The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Frank Corrado | D

b3.

Yep, Canada continues its tradition of going with more of the "household" names rather than the players that actually earn it in camp.

Disappointing to say the least, but he should still be proud of himself. He looked better than almost half the D-men in camp.

I know is there really any Legitimacy in the selection camp? Why even have it? They always seem to know who they are going to pick.

Can't belive they kept Dumba after his terrible play, lol. Such a joke.

What a joke that he was cut! Wasn't he their leading scorer on the back end? Only guy to NOT be on the ice for a goal against? Lots of surprise on twitter as well. Sounds rigged to me. Virtually everyone had him as a lock on the third pairing.

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie

@sunayas: The first cut at Team Canada's camp is: Frank Corrado #WJC2013Wow, I am shocked.

Mark Edwards@MarkEdwardsHP

I'm surprised @sunayas: The first cut at Team Canada's camp is: Frank Corrado #WJC2013

Could both Murphy & Sproul make the team. I thought no chance but after Corrado cut, who knows??

Ben Kuzma@benkuzma

Wow. Projected to make third pairing, Canucks prospect Frank Corrado cut from final Team Canada roster for WJC. #oddsquad

Ray Ferraro@rayferrarotsn

Was very surprised Frank Corrado was cut, thought he was as steady as any blue liner

Mark Masters@markhmasters

Corrado, a Canucks prospect, was only player with multiple goals at the camp; only 2 more d-men will be let go

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie

The hard calls today for Team Canada: Taking Wotherspoon over Corrado on D and Binnington over Brossoit in G. Otherwise, no major shocks.

"Biggest surprise of the last few years, cutting Frank Corrado". Right now on Sportscentre

Dumba looked like he still belonged in Midget. Pouliott deserved to be playing in today's game over Dumba.

His play reminded me of how terrible Edler and Bieksa looked against the Kings. Lol

No wonder we haven't won a gold medal since 09, we keep making terrible descisions like this and we keep paying for it. (RNH and Seguin are a few other's who come to mind)

I'm a proud Canadian and I love my country but a small part of me hopes we pay for these atrocious decisions.

Dumba looked like he still belonged in Midget. Pouliott deserved to be playing in today's game over Dumba.

But Pierre McGuire called him a monster once, so that means he's a lock to make the team.

He may be exciting because he throws big hits, but the Russian players are going to feast on this guy with their speed.

I guess this is a message for future long shot hopefuls trying to make team Canada.

Don't expect to make the team no matter how you play because we're only accepting 1st and 2nd round picks.

Bang-on, get's cut cause he is a 5th round pick, and that's the only reason.

Great tweet from Corrado:

Frank Corrado@frankcorrado22

Thanks everyone for the kind words I appreciate it, you're all very supportive, great fans, great friends

Can't wait to see him in Blue, White and Green. Such a good guy.

Sproul also cut. I had thought that he and Reinhart were the only serious challenges to Corrado's spot. I guess my assessment of talent is way off.

So it looks like it's going to be:

Hamilton, Harrington, Ouelett, Murphy, Reinhart, Rielly, and Dumba.

I guess once you're a highly ranked prospect, you always are in hockey canada's eyes, despite your actual play.

looks like Dumba is goign to make it. What a joke. The guy was as terrible at camp as he was at the Summit Series. This is going to be harder for me to want to watch the WJC this year especially with the timezone in which the games is going to play at. NO HOCKEY for me this season.

look at it this way guys it must be a huge confident boost to him that he out played players picked in the first round hell the top 20.. he has everything to be proud of trust me he will be a great canuck soon enough... the fact that he got invited let alone made it to the second cut shows how much he improved and is determined to improve... good luck Corrado! will cheer for you soon in van!

So it looks like it's going to be:

Hamilton, Harrington, Ouelett, Murphy, Reinhart, Rielly, and Dumba.

I guess once you're a highly ranked prospect, you always are in hockey canada's eyes, despite your actual play.

No way they were gunna cut Murphy, I'm fine with him being the #7 guy for offensive situations but anything more (Barring injuries) is just Steve Spott having a soft spot for him.

The top 4 isn't debatable, Reinhart is a fine choice.

But Dumba is absolutely ridiculous.

I guess this is a message for future long shot hopefuls trying to make team Canada.

Don't expect to make the team no matter how you play because we're only accepting 1st and 2nd round picks.

Tell that to Montreal's 2012 5th round draft pick Charles Hudon. He didn't seem to have a problem making the team despite being a later round pick

Oh well. It was a story while it lasted.

Not going to join in on the 'i hope Canada loses now', the anti-Canuck conspiracy, or the 'he wasn't picked because he's a 5th rounder' talk this time. He knew he had to try very hard to make it. He tried very hard to make it. He didn't make it. He'll get over it. And so will we.

Clearly they went with Dumba because of his reputation vs how

look at it this way guys it must be a huge confident boost to him that he out played players picked in the first round hell the top 20.. he has everything to be proud of trust me he will be a great canuck soon enough... the fact that he got invited let alone made it to the second cut shows how much he improved and is determined to improve... good luck Corrado! will cheer for you soon in van!

Yup, and after the initial sting, he will refocus and recognize what an honour it was to even be invited to camp, how tough it was to even make it to the last round of cuts, and inside knows he can outplay players who are ranked top ten in Canada.

That will serve him well in terms of confidence, desire and drive. I have a feeling this kid is going to become a canuck and play for us for a long time.

Any kid who goes from 5th round pick to final cut of the WJC team in two seasons has the makings of a captain.

Archived