The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Any of you guys want to play in Scotland : Flyers the 2nd Season.

Bodee

Another rumour now showing up on the Fife Flyers Forum.

Flyers about to announce the biggest signing ever in the Elite Ice Hockey League on Wednesday!

Well for that to be true he would have to be someone with credentials in the NHL, the AHL or Europe in my opinion. So I can't see any truth in the rumour, I don't think we have that kind of money. :-( I will keep you informed.

I know one thing, a lot of Flyers fans will be very disappointed now if he isn't at least a quality EIHL player.

Do any of you guys know who it is?

Another rumour now showing up on the Fife Flyers Forum.

Flyers about to announce the biggest signing ever in the Elite Ice Hockey League on Wednesday!

Well for that to be true he would have to be someone with credentials in the NHL, the AHL or Europe in my opinion. So I can't see any truth in the rumour, I don't think we have that kind of money. :-( I will keep you informed.

I know one thing, a lot of Flyers fans will be very disappointed now if he isn't at least a quality EIHL player.

Do any of you guys know who it is?

Hey Mac, that is some heavy responsibility to lay on these ageing shoulders ;-)

You don't say where you are hoping to settle but if it is the London area you are lucky enough to be coming at an exciting time if you are of Scottish descent and a rugby enthusiast.

London Scottish RU Club are writing an almost Walt Disney-esque story of triumph over adversity. The extract below is taken from the Wiki site but their exploits are one year out of date so I have added their latest promotion.

http://en.wikipedia....n_Scottish_F.C.

"The original amateur club rejoined the RFU leagues at the bottom of the pyramid after effectively being relegated 9 divisions by the RFU. The club has since progressed back up through 7 divisions in 10 seasons to Championship for the 2010-2011 season. The club shares the Athletic Ground with Richmond."

I am also very keen on rugby and was for a time a member of my local rugby club (Kirkcaldy Rugby Club) however as I grew older the prospect of standing on the touchline on a freezing December Saturday afternoon grew less appealing compared to my fireside seat watching the telly :-)

Rugby at the professional level is not at its best here in Scotland with both the pro clubs Edinburgh and Glasgow struggling in what is probably the best league in Britain. The Magners League has the best teams from Wales, Ireland Scotland and now Italy in it and although most englishmen would argue the point I think their relative performances over the years, when they meet in the top European Heiniken Cup competition bears this out.

I'm sorry if this is all stuff you know already and therefore boring.

On your proposed move I also had a chance (as a young Architect) to go the other way, to Calgary, to run an Architects office for my Scottish employers. For various reasons which seemed important at the time, I turned it down. Looking back now however it is one of my biggest regrets in life.

If your fiancé s worried she is going to miss the Canucks tell her ESPN has almost nightly games showing over here (she will have to be an insomniac though due to the time difference) including Hockey Night In Canada. It was through their excellent coverage that I rediscovered my love for ice hockey and started my love affair with the Canucks. I tend to record them and watch the following night.

By the way, a small point. I was coming home through a lovely part of Edinburgh on a sunny afternoon's visit to my sister and had just drawn up at a set of traffic lights. I looked up at a 4th floor window and the occupant (probably a student) had put a Canadian flag at the top of the window and Canucks banner below it. They are everywhere. :-)

Anyway good luck to you and your fiancé, in whatever decision you finally make.

Hey Mac, that is some heavy responsibility to lay on these ageing shoulders ;-)

You don't say where you are hoping to settle but if it is the London area you are lucky enough to be coming at an exciting time if you are of Scottish descent and a rugby enthusiast.

London Scottish RU Club are writing an almost Walt Disney-esque story of triumph over adversity. The extract below is taken from the Wiki site but their exploits are one year out of date so I have added their latest promotion.

http://en.wikipedia....n_Scottish_F.C.

"The original amateur club rejoined the RFU leagues at the bottom of the pyramid after effectively being relegated 9 divisions by the RFU. The club has since progressed back up through 7 divisions in 10 seasons to Championship for the 2010-2011 season. The club shares the Athletic Ground with Richmond."

I am also very keen on rugby and was for a time a member of my local rugby club (Kirkcaldy Rugby Club) however as I grew older the prospect of standing on the touchline on a freezing December Saturday afternoon grew less appealing compared to my fireside seat watching the telly :-)

Rugby at the professional level is not at its best here in Scotland with both the pro clubs Edinburgh and Glasgow struggling in what is probably the best league in Britain. The Magners League has the best teams from Wales, Ireland Scotland and now Italy in it and although most englishmen would argue the point I think their relative performances over the years, when they meet in the top European Heiniken Cup competition bears this out.

