The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Frank Corrado | D

b3.

Guest Dasein

Just saw the Prospect Cam videos by Frank Corrado on http://video.canucks.nhl.com/videocenter/

I must say, he seems like a great character and a leader. Vocal, friendly, and engages everybody in his videos. He goes up to take a swing first and lets the boys have a laugh.

What impressed me the most was that Corrado was including the Europeans in some of his videos. Showed that he was willing to reach out to others and include them in the fun. Very contrasting to the Prospect Cam video I done by Kellan Tochkin where it was pretty obvious that he had his 'boys' and neglected the new guys as well as the Europeans.

Excited to see Corrado in his upcoming years. I believe he was compared to another Ontario-native defenseman on our team Kevin Bieksa. That's some high praise for the young man. Hope that this kid can make the Canucks some day.

Guest Dasein

The more I look into this kid, the more I'm impressed with him.

He plays on a terrible team called the Sudbury Wolves in the OHL where their best player is Marcus Foligno. The team's top scorer is a '91-born undrafted defenseman that was -31 on the season.

Corrado apparently became their top-pairing defenseman and plays tons of minutes as well as 1st unit PP and presumably 1st unit PK (since he's their top defenseman). This kid is looking very good right now.

I compare him to Toronto's 1st rounder Stuart Percy.

Percy: 4G29A33P in 63GP 50PIM

Corrado: 4G26A30P 67GP 97PIM

You'll notice that Percy had 3 more points in 4 less games than Corrado. However, you need to realize that Percy plays for a very good team in the Mississauga St. Michael's Majors - the runner-up in this year's OHL Championship.

I think Corrado can be a decent NHLer if he puts in the work to follow the Canucks development program and trains hard to become a better player. He'll get tons of ice time this upcoming season and could impress.

I'm definitely keeping an eye on this guy's stats next season.

I don't think I've ever been this keen on a draft year. Looks like a very deep year compared to last year. Not knocking on the 2010 draftees, but I wasn't very excited about them - not even Patrick McNally. But this year, we got some gems late in the rounds as well.

Looking forward to these 4 in particular - Jensen, Honzik, Labate and Corrado. Kind of curious what Tommernes is capable of as well if he makes the jump this season. I really liked 2008 and 2011 overall. 2009 had Rodin and Schroeder, but the later rounders weren't as promising as the 2008 and 2011 draftees.

The more I look into this kid, the more I'm impressed with him.

He plays on a terrible team called the Sudbury Wolves in the OHL where their best player is Marcus Foligno. The team's top scorer is a '91-born undrafted defenseman that was -31 on the season.

Corrado apparently became their top-pairing defenseman and plays tons of minutes as well as 1st unit PP and presumably 1st unit PK (since he's their top defenseman). This kid is looking very good right now.

I compare him to Toronto's 1st rounder Stuart Percy.

Percy: 4G29A33P in 63GP 50PIM

Corrado: 4G26A30P 67GP 97PIM

You'll notice that Percy had 3 more points in 4 less games than Corrado. However, you need to realize that Percy plays for a very good team in the Mississauga St. Michael's Majors - the runner-up in this year's OHL Championship.

I think Corrado can be a decent NHLer if he puts in the work to follow the Canucks development program and trains hard to become a better player. He'll get tons of ice time this upcoming season and could impress.

I'm definitely keeping an eye on this guy's stats next season.

I don't think I've ever been this keen on a draft year. Looks like a very deep year compared to last year. Not knocking on the 2010 draftees, but I wasn't very excited about them - not even Patrick McNally. But this year, we got some gems late in the rounds as well.

Looking forward to these 4 in particular - Jensen, Honzik, Labate and Corrado. Kind of curious what Tommernes is capable of as well if he makes the jump this season. I really liked 2008 and 2011 overall. 2009 had Rodin and Schroeder, but the later rounders weren't as promising as the 2008 and 2011 draftees.

Which late rounders are exciting from 2008? What counts as a late rounder?

2008: Froshaug doesn't appear to be coming this way anytime soon. Rai is an unknown. Morgan Clark was released.

2009: Connauton (is 3rd late?) shows promise to be an offensive contributor, Peter Andersson plays that quiet, solid 2-way Swedish game teams covet, Joe Cannata is a solid NCAA goaltender, and Steven Anthony just won a Memorial Cup and signed a contract.

Seems like a character for sure, it'll be very interesting following their stats. Always so much easier to follow if they're in the CHL though! biggrin.gif

Seems like quite a bit of depth in the draftees this year, but likewise I also wasn't that interested in last year's crop. I think 2009 was definitely a good haul though as quite a few of those guys seem to have at least decent potential to become NHL'ers. Maybe just the larger the haul, the more exciting it is?

Guest Dasein

Which late rounders are exciting from 2008? What counts as a late rounder?

2008: Froshaug doesn't appear to be coming this way anytime soon. Rai is an unknown. Morgan Clark was released.

2009: Connauton (is 3rd late?) shows promise to be an offensive contributor, Peter Andersson plays that quiet, solid 2-way Swedish game teams covet, Joe Cannata is a solid NCAA goaltender, and Steven Anthony just won a Memorial Cup and signed a contract.

Hmm. I thought Connauton was a 2008 draft pick because he's the same age as Sauve and Hodgson, but I guess he was passed on in his first draft year. Anything over 2nd round is a crap shoot in my opinion, so I did consider Connauton as a good gamble pick. Also, Steven Anthony looks good for a 7th rounder as well.

So I guess 2009 does look pretty good late in the rounds. I guess 2008 was only successful up until Yann Sauve, so 2nd round wacko.gif

Hmm. I thought Connauton was a 2008 draft pick because he's the same age as Sauve and Hodgson, but I guess he was passed on in his first draft year. Anything over 2nd round is a crap shoot in my opinion, so I did consider Connauton as a good gamble pick. Also, Steven Anthony looks good for a 7th rounder as well.

So I guess 2009 does look pretty good late in the rounds. I guess 2008 was only successful up until Yann Sauve, so 2nd round wacko.gif

it's kinds funny how Connauton is 5 days younger than both Sauve and Hodgson (who were born on the same day), but they were drafted a year apart.

as for 2008, we has 5 picks, a 1st a 2nd and a 5th, 6th, and 7th.Prab was our 5th rounder, and still might turn into something, he impressed last camp, but missed a full season, so we'll see).

Even if only Hodgson and Sauve work out (hopefully, and they already both reached the NHL this year too!) I'd still consider the 2008 draft a good year. Every draft you should aim to have at least 2 guys make it. Holding out hope for Rai too, as Clark is longer in the system and Froshaug doesn't seem to be amounting to much unless he comes over here.

It's interesting that Gillis is willing to draft guys who are a little bit older or have been passed over starting with the 3rd round and beyond, as we saw with Connauton and Grenier.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived