The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Henrik Tommernes | D

b3.

• 2 months later...

Hey, Can I ask if a few can chime in on Hank's potential to make the bigs?

Since we have a little less to talk about now (than we did in February), I figured I'd bump this and see if anyone wanted to weigh in.

I've been looking at the bargain UFA options for PMDs and the choices are few and far between. I'm wondering if we'd almost be better served by giving Tommernes a shot?

Unfortunately, from what I know of him, he's been mostly a LHD (and he shoots left). Not sure if he's played much on the right side?

I've been fairly vocal about my perception that this team's D desperately needs puckmovers who aren't merely able to skate out of trouble in their own zone but guys who are comfortable carrying the puck up the ice and against pressure.

And it's my opinion that Edler requires a mobile partner who can carry the puck (if we're ever going to get Edler back to his "old self").

I don't know if Tommernes is an option for Edler. Eddie can't play the right side and I'm not sure how well Tommernes performs on his off side.

But Garrison can play RHD and he also needs a mobile partner who can handle the puck. Garrison plays at his best when he's paired with a guy who has good offensive instincts and the skating and puck skills required to penetrate deep into the offensive zone and create passing options that setup Garrison with time and space (and open lanes) at the right point.

Jeff Angus's 2013 profile on Tommernes (from Canucks Army) offered some tantalizing numbers that suggest his past performance falls well in line with other offensively skilled Swedish Ds whose talents have translated to the NHL game: http://canucksarmy.com/2013/8/20/prospect-profile-9-henrik-tommernes

And while Tommernes didn't exactly tear up the AHL in 2013-14, his 18 points in 54 games was a respectable total for a guy in his first year transitioning to the North American game (especially while playing on a Utica team that struggled to produce offense for large stretches of the season).

So how close is Tommernes? Are his puck handling, skating, and offensive instincts really even any better than a cheap option like Yannick Weber?

Weber's points/game (albeit only over 7 games) was 3X what Tommernes produced. And he's only two years older (but obviously more experienced in NA). I believe Tommernes has more upside and potential than Weber but it seems to me that he needs to do more to show that his abilities will actually translate to the NHL game.

I'm also wondering how much work he's done toward becoming more steady without the puck? Have the coaches been trying to improve his defensive game? It seems like he was used as a top-four D in Utica and was played in all situations. How's his two-way game coming along?

I honestly haven't seen enough game film to offer an informed opinion on his NHL readiness. I'm hoping that some of the regular followers of the Utica Comets will be willing to provide some insight (and answer some of the questions I've posed here). Did Tommernes show anything this season to suggest he's getting close to being ready to take the next step?

It would certainly be nice to have another D in the system (besides Corrado) who might be getting close to cracking the Canucks roster.

I don't think you can just "give players a chnace" they need to prove it and that's what the AHL is all about proving yourself. Jensen came on late in the AHL season looked good so he gets his chance. Tommernes mus do the same...as has Archibald, Lain, Grenier etc. Right now Weber, has passed that marker...in fact it will be interesting to see if Weber moves this summer.....which will go a long way to deciding what Vcr does with Tommernes

Since we have a little less to talk about now (than we did in February), I figured I'd bump this and see if anyone wanted to weigh in.

While I've hardly watched him in depth, I'd say there's still enough lacking from his game at he AHL level that I wouldn't be ready to promote him other than call up duty. That combined with some injuries this year makes me believe another full year in the AHL is probably his best option, and I'd rather keep Weber at this point as a depth D than to rely on Tommernes.

More importantly to your post, I haven't seen enough from him to suggest he'd be a good option as a PMD at this point. I don't think he'd have more success as a primary or even secondary option carrying the puck out of his own end until he develops more, although I think he could add to a 2nd unit PP from the point. If I were to suggest pairing for him it'd be with Garrison over Edler.

That's not to say he hasn't played well at times in Utica, just that he could stand to work on a bit more and he may not have quite the skill set of a player we've been lacking on our back end. Perhaps some of the Utica fans could weigh in a little better.

we have the luxury of being able to bring him along nice and slowly. he was one of my favorite comets this year (mostly cause i've wanted to see him play in NA for some time now) i noticed him making some good defensive plays towards the end of the year which was cool to see. you can tell he has lots of skill; just needs time to figure out how best to use it as a NA pro.

i believe he plays his offside on the PP. i know for sure he did in Sweden.

• 3 months later...

Here's the Tommernes article:

PROSPECT PROFILE: #15 HENRIK TOMMERNES

Our own Patrick Johnston (who helped chip in with this profile) chatted with the Utica Observer-Dispatch's John Pitaresi about what he saw from him in his routine viewings last season:

There's no question that Tommernes' strengths reside firmly in the attacking end of the ice, and the manner in which head coach Travis Green utilized him last season bears that out. While he wasn't asked to log significant doses of even strength or on the penalty kill minutes, Tommernes' ice-time estimates with the man advantage were noticeably higher than any other defenseman on the team.

As a result, it shouldn't come as any surprise that despite suiting up for only 54 games last season, Tommernes' 18 points from the blueline were good for 3rd most amongst Comets defensemen (with only Patrick Mullen's 20 in 46 topping him from a per-game perspective). Looking at the admittedly primitive underlying numbers we have for the AHL, it doesn't appear that his production was in any way fluky or unsustainable; in fact, his personal 3.9% shooting percentage on a solid rate (nearly 2 shots on goal/game) indicates that he could probably be due for some better fortune moving forward, if anything.

With all of that being said, Tommernes clearly has some work ahead of him to avoid becoming a casualty of the numbers game. He's about to enter his age 24 season, which'll be the last year on his entry-level contract.

With a crowded blueline at the NHL level, and a suddenly burgeoning group of defensemen in the lower ranks - including 3 players that came in securely ahead of him on this list, another 3 intriguing names we've already profiled that preceded him, and others that figure to patrol the back-end for the Comets like Bobby Sanguinetti, Peter Andersson, and Alex Biega - he'll need to prove that he's more than just a one-trick pony with the Comets next season, at the very least just staying afloat in his own end.

Good producer at this point but not great, maybe could be more but is getting sheltered offensive minutes to help him, yet another prospect we'll have to see how he does this year for if he can threaten to be an NHL defenceman.

Based on pure talent he deserves 15th, but I agree more with CDC's ranking of 24th.

He is already 23 going on 24 years old. I've read he was probably the best defenseman on Utica last season but I think he brings too little too late in terms of competing for an NHL role. He might get a couple of short call-ups over his career but will likely head back to Sweden.

Reminds me a bit of Tomas Mojzis.

• 4 months later...

i'm guessing a SHL team came a knocking and he figured that would be a better opportunity than a 7th d-man position in the AHL.

Yeah, Sanguinetti surpassed him this year and Lafranchise was a nice addition as well. Not sure how long those guys stick around or if they're replaced by the likes of Hutton, McEneny, Subban, etc. but he wasn't as important to the Comets D as he was last year.

Archived