The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pathrik Westerholm Talk

b3.

The discrepancy between the two brothers scoring isn't as much as it seems - the undrafted one played 10 games less (but only scored 1 less goal than his brother did).

Pathrik's goals per game was .23 gpg, points was .67 ppg

Ponthus' goals per game was .29 gpg, points was .54 ppg.

The standout stat in my mind is their plus minus. Pathrik was on for 25 for and 7 against, a +18. ponthus in 10 less games was on for 17 for, and 5 against, for a +12. They were far and away the best positive on their team. That says something about their puck control, and is actually Sedin like in that regard. The Sedns were more offensive, but they weren't the highest scorers, they were however one of the most dominant lines in ratio of goals for and against. They get the puck and you don't get it back unless it's from the back of your net. The fact that these Westerholm twins cycle and control the puck is an interesting parallel.

Guest Dasein

That's great and all about their cycle game, but the Westerholm twins better have some wheels.

The Sedins were gifted enough size and talent-wise to overcome their speed deficiency. These twins don't have as much skills as the Sedins do nor are they as big as they are (only 5'11" and 6'0" - Daniel is 6'1" and Henrik 6'2").

Therefore, to be even somewhat comparable to the Sedins, these guys BETTER have the only thing that the Sedins don't - Blazing Speed. That or a 3rd twin, but they'll definitely need to be great skaters to make significant impact in the NHL.

It's a pretty high standard the Sedins have set for Swedish twins in Vancouver. I don't expect these kids to be remotely close to what the Sedins are capable of. The Westerholms are comparable a nice summer girlfriend - it was good while it lasted, but you're not gonna call her back when you come back from school for christmas. It was interesting to see another set of Swedish twins being in the system, but these guys likely won't make it in the NHL as a duo like the Sedins did.

Pathrik has a better chance by himself than with the twin brother, and vice versa.

Derek Jory posted a story about the twins tonight on the main site's "Canucks Features" section: http://canucks.nhl.c...s.htm?id=568775

It's titled "The Other Swedish Twins." Mostly a collection of some mildly humourous tidbits from Summer Development Camp, rehashing of the stats we already know about, and some "which Sedin are you" questions for Pathrik and Ponthus. However, there were a couple encouraging quotes from Dave Gagner:

"They have that same kind of magic that Daniel and Henrik have together where they know where each other are all the time and they read everything well, they have great instincts for offence," said Gagner, who noted that both players had big roles on their team last year and that bodes well for their development.

"They're both good players and they just need to continue to grow and grow stronger, but they have that offensive mindset."

"They know what they can do, so we'll see what happens over the next few days and over the next year or two," said Gagner.

"We're excited about them."

And a couple pictures that drive home the fact that these are fraternal, not identical, twins:

July611_twins2_rr.jpg

July611_twins1_rr.jpg

I'm not sure who's on the right or left. I'm thinking Pathrik (L) and Ponthus ®.

Thank God they included both pics because in the second one, the twin on the right kinda looks like the brother who rides the short bus. The first pic shows just how bad that second shot is.

That's great and all about their cycle game, but the Westerholm twins better have some wheels.

The Sedins were gifted enough size and talent-wise to overcome their speed deficiency. These twins don't have as much skills as the Sedins do nor are they as big as they are (only 5'11" and 6'0" - Daniel is 6'1" and Henrik 6'2").

Therefore, to be even somewhat comparable to the Sedins, these guys BETTER have the only thing that the Sedins don't - Blazing Speed. That or a 3rd twin, but they'll definitely need to be great skaters to make significant impact in the NHL.

It's a pretty high standard the Sedins have set for Swedish twins in Vancouver. I don't expect these kids to be remotely close to what the Sedins are capable of. The Westerholms are comparable a nice summer girlfriend - it was good while it lasted, but you're not gonna call her back when you come back from school for christmas. It was interesting to see another set of Swedish twins being in the system, but these guys likely won't make it in the NHL as a duo like the Sedins did.

Pathrik has a better chance by himself than with the twin brother, and vice versa.

I wasn't in any way inferring they would have anywhere near the ability or impact the Sedins had. I was simply explaining a bit about their game and that it was kind of funny they control the puck in that manner.

I'd be very happy if they amounted to a 3rd line version of the Sedins, a semi-psychic pair capable of keeping the puck for awhile but not producing much offense. That would probably be their upper potential, unless they are late bloomers.

Derek Jory posted a story about the twins tonight on the main site's "Canucks Features" section: http://canucks.nhl.c...s.htm?id=568775

It's titled "The Other Swedish Twins." Mostly a collection of some mildly humourous tidbits from Summer Development Camp, rehashing of the stats we already know about, and some "which Sedin are you" questions for Pathrik and Ponthus. However, there were a couple encouraging quotes from Dave Gagner:

And a couple pictures that drive home the fact that these are fraternal, not identical, twins:

July611_twins2_rr.jpg

July611_twins1_rr.jpg

I'm not sure who's on the right or left. I'm thinking Pathrik (L) and Ponthus ®.

Thank God they included both pics because in the second one, the twin on the right kinda looks like the brother who rides the short bus. The first pic shows just how bad that second shot is.

Pathrik is, indeed, the one on the left.

Archived