The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Frank Corrado | D

b3.

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff Beukeboom knows a thing or two about playing defence. He has four Stanley Cup rings to prove it.

The big, bruising defenseman won three cups with the Edmonton Oilers (1987, 1988, and 1990), and one with the New York Rangers in 1994, although most of us don’t remember that last one happening.

Beukeboom was known as one of the top defensive defencemen in the league, and certainly one of the most physical, hardest hitting players to patrol the blueline in recent memory. Now he has turned to coaching and currently serves as an assistant coach with the Sudbury Wolves of the Ontario Hockey League. One of the players Beukeboom coaches in Sudbury is Vancouver Canucks draftee Frankie Corrado, who was chosen in the fifth round of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.

Canucks.com recently spoke with Beukeboom to gain some insight on Corrado from a coach’s perspective.

Canucks.com: Coach Beukeboom thanks for taking the time to chat with us. How are you enjoying coaching? Are you having fun?

Beukeboom: “It’s great. I like working with the kids, especially a kid like Frankie (Corrado). It’s challenging and fun at the same time, I’m really enjoying it.”

CDC: You have coached Frankie for three seasons now, how much has he grown as a young man on and off the ice in that time?

B: “Quite a bit. He came in as a 16-year-old and has done really well, he is a good kid that has grown a lot and has always shown a lot of promise. He has taken that natural progression from a 16-year-old to 17-year-old, and now he is a leader, drafted and signed into the NHL.”

CDC: In a span of only a few months he was drafted into the NHL, played in NHL preseason games, and signed a contract with the Canucks. How did he handle all of that? Did you see much of a change in his attitude when he returned to Sudbury at the start of the season?

B: “Yeah, he was more confident, more mature. I think any time that happens to a kid it helps not to worry about what you need to do that year to get a contract.”

CDC: Frankie made a lot of progress this last year: he went from a fifth round draft pick to being named a finalist for the Max Kaminsky Trophy, an award that goes to the OHL’s most outstanding defenseman. Would you say this year was a ‘coming out’ party for him?

B: “Yeah definitely, he was spectacular all year. He got a puck in the mouth, which was a little bit of a setback, it took him a bit to get back to where he was, but he is the real deal, good player, and good kid.”

CDC: How beneficial to Frank was getting some AHL experience with the Chicago Wolves at the end of the season?

B: “I think it was good. Some kids don’t realize how tough the AHL is, it was good for him to play against men as opposed to being an older player in junior. Now he knows what it is like to be a pro and see guys who are trying to battle for jobs for next year and make the NHL. I think it’s a bit of an eye-opener for most kids. I talked to Chicago Wolves head coach Craig MacTavish a bit, and he really likes him, and the organization obviously really likes him. He is on the right path.”

CDC: What would you say is his biggest strength on the ice?

B: “His positional play. He gets in the battles, he is not the biggest or strongest kid but he has a real strong stick. In his own end he is always on the right side of the puck with an active stick. When he tries to do too much he finds himself in trouble like most young kids, but he doesn’t do that very often.”

CDC: If there is a current or former NHL player that plays a similar style to Frank, and who would that be in your opinion?

B: “There are a couple players that come to mind that I played with, Charlie Huddy and Bruce Driver. Just complete players that can do it all and play in any situation. Dan Hamhuis is another example, a pretty unheralded player, a very complete player, and I think Frankie is along those lines.”

CDC: Can you give us some insight on to what kind of person he is off the ice?

B: “He is very good with the young guys and takes them under his wing. He is very caring and remembers what it was like when he was coming into the league (OHL). Every year we have had our midget draft he always is texting me to get the kids numbers that we drafted to talk to them, wish them luck, and help them out along the way. He always looks out for others and is very valuable in that way.”

CDC: He likes to play the guitar, have you heard him play?

B: “Yeah a little bit. He has brought it on the bus a few times, there are a couple other guys that play it, but I know he is a little bit more accomplished then them. He enjoys it, that’s for sure.”

CDC: Frankie is known as the team DJ, how do you like his taste in music?

B: “(Laughs), quite honestly I’m usually in the other room so I don’t listen much to the music, and I’m not much of a music person so I can’t comment on that.”

CDC: What do you think of his moustache when he grows it?

B: “I can’t talk, I am not a real bearded or moustache person myself, but from what I have seen of it, it should get better with age, just like a fine wine.”

