The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Any of you guys want to play in Scotland : Flyers the 2nd Season.

Bodee

News of the Fife Flyers player/coach.

In terms of new import signings, Dutiaume admits he has no shortage of applicants - but he wants the right players in his dressing-room.

‘‘Fife still carries a very good name among hockey players - it’s a good place to play and you are well treated. That will work in our favour,’’ he said.

‘‘We want guys who fit into our team and dressing-room, who understand the style we play and are maybe willing to change their game.

‘‘We’ve been inundated with CVs but there is still not substitute for speaking to guys you know whose views you trust.’’

Dutiaume also admits he’s delighted to see a buzz returning to the sport - and the town.

‘‘It’s been quiet for a while,’’ he admitted, ‘‘but there has been a huge buzz since we announced we were going Elite.

‘‘Lot of people have been stopping me and asking questions, and talking hockey - if that is am indication of the excitement then things are looking good.

‘‘We’ve had a busy spring already and done a fair bit of work, and now things are starting to motor.’’

Announcing Dutiaume’s appointment, a club spokesman paid tribute to his commitment in recent seasons.

He said: ‘‘After working over the last five years to keep the club going and winning almoist everything in sight Todd deserves the opportunity to lead the team again next season.’’

Ok lets put this in perspective a bit.

Hockey in the UK is not a popular sport, it comes a long way down the list of sports for people to have an interest in. However those of us who love hockey are very enthusiastic about it

Kirkcaldy ice rink, the home of the Flyers has a capacity of just over 3,000 but the town is a hockey town even though there is both a football, sorry soccer, team and rugby team in the town. You ask anybody in Kirkcaldy about the team and practically everybody will know of us.

The rink is old and as the Flyers are the oldest club in Britain the rink reflects this but that is part of the charm and one of the home advantages.

The ice has always been excellent, we are the only ice facility in Fife and as a result we have to share it with the curlers so it has to be good.

If you ask anybody who has played at Kirkcaldy what is the best thing about playing there is and they will undoubtedly say the fans. We are incredibly passionate about hockey and our team and the atmosphere at home games is second to none in the whole of the country and that gives the Flyers an amazing home advantage and us Fifers know our hockey, if a player is a donkey then he will hear it and because of the make up of the rink fans have a input into opposition players heads.

So what about the standard of player to come to Britain. Well mostly it is about ECHL standard although players who have played AHL although ex NHL players have played across here too, most recently Theo Fluery in Belfast and as has been said Al Sims, Ronnie Plumb, Doug Smail, Laurie Boschman, Vincent Lukac and Milan Figala have all played for Flyers.

The Elite League allows for 10 imports per squad and an import is classed as a non-trained British player with the rest of the squad made up by Brits and Flyers have had a long tradition of having one of the best junior systems in the UK and there are quite a few former Fife trained juniors in other teams.

Traditionally Flyers have covered travelling expenses as well as living costs although this may have changed as well as paying players to play.

Kirkcaldy is close to both Edinburgh and St.Andrews Universities, two of the most prestigious universities in Britain for those wanting to do some studying and we are also just over an hour away from Glasgow and an hour and a half from the highlands and the most spectacular scenery in the world.

I seem to have come across as trying to sell the Flyers but that hasnt been my intention, I am just trying to gice some more information about the club and town so people know what it was like

It has been announced on the Flyers Forum over here that Jarrett Konkle has signed for the Dundee CCS Stars who play in the Elite League with Fife Flyers. Does anyone know anything about this player?

C'Mon the Stars! Shame they are sponsored by a cleaning company!

Sadly I will miss this season of Elite League action due to heading to Canada for the year. Hopefully all goes well with the Flyers, with the loss of the Edinburgh and Newcastle, things are a little shaky to say the least!

Newcastle folded in May. I think the Flyers took their place. I think you must be mistaken about Edinburgh Capitals. Flyers play them in Fife in the Challenge Cup on 24th September.

http://www.edinburgh-capitals.com/

Capitals add physical presence with Sladok

22nd July 2011

Edinburgh Capitals are pleased to announce the signing of Jozef Sladok. The Slovakian defender spent last season with Hull Stingrays where he had 8 points, from 2 goals and 6 assists, and 193 penalty minutes.

Good luck in Canada. Hope you get to some good hockey games.

just to add to this, a lot of players use this league as a stepping stone to the European and German Leagues, there have been some exceptional players come through here before moving on.

Joe Tallari

Ryan MacDonald

Andrew Verner

Joe talbot

Rumun Ndur.

Ed Courtney

Tony Hand

Luke Stauffacher

Scott Frankhouser

Colin Shields

just to name a few, the elague is played in a more North american style of game and would be on par with the ECHl with a few AHL level players in

Hmm maybe i am mistaken....I was sure I heard something about them not having funds to keep playing at Elite league level. Unless it was just speculation...which is quite probable considering I heard it in Dundee....

Looks like anyone coming to the Elite League better have a keen sense of humour................They are the Irish team so that might explain it. Jeez if they play as well as they dance the Flyers are in big trouble ;-)

Fife Flyers welcome their second import. He is a native of VANCOUVER! and plays winger. From the lower leagues please give a big hand to MATT SIDALL. He will get a great welcome from the Fife fans as they adore a feisty type of player.

"Matt has spent the last 2 seasons playing under former Fife legend Mark Morrison with the Victoria Salmon Kings in the ECHL where he played 104 games whilst registering 70 points (30 goals + 40 assists) and 232 penalty minutes. He hails from North Vancouver, British columbia, Canada."

That would be a bad mistake, the Scots have kicked ass all over the World (most of it for the English:-)...............but we are talking hockey here and we at the Flyers get on really well with the Belfast Giants fans. They have already been in touch with each other on their Forums to discuss places to stay and best places for a wee dram when they visit.

Archived