van experience last April was worth much for him. I expect another year in Utica will prepare him for the Canucks. How well Bobby Sangs plays will make a big dif on his position on the depth chart.

To date I have not seen more than #5 or #6 potential for Corrado. Early yet.

Archived