CDC: We have all seen that amazing end-to-end goal he scored against London last season, could he have done that if you were patrolling the London blueline?

B: “(Laughs), I would say I hope not, but who knows, it’s not like I have never been burnt like that before.”

CDC: Thanks again for sitting down with Canucks.com, Coach Beukeboom, it has been a blast.

B: “No problem, anytime.”

Guest Dasein

Huge season for Frankie.

I hope he keeps this up and improves even more, and maybe get an invite to the WJC camp for next year!

Huge season for Frankie.

I hope he keeps this up and improves even more, and maybe get an invite to the WJC camp for next year!

If he can have a good start next season, I think he's got a shot.

Alot of good competition though, but his defenceman of the year nom should help. And the fact that he will be an older player in junior should help.

Guest Dasein

Yeah I agree.

There will be three returnees from the 2012 WJC tournament: Dougie Hamilton, Scott Harrington and Ryan Murray. Both Hamilton (won) and Harrington were nominated along with Corrado as OHL Defenseman of the Year while Murray is playing in the Men's World Hockey Championship right now before even being drafted by an NHL team. So if none of the three make the jump to the NHL, all three are locks barring any injuries.

Seeing as how Murray is already playing against men at the international level, I would bet that he is going to make whichever team that drafts him. Harrington has the second best chance but I don't see Pittsburgh rushing him - he'd have to absolutely blow their minds to stick to the team. Hamilton has no chance making the Bruins - they are too deep.

So assuming that only Hamilton and Harrington return, that is two roster spots locked up going into camp. Luckily for Corrado, only one of them (Hamilton) shoots right, meaning there are 3 roster spots still open for him to take.

On the left side, the options are plenty: most likely to make the team are Duncan Siemens (tough stay-at-home defenseman), Morgan Rielly (2nd ranked NA defenseman this upcoming draft), and Stuart Percy. Derrick Pouliot and Griffin Reinhart (more likely) are also strong possibilities.

On the right side, the main competition for Corrado is Ryan Murphy (offensive juggernaut with defensive risks), Mathew Dumba (captained the U18 team to Gold last summer) and Cody Ceci (3rd ranked NA defenseman this upcoming draft - also the only defenseman to be nominated OHL defenseman of the year to not be drafted).

With his AHL experience and strong leadership qualities, Corrado has the edge of experience over Dumba and Ceci. He is also more defensively stable than Murphy. That being said, Corrado still has to work really hard this summer on his overall game to make this team. He will need a strong offensive start to his season next year in order to be considered, as Team Canada rarely picks a late round pick to be on its roster.

I think the best chance Corrado has is being that #7 man as the overall solid defenseman, or on the right side on the bottom pairing.

Rielly - Hamilton

Harrington - Ceci

Siemens/Reinhart - Dumba/Corrado/Murphy

Percy/Dumba/Corrado/Murphy

I hope to see a Canucks prospect on the Canadian roster next year - it's been a while.

Yeah I agree.

There will be three returnees from the 2012 WJC tournament: Dougie Hamilton, Scott Harrington and Ryan Murray. Both Hamilton (won) and Harrington were nominated along with Corrado as OHL Defenseman of the Year while Murray is playing in the Men's World Hockey Championship right now before even being drafted by an NHL team. So if none of the three make the jump to the NHL, all three are locks barring any injuries.

Seeing as how Murray is already playing against men at the international level, I would bet that he is going to make whichever team that drafts him. Harrington has the second best chance but I don't see Pittsburgh rushing him - he'd have to absolutely blow their minds to stick to the team. Hamilton has no chance making the Bruins - they are too deep.

So assuming that only Hamilton and Harrington return, that is two roster spots locked up going into camp. Luckily for Corrado, only one of them (Hamilton) shoots right, meaning there are 3 roster spots still open for him to take.

On the left side, the options are plenty: most likely to make the team are Duncan Siemens (tough stay-at-home defenseman), Morgan Rielly (2nd ranked NA defenseman this upcoming draft), and Stuart Percy. Derrick Pouliot and Griffin Reinhart (more likely) are also strong possibilities.

On the right side, the main competition for Corrado is Ryan Murphy (offensive juggernaut with defensive risks), Mathew Dumba (captained the U18 team to Gold last summer) and Cody Ceci (3rd ranked NA defenseman this upcoming draft - also the only defenseman to be nominated OHL defenseman of the year to not be drafted).

