The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Frank Corrado | D

b3.

As of now the #6 spot is open. One of Weber, Stanton, Sangunetti(sp?) or Corrado will get it. My guess is Weber will get it and Frank will be the first call-up.

Also that kid in the video looks like he could be Lars Eller's brother.

As tough as things were in Utica last year they did play their way out of it and Corrado was part of that. Really thought he should have spent the rest of the Utica season there trying to make playoffs. I

doubt the Van experience last April was worth much for him. I expect another year in Utica will prepare him for the Canucks. How well Bobby Sangs plays will make a big dif on his position on the depth chart.

To date I have not seen more than #5 or #6 potential for Corrado. Early yet.

Funny from my perspective all the tests he's been given he's come out with flying colours. Since I first watched him in his first Prospects camp I've noticed his positioning has been very good. He rarely gets pulled out of position and as long as his partner is doing his job Corrado is OK. Tortorellas defensive system didn't do the kid any favours.... but there again most of the Vcr Defense failed to thrive....except maybe Tanev. I'd be disapointed if he didn't make it to the big club this coming season

Funny from my perspective all the tests he's been given he's come out with flying colours. Since I first watched him in his first Prospects camp I've noticed his positioning has been very good. He rarely gets pulled out of position and as long as his partner is doing his job Corrado is OK. Tortorellas defensive system didn't do the kid any favours.... but there again most of the Vcr Defense failed to thrive....except maybe Tanev. I'd be disapointed if he didn't make it to the big club this coming season

I agree there are lots of positives about Corrado. Like Tanev we still don't know where they will top out at. The RD is still a issue in Van from the offensive side. Another year of AHL play will give Corrado a pretty solid base. Not suggesting he would not be a call up. At his age I prefer he gets lots of TOI and as a 5 or 6 in Van that might not happen enough.

I agree there are lots of positives about Corrado. Like Tanev we still don't know where they will top out at. The RD is still a issue in Van from the offensive side. Another year of AHL play will give Corrado a pretty solid base. Not suggesting he would not be a call up. At his age I prefer he gets lots of TOI and as a 5 or 6 in Van that might not happen enough.

I'm thinking Tanev has been a pain is the a$$ for his last two contract. At first his father wanted to be his agent and then Gilman asked that he get himself an agent because they weren't getting any where. The agent they chose I understand was a cut rate sort of guy and I suspect his father is very much part of the contract talks...in short a Hodgson Mk2 situation so frankly I would not be surprised if they traded him this season and in which case Corrado takes his place, plus they've covered all eventuallities by signing both Weber and Bobby Sanguinetti. both RH defensemen

I'm thinking Tanev has been a pain is the a$$ for his last two contract. At first his father wanted to be his agent and then Gilman asked that he get himself an agent because they weren't getting any where. The agent they chose I understand was a cut rate sort of guy and I suspect his father is very much part of the contract talks...in short a Hodgson Mk2 situation so frankly I would not be surprised if they traded him this season and in which case Corrado takes his place, plus they've covered all eventuallities by signing both Weber and Bobby Sanguinetti. both RH defensemen

Considering Tanev's development history he could easily have a chip on his shoulder that might not just be his father. From a undersized kid who thought about quitting the game to actually making the NHL is a great story but one can imagine how many times he was put down. Tanev played top 4 minutes last year

but still hears the 'not big enough' comments, me being one. Yet each year he continues to improve. I

suggest we do not know yet where he will peak.

Could Van get a 2nd Rounder for Tanev? It appears that Benning made his choice and kept Tanev over

Garrison. It was a vote of confidence to Tanev by Benning and he should take it as such. IMHO the days

of the relatively long duration/NTC deals are done in Van. Benning strikes me as a tougher deal maker. I liked the Tanev deal. If he continues to develop he can get more money in short order.

I liked the Tanev deal. If he continues to develop he can get more money in short order.

Thats good for Tanev but not good for the clubs Cap management.

