The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Henrik Tommernes | D

b3.

Maybe as a call up. I would think they'd like him to play in the AHL to get used to the NA game.

Makes sense as he gets a lot more minutes also. But we have yet to sign any depth D. My guess is Bieksa, Weber and Tanev will be our right side, Edler, Hamhuis and Garrison our left. Corrado is waiver exempt so they'll give him top minutes in Utica with Tommerness on similar logic.

I suppose I was sort of posting almost off topic, commenting that we really have not signed any depth D.And hoping someone, perhaps who watched him in Europe, would say he was dynamic and steal a spot?

Makes sense as he gets a lot more minutes also. But we have yet to sign any depth D. My guess is Bieksa, Weber and Tanev will be our right side, Edler, Hamhuis and Garrison our left. Corrado is waiver exempt so they'll give him top minutes in Utica with Tommerness on similar logic.

I suppose I was sort of posting almost off topic, commenting that we really have not signed any depth D.And hoping someone, perhaps who watched him in Europe, would say he was dynamic and steal a spot?

Tommernes is going to be top pairing D for Utica with Corrado, for sure. I do think there's an effort being made to sign Alberts, it's just that everything is clogged up by Weise and perhaps Tanev.

• 4 weeks later...

What's with the hype with this guy, is he really that good?

He is an OFD, 7th rounder. Is one of our best defensemens in Utica next season. Tommernes, Andersson, and maybe Corrado if he stays in Utica. Those will be our top 3. If we don't sign another depth defensemen he is probably a 8th/9th defensemen after Weber.

What's with the hype with this guy, is he really that good?

he has a lot of professional experience at the same age as a lot of our more 'green' prospects.  played huge minutes in sweden, in all situations.  was clearly a step ahead in developement at the prospects camp scrimmage.  looked good on offense and defense.  a lot of other people around here, myself included, CANNOT wait to see him in Utica this year.

he has a lot of professional experience at the same age as a lot of our more 'green' prospects. played huge minutes in sweden, in all situations. was clearly a step ahead in developement at the prospects camp scrimmage. looked good on offense and defense. a lot of other people around here, myself included, CANNOT wait to see him in Utica this year.

Yeah, but that one concern for me is the NA ice.. It is smaller for OFDs like Tommernes.

Yeah, but that one concern for me is the NA ice.. It is smaller for OFDs like Tommernes.

definitely. at the scrimmage he made quick decisions in both zones and got the puck off his stick when he needed to. I'm not delusional though, that will be the hardest part for him in the AHL. opposing players in real games are going to be going at him much harder and faster than prospects in a scrimmage. that will be the adjustment in his game to keep an eye on; whether or not he can process the play faster than he's used to, and how quickly he can make that adjustment. Also, if his defensive game really is up to snuff to be reliable enough on the 1st pairing. corrado will help with that a lot i think if that is going to be the top pair which seems to be the case most likely.

• 4 weeks later...

Size is definitely a concern but in what he has shown so far, I think he could be a solid nhler but he needs some seasoning down in the AHL first for sure to adjust to the forechecking pressure and the smaller ice

Size is definitely a concern but in what he has shown so far, I think he could be a solid nhler but he needs some seasoning down in the AHL first for sure to adjust to the forechecking pressure and the smaller ice

Him and Corrado were the best defensemens on our team I think other than Hamhuis. Like what you said when the forecheck came hard he tried to pass to his teammate and that turns into turnovers. His mobility is great though excellent skater, nice pass, his defense is also good.

In drawing comparisons he looks like Oliver Ekman Larsson. I would really like to see a Tommernes-Corrado pairing in the AHL but I think Corrado will be in the NHL.

Should be the first call up this season.

Still say that's Corrado. He's playing well enough to make the NHL but I don't see him passing any of the established top 6 barring injuries. And I think he's better served playing top pairing in Utica than swapping in and out with Alberts/Weber.

Here's Tommernes' write up from the Hockey Prospectus review of our prospect pool:

7. Henrik Tommernes, Defense

2011-12 Ranking: Unranked

Date of birth: 08/28/1990

Height: 6'0''

Weight: 185

Shoots: Left

Statistics: 54 GP, 5 G, 16 P (Frolunda, SHL)

Acquired: Seventh round, 210th overall in 2011 by Vancouver

Year in Review: Tommernes had a good last season in the SHL, where he played a ton of minutes for Frolunda.

The Good: Tommernes is a gifted offensive defenseman. "He's just so quick," said one NHL source who praised his above-average to plus skating skills. Tommernes' agility, mobility, and speed make him a nuisance to check. He is able to stay with faster forwards. He is also a skilled puck mover with good offensive hockey sense, and he excels on the man advantage. Tommernes can make difficult plays with the puck.

The Bad: Tommernes' most notable weaknesses have historically been in his own end. While he has improved in that area, especially with his reads, he could use a little more work. He is slightly undersized, and not the toughest guy on his checks, either.

Projection: He could be a fringe second pairing or good third pairing defenseman who slots in on a power play.

• 4 months later...

Archived