The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Frank Corrado | D

b3.

Really questionable cut. He scored multiple times, never had a goal against, and their biggest critique was he wasn't physical? Even the analysts don't understand this one.

If the NHL starts up soon, you better bet that Corrado would get the emergency recall and likely be in the top 4. Such a joke that he got cut.

He's there to fill team Canada's French-Canadian quota on the team. You do know they play those sort of politics right?

Yeah, because they didn't have any other high profile prospects that were born in Quebec. Oh unless you include, Huberdeau, Oulett and Drouin

Yeah, because they didn't have any other high profile prospects that were born in Quebec. Oh unless you include, Huberdeau, Oulett and Drouin

And Danault makes it 4 players out of 23. They need at least a quarter of the team to be French to make Quebec happy.

Team Canada's rules, not mine.

I think that Corrado can at least be proud that he showed that of the ~12 dmen brought into camp, he was in the top 5. He can be certain of that, he apparently just didn't fit into Canada's 'system'. It wasn't a question of 7 guys showing they were better hockey players than he was.

Agree...stupid move by the team

I don't buy it.

Wotherspoon is 1 inch and 6 pounds bigger than Corrado. Then Corrado's play was much better (not that Wotherspoon was terrible but still)

And even getting away from the Canucks/Corrado angle. How did Brossiot get cut in favour of Binnington? Brossiot stopped 33/33 and Binnington wasn't impressive at all.

I'd call it 'perception' vs politics.

Team Canada beleives Wootherspoon brings a more physical game than Corrado. Is that right or wrong, I don't know bc I have never seen Wotherspoon play but that's what I am reading/seeing from the press.

If he's perceived to be better at handling physical play and every team needs a physical defensman or two, you take Wootherspoon. Now if you ask me would I rather have Dan Hamhuis on my team or a Brian Allen type player, especially in a short tournament where reality has shown skill is more necessary than brawn, well I'd take a Hamhuis, but then I'm not in charge lol.

Canada is and always has been stuck in a view that we need to pound other teams into submission. Well I think that worked in the 70's, 80's and maybe 90's where other countries were intimidated by us. They aren't anymore, and they have just as much skill and size and arguabley some (russians, swedes) have more skill.

How do you combat skill, with skill. Is Tanev a big hitter? Nope but I think from watching him, he is one of the most effective and underated defenseman in the NHL. Why? because he's always in position, makes a great pass out of the zone, never panics under pressure. But what do people do, say he's not big enough, even though his play speaks for itself, and he's showing a lack of brawn isn't hurting his game nor the team.

I don't agree, but those are the blinders hockey canada has on. As a metaphor, what was the knock on Doug Flutie in the NFL? He was too small. Yet all he did was win. Yet nobody wanted him or allowed him to ever really be the starter, they were always looking for the big QB, even though the guy won. Yet he was too small...its interesting how peoples perception of what's 'important' drives their reality.

So not politics again, perception.

What a dumb, dumb decision. Seems rigged to me. Why even have a camp in the first place then? :rolleyes::picard:

Hockey Canada with its political BS is showing why they don't deserve to win it if they aren't willing to ice the best players. Making it real hard to cheer for them now. In fact I almost want Canada to lose for this. :sick:

What a dumb, dumb decision. Seems rigged to me. Why even have a camp in the first place then? :rolleyes::picard:

Hockey Canada with its political BS is showing why they don't deserve to win it if they aren't willing to ice the best players. Making it real hard to cheer for them now. In fact I almost want Canada to lose for this. :sick:

You wan't canada to lose bc a canuck was cut? I don't get people on here

Glad that Frank is turning heads in the hockey world. He was obviously beat out b/c there are already too many dmen on the team that play his style. They must have been looking for another element to add to the mix. Just really happy he's our prospect, and we got him in the 5th round to boot! He's from my home town and everyone here is very proud of him!

You wan't canada to lose bc a canuck was cut? I don't get people on here

Yeah thats just silly. Would have been awesome if he did make it though. I think some Canuck fans are sour b/c we are so proud of our team and it would have been nice if we could also cheer for one of our own boys as well as our Country.

Glad that Frank is turning heads in the hockey world. He was obviously beat out b/c there are already too many dmen on the team that play his style. They must have been looking for another element to add to the mix. Just really happy he's our prospect, and we got him in the 5th round to boot! He's from my home town and everyone here is very proud of him!

No sadly there was a political element to the decision. Those who were watching on Fasthockey were privy to a discussion between a ton of scouts who all said Frank's quality of play made him a lock. He was just in another league compared to the other d men. This kid belongs next to Hamilton/Murray/Harrington/Reilly.

Agree...stupid move by the team

I'd call it 'perception' vs politics.

Team Canada beleives Wootherspoon brings a more physical game than Corrado. Is that right or wrong, I don't know bc I have never seen Wotherspoon play but that's what I am reading/seeing from the press.

If he's perceived to be better at handling physical play and every team needs a physical defensman or two, you take Wootherspoon. Now if you ask me would I rather have Dan Hamhuis on my team or a Brian Allen type player, especially in a short tournament where reality has shown skill is more necessary than brawn, well I'd take a Hamhuis, but then I'm not in charge lol.

Canada is and always has been stuck in a view that we need to pound other teams into submission. Well I think that worked in the 70's, 80's and maybe 90's where other countries were intimidated by us. They aren't anymore, and they have just as much skill and size and arguabley some (russians, swedes) have more skill.

How do you combat skill, with skill. Is Tanev a big hitter? Nope but I think from watching him, he is one of the most effective and underated defenseman in the NHL. Why? because he's always in position, makes a great pass out of the zone, never panics under pressure. But what do people do, say he's not big enough, even though his play speaks for itself, and he's showing a lack of brawn isn't hurting his game nor the team.

I don't agree, but those are the blinders hockey canada has on. As a metaphor, what was the knock on Doug Flutie in the NFL? He was too small. Yet all he did was win. Yet nobody wanted him or allowed him to ever really be the starter, they were always looking for the big QB, even though the guy won. Yet he was too small...its interesting how peoples perception of what's 'important' drives their reality.

So not politics again, perception.

Good points, not gunna argue that, I've calm down from my initial reaction, but still disappointed.

And honestly I don't think they are going for a full physical team like in previous years, because why would they take Lipon over McNeil, and why would Drouin be on the team if they were going for size.

So I don't think the size/physical play thing explains there stupid decision making on Wotherspoon/Corrado.

Archived