1056 replies to this topic

#751 Nucks-4-Life

Nucks-4-Life

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

These last few weeks have been great for Corrado's development.

-Goes into WJC training camp and realizes he can hang with the best in the country (feeling great)
-Gets cut by the coach (feeling sad)
-Gets acquired by the coach's team most likely under his advisement (feeling great again!)

#752 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,898 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

These last few weeks have been great for Corrado's development.

-Goes into WJC training camp and realizes he can hang with the best in the country (feeling great)
-Gets cut by the coach (feeling sad)
-Gets acquired by the coach's team most likely under his advisement (feeling great again!)

if anything, it tells me the coach probably wanted him, but hockey canada decided to go another direction.

#753 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,332 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

^ Definitely a possibility. He might just have preferred a different mix between the WJ squad and the one on the Rangers though, and he'd get more opportunity on a D that isn't an all star roster.

schroedersig2_by_elvis15-d5szksn.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#754 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

Corrado a +2 tonight after 40 minutes.

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#755 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

Now has an assist, still +2, lots of time left in the third.

Blue Team

#756 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

Thanks for all the updates Hansen 36. Givin' me the night off! ::D

#757 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

Another assist for Frankie, +2 still.

Thanks for all the updates Hansen 36. Givin' me the night off! ::D

No problem haha, I do some updates whenever I'm watching our prospects or stat tracking, did some for Jensen and Corrado's OHL games last year.

Blue Team

#758 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

Nice to see him have a strong night before heading to Vancouver.
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#759 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:36 PM

Corrado finished the game with 2 assists, 2 PIMS and a +2 rating and Kitchener won 5-1 over the Sarnia Sting.

#760 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:44 AM

I think Connauton will be the first to taste NHL action but ultimately Corrado will beat him to the 25 game mark. Connauton will likely be the first call-up kind of guy for awhile but I think when Corrado gets the call he'll be in Vancouver to stay.

I could be way off, though.

I'd say Frankie is probably 3-4 years away yet at least. Kcon will probably play that many games just due to injuries even if he doesn't stick

#761 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:49 AM

if anything, it tells me the coach probably wanted him, but hockey canada decided to go another direction.

I doubt it, no matter how bad Murphy played he was back out next shift coughing up the puck again. I was completely blown away when he was out in overtime against Russia

#762 Gerbera

Gerbera

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:25 AM

I'd say Frankie is probably 3-4 years away yet at least. Kcon will probably play that many games just due to injuries even if he doesn't stick

I don't think he will be here before Connauton, but I think he should take around 2 years ... 3 years max to develop.

#763 Chronic.Canucks.Fan

Chronic.Canucks.Fan

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:59 AM

I disagree. I think after this year he'll make the jump to the AHL and after one or two seasons he'll be with the canucks in a role similar to tanev's currently.

He's proved he was well worth the pick MG used upon him, and it's nice to see he's a consistent performer as proved by his first game with his new team.

Posted by Chronic.Canucks.Fan on 01 March 2013 - 01:59 AM

The one name on that list that stood out to me was David Clarkson. He's following up last year's breakout campaign with another solid showing and if he's not intent on re-signing in NJ he'll be a highly sought after free agent. He's 28, he hits and fights as well as any, SCORES, and is just getting into the prime of his career. If it meant losing Higgins and Raymond, I would gladly throw 4+ million his way. Whether he'd want to play here, though, is an entirely different matter. 
.... Self imposed eating of crow. Thank god he's the Leafs' problem.

#764 DJ Kreuzberg

DJ Kreuzberg

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

3-4 years? That is absolutely an exaggeration.

Last season, he adapted seamlessly to AHL play in his 6 games, 2 of those playoff games. His ability to read the play at a higher level than others will be his meal ticket to the NHL a lot quicker than 4 years. After watching his stint in the AHL, i was convinced he would be able to play top 4 minutes with the Chicago Wolves this season, if only he were allowed. He is mentally ready, his body just needs to catch up and i've noticed significant changes in his strength from his first camp to now. He's not that far away.

#765 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

Corrado is already better than K-Conn, and if they were to both play in the NHL right now Corrado would make the easier transition.

K-Conn is severely overrated and has absolutely no hockey inteligence when it comes to playing defense. Offensively, he's a one trick pony as well.

Corrado is going to have NHL success because of his supberb skating ability and smart decision making. Definitely a future top 4 d man.

Posted Image

#766 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,332 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

Corrado is already better than K-Conn, and if they were to both play in the NHL right now Corrado would make the easier transition.

K-Conn is severely overrated and has absolutely no hockey inteligence when it comes to playing defense. Offensively, he's a one trick pony as well.

Corrado is going to have NHL success because of his supberb skating ability and smart decision making. Definitely a future top 4 d man.

Connauton is only overrated if you've set his expectations too high. We've known from the start he needs to work on his defence, and that has improved. He'll likely always need a stronger defence partner 5 on 5 though.

As far as his one trick, what do you think that is? His slapshot? He has an excellent wrister as well. Do you think it's his passing? He's also a pretty good skater and can rush the puck fairly well. Absolutely offence is his focus, but he has a few tricks in that regard.