Tanev has signed two consequtive 1 year contracts ie he's showing no commitment to the club...and remember he's a RFA right now just wait until he hits UFA ( 2016?). Vcr show cases him and Tanev moves on to the highest bidder.

I agree Benning made a statement with Garrison but lets be honest Garrison was streched beyond his capacity ( IMO the worse trade MG made ) Benning was fortunate to get a taker**. I have to believe the D will look much better in this coming season including Edler Sbisa and Stanton at Garrisons left spot.. And with any luck one of of Corrado, McNally ( didn't show up at the prospects camp ? ) Andersson, Biega, Cedarholme, Tryamkin, Tommernes or Hutton stepping up in the near future.

** If Vey is half of what we're told he can become this might rank up there with the Erhoff/White trade

I do not see the issue here. Both of his last two contracts he has signed before camp started. This last one very early into the off season and at somewhat of a discount (IMO). This suggests to me that he is very cooperative and is willing to work with management, as well as, earn his paydays in the future.

There have been much worse "pain in the ass" signings throughout the league.

These bridge contracts are supposed to be the time a team can make a little hay. Getting a longer term a relatively low out lay. If this had been $2 million per for 3 seasons I'd be OK. Regardless Vcr has to up the offer next season, and the year after that. He's a UFA I believe 2016

These bridge contracts are supposed to be the time a team can make a little hay. Getting a longer term a relatively low out lay. If this had been $2 million per for 3 seasons I'd be OK. Regardless Vcr has to up the offer next season, and the year after that. He's a UFA I believe 2016

Still don't see the problem. The fact that he isn't demanding longer terms tells me he thinks he can improve and management agrees.

I agree Benning made a statement with Garrison but lets be honest Garrison was streched beyond his capacity ( IMO the worse trade MG made ) Benning was fortunate to get a taker**. I have to believe the D will look much better in this coming season including Edler Sbisa and Stanton at Garrisons left spot.. And with any luck one of of Corrado, McNally ( didn't show up at the prospects camp ? ) Andersson, Biega, Cedarholme, Tryamkin, Tommernes or Hutton stepping up in the near future.

** If Vey is half of what we're told he can become this might rank up there with the Erhoff/White trade

Remember that MG got Garrison for free, as a FA. Benning got a 2nd round pick for Garrison, whereas StevieY got but a 6th for Purcell/Gagner. School's in, professor Benning at the lectern.

Could Van get a 2nd Rounder for Tanev? It appears that Benning made his choice and kept Tanev over

Garrison. It was a vote of confidence to Tanev by Benning and he should take it as such. IMHO the days

of the relatively long duration/NTC deals are done in Van. Benning strikes me as a tougher deal maker. I liked the Tanev deal. If he continues to develop he can get more money in short order.

The Garrison move was more about capspace and dumping an NTC. I'd say they look tentative on Tanev, holding the option to trade him off later in the season and replace him with Frankie. Would think if he was a certain part of their future they'd get him in for 3+ years.

Yeah Garrison was about Cap Space for sure....from the Vcr perspective but he was wanting in his role. Benning did well to find some one to trade him to IMO I couldn't imagine who would want the Garrison package for that sort of money and for that length of time.

Mind you the Leafs gave Franson a 1 year $3.3 million contract

If I were Tanev's agent, I think i would be doing the same thing he is doing now with Chris' contracts. His consistent improvement each year gives him the capability of negotiating for a raise after each season so far. I would want to negotiate a raise each season rather than accept a baseline payday that won't reward him for improving as a player. If he can keep getting 1 year deals all the way up to UFA status, he will have the ball in his court for a nice long term deal when the time comes.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to wrap my head around something.

Is it just an unfortunate incident where the Canucks were playing well so they didn't put Corrado in the lineup? Because what's the point of calling a guy up from the minors if he isn't going to play any games and then send him down a week later? All he did was practice, or am I missing something here. Isn't it better for his development for him to be playing games where he is a impact player than practicing with the big club doing 4th D-pairing reps?

Archived