With his AHL experience and strong leadership qualities, Corrado has the edge of experience over Dumba and Ceci. He is also more defensively stable than Murphy. That being said, Corrado still has to work really hard this summer on his overall game to make this team. He will need a strong offensive start to his season next year in order to be considered, as Team Canada rarely picks a late round pick to be on its roster.

I think the best chance Corrado has is being that #7 man as the overall solid defenseman, or on the right side on the bottom pairing.

Rielly - Hamilton

Harrington - Ceci

Siemens/Reinhart - Dumba/Corrado/Murphy

Percy/Dumba/Corrado/Murphy

I hope to see a Canucks prospect on the Canadian roster next year - it's been a while.

agreed. It would be nice to have an individual to cheer for on team canada, instead of just the team in general. cody was the last team canada canucks player we've had to cheer for.

Guest Dasein

Yup. Unless we trade up to a top 10 pick and take a Canadian defenseman (because there is no Canadian forward that is good enough to go top 10 this year which is just sad), Corrado is our best chance.

I really hope we can pick up Rielly or Reinhart. If not, go foreign and take Ceci or Maatta.

Bottom line, I hope we trade up and take a stud defenseman!

Heartily agreed!

Last year we started by drafting players 6'2", 6'3",6'5", 6'4" and 6'1" > 4 forwards and a goalie, then finally a D in Corrado. Midway through the year before we signed 6'3" 210 lb Darren Archibald. Then at this deadline we acquired 6'3" 214 lb Kassian. A trend in improving forward size for sure!

Now it's time to put some size with skill into our defensive pool. Sauve appears a marginal chance to make it at this point, but is our most physically ready D man. Sauve aside, we do not have a single prospect on D over 195 lbs.

:huh:

Yup. Unless we trade up to a top 10 pick and take a Canadian defenseman (because there is no Canadian forward that is good enough to go top 10 this year which is just sad), Corrado is our best chance.

I really hope we can pick up Rielly or Reinhart. If not, go foreign and take Ceci or Maatta.

I would love it so much if we could land Maatta. I've watched him play all year with the Knights and I haven't admired a junior defenseman this much in a long time.

Pretty impressive that Corrado got nominated for OHL defenseman of the year. After receiving an NHL contract months after being drafted, nabbing an OHL D-man of the year nomination and being a regular on the blueline in the AHL playoffs at the end of the year, the kid's confidence has got to be soaring. Great, great pick!

according to his twitter he just tried out a new stick at the "reebok skate" and his shot was clocked at 100MPH. at such a young age that would be quite the feat, and it would mean great things to come.

He's gotta be kidding right?

If not, that's unreal. That's harder than Connauton's shot that won him the hardest shot competition at the AHL All-Stars. :shock:

He's gotta be kidding right?

If not, that's unreal. That's harder than Connauton's shot that won him the hardest shot competition at the AHL All-Stars. :shock:

he wasn't, because it was tweeted by someone else congratulating him on the feat, and he retweeted it. then he explained where it happened in a seperate tweet. i'm guessing it was tweeted by someone running the ice session.

apparently it was tweeted by a ccm reebok rep who was tweeting all the speeds of the different players.

OZLA_reasonably_small.jpg

Scott Oswin @OZZ1977

Negotiating and landing the top CHL / AHL and NHL players to endorsement deals. Always enjoy offering advice.

Toronto, Ont ·http://www.Reebokccm.com

Tweets

Scott Oswin ‏@OZZ1977

. Shoots a solid 91mph at reebok pro camp saginaw 1st rounder.
shoots 85 Oshawa.

Scott Oswin ‏@OZZ1977

100 Mph. WoW.

I saw that too, I thought he was just kidding, but after taking a better look it seems legit. I had no idea his shot was that hard! This kid just went flying up my prospect rankings, he could become a great two way type defender who has great offensive instincts and shot and also is solid defensively like Tanev is.

I think all our players should now use these CCM RBZ Taylormade sticks

Guest Dasein

In before the pessimist's "A hard shot does not make an NHL career"

If it was a no-name prospect, I would have been that guy. But since it is Corrado, who already seems to have a good overall package, I am ecstatic to hear that he has a booming shot to add to his repertoire.

Very optimistic about this kid :towel:

Archived