Corrado, on the other hand, has developed from a tactical defensive game (with a bit of grit) into a two-way defender capable of joining the rush and scoring, as well as being a leader. I don't disagree he has the advantage overall, but Connauton may turn out to be very useful as a offensive D-man.

schroedersig2_by_elvis15-d5szksn.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#767 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,283 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

I think Corrado needs 1 AHL season, then he'll be ready for a full time NHL role.

Subbancopy.jpg

#768 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

Yeah no way Corrado needs 4 years, 1 year in the AHL and he should make the nucks on the 3rd pairing.

I honestly don't think Connauton will ever make this team and stick.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#769 Sergei Shirokov

Sergei Shirokov

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

Corrado is about the same size as Tanev is now, but a few years younger. Once he adds some meat, he ll be really good.

#770 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

Connauton is only overrated if you've set his expectations too high. We've known from the start he needs to work on his defence, and that has improved. He'll likely always need a stronger defence partner 5 on 5 though.

As far as his one trick, what do you think that is? His slapshot? He has an excellent wrister as well. Do you think it's his passing? He's also a pretty good skater and can rush the puck fairly well. Absolutely offence is his focus, but he has a few tricks in that regard.

Corrado, on the other hand, has developed from a tactical defensive game (with a bit of grit) into a two-way defender capable of joining the rush and scoring, as well as being a leader. I don't disagree he has the advantage overall, but Connauton may turn out to be very useful as a offensive D-man.

Good post and I agree with it. Why do some people here talk like they expect all our prospects with a bit of upside to become all around studs? The Canucks already have their top 4 set for years now with Edler, Garrison, Hamhuis and Bieksa so why should we care if Connauton will never be great defensively and only effective in the offensive end? Even if he becomes a bottom pairing defenseman that is relatively weak in his own end but great at rushing the puck and manning the point on the PP, that's fine by me. In fact, the Canucks could use someone like that on the 2nd PP unit with Edler working full time on the 1st unit.

Anyway, sorry to derail the thread. Back to the Corrado discussion!

Edited by NuxFan09, 12 January 2013 - 07:47 PM.

#771 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

So is frank Corrado going to be a shutdown defenseman some toughness and chip in offensively? and provide leadership....the next Kevin Bieska 2.0?

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#772 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

So is frank Corrado going to be a shutdown defenseman some toughness and chip in offensively? and provide leadership....the next Kevin Bieska 2.0?

He'll be a lot better then Bieksa in his prime imo. Just not as feisty.

Posted Image

#773 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

Despite what many Canucks fans feel about Kevin Bieksa, being better than him in his prime is a tall order. Bieksa is a top 4 two way defenseman who has several 40+ point seasons under his belt. Not necessarily arguing the point, just want to make sure that we don't take "better than Bieksa in his prime" too lightly.

#774 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,671 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:09 PM

Despite what many Canucks fans feel about Kevin Bieksa, being better than him in his prime is a tall order. Bieksa is a top 4 two way defenseman who has several 40+ point seasons under his belt. Not necessarily arguing the point, just want to make sure that we don't take "better than Bieksa in his prime" too lightly.

Very true. For what it's worth (nothing), Corrado was drafted 150th. Bieksa was drafted 151st. So clearly Corrado must be a bit better :P

#775 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:25 PM

Very true. For what it's worth (nothing), Corrado was drafted 150th. Bieksa was drafted 151st. So clearly Corrado must be a bit better :P

Case closed then lol.

#776 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,586 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:44 AM

Think of Tanev, with more offensive upside and a bit more feisty. IMO, Corrado has an outside chance of making the team or be a call up as depth down the road this season.

Kevin Bieksa was a guy with the physical tools to succeed as a bottom pair when he was a prospect. Both Tanev and Corrado are smarter players. Both are closer to Hamhuis in terms of style.

Edited by Rey, 13 January 2013 - 01:52 AM.

#777 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,586 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:01 AM

Bieksa had a lot of luck, and second chances because of his toughness. Having AV as his AHL coach helped. Playing with Mitchell and Hamhuis as his pairs helped him a lot. Absolutely no way he is the same player without them. Still insanely inconsistent, and needs to keep things simple. Still the weakest link out of the top 4 but no one else has his toughness. Putting 40 points isn't saying much, Brent Sopel also put 40 points up here.

Both Tanev and Corrado have the potential to be better than Bieksa. Corrado has more upside than Tanev.

On the other hand, someone who is much similar to Bieksa is Kevin Connauton. If Connauton becomes more willing, starts working harder, and get the breaks Bieksa got, then he could very well be a Bieksa V.2. It took 4+ Years in the NHL for Bieksa to get it defensively. Still makes stupid mistakes though.

Edited by Rey, 13 January 2013 - 02:04 AM.

#778 bluesy_shoes

bluesy_shoes

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

The thing that is unusual about Corrado and Tanev is that they are great positionally-minded D-men who are great all-around skaters. Those are the two things that are common among the consistently great defensemen in the league. If they are able to develop physicality, puck handling, or shooting, they could be high-level NHL d-men. I really hope we hold on to them both, I'd like to see them play together at some point, despite them both being RHS.

Posted Image

bluesy_shoes

#779 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

I'd say his style of game is closer to Dan Hamhuis than Kevin Bieksa. Not saying he is going to be as good as Hammer, but both play a very safe game whereas Bieksa is a bit more "risky".

Edited by Jägermeister, 13 January 2013 - 01:21 PM.

Posted Image

#780 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

I like how he can already shoot the puck at 100mph

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.