I'm sorry if this is all stuff you know already and therefore boring.

On your proposed move I also had a chance (as a young Architect) to go the other way, to Calgary, to run an Architects office for my Scottish employers. For various reasons which seemed important at the time, I turned it down. Looking back now however it is one of my biggest regrets in life.

If your fiancé s worried she is going to miss the Canucks tell her ESPN has almost nightly games showing over here (she will have to be an insomniac though due to the time difference) including Hockey Night In Canada. It was through their excellent coverage that I rediscovered my love for ice hockey and started my love affair with the Canucks. I tend to record them and watch the following night.

By the way, a small point. I was coming home through a lovely part of Edinburgh on a sunny afternoon's visit to my sister and had just drawn up at a set of traffic lights. I looked up at a 4th floor window and the occupant (probably a student) had put a Canadian flag at the top of the window and Canucks banner below it. They are everywhere. :-)

Anyway good luck to you and your fiancé, in whatever decision you finally make.

Well there's not much wrong with Scots Irish. I too have Irish somewhere back there in my ancestors. Dand is the name I think.

If you are thinking Northern England there is plenty of choice but it depends if you are a city or country type.

My cousin lives in Newcastle and I have been down there a few times. It is a great place to stay and the people are very friendly. It has great places to eat, very varied cultural attractions and it has an outstanding tradition in live music and the arts. (by the way I saw my first Springsteen concert there:-)

They do have a pretty good football team AND a decent (although struggling at present) rugby team. It seems to me a lot like Vancouver in it's youthful spirit and the love the "Geordies" have for all things Newcastle.

http://www.newcastlegateshead.com/

One of it's advantages is it is on the River Tyne which is very nice in the summer and not that far from the sea. If your fiancé is into shopping it has great city centre shops but also the Metro Centre which is the biggest indoor shopping centre in Britain but I think it has dropped down to about 3rd or 4th in Europe.

http://www.metrocent...Us/General-Info

The only advice I would give you is to do plenty of research. If you were thinking further North still Edinburgh in Scotland is a gorgeous city to live in but it can be a bit expensive. Glasgow is an acquired taste ;-)

Anyway I'll stop my tourist / estate agent (realtor in Canada?) advice here and get back to the hockey:-)

• 1 month later...

Well time flies and my home team Fife Flyers, the oldest hockey team in Britain plays it's first pro game in the relatively new UK Elite Ice Hockey League this coming Saturday (10th August)

As I have pointed out earlier, we were accepted into the league at very short notice and this along with our lack of organisation has meant that the last few weeks have been chaotic. It was always thus with Fife Flyers. Their fans, arguably the most passionate and knowledgeable in British ice Hockey have had their patience, once again tested to the limit.

We played our first warm up game against near neighbours Dundee Stars and were hammered 6-1 in a game that was anything but a friendly. The following night showed a big improvement up in Dundee where an outstanding display by our young net minder (a local boy) saw us get a 4-4 draw. All this while we still await the arrival of at least 2/3 imports from Canada due to visa delays. Worse still these players may not be here in time for Saturday.

After joining their forum one of my first complaints was the damned awful jersey the Flyers had been using. Pin stripes and unlike the NHL they were covered with sponsors adverts (I hadn't been to a Flyers game in 25-30 years ) It was more like a soccer shirt than a hockey jersey. Anyway the organisation has made a welcome response and once again the famous and ancient wings take pride of place. Although economics dictate we still had to have our main sponsor on the shirt (along with a children's charity we have long been associated with)

http://www.fifeflyers.co.uk/index.php/news/fife-flyers-team-news/september-news/134-new-eihl-jersey

I can't emphasise enough the gulf between us and most of the other teams in financial backing, playing staff and ice arenas, not to mention an even bigger gulf between us and NHL hockey. However we have great heart and an inner indomitable fighting spirit which will be sorely tested on Saturday. (even if our imports arrive in time)

A near capacity turnout is expected and I am picking up my ticket to-morrow to avoid the queues.

Watch this space.

PS Matt Sidall has only been here a couple of weeks and he is already a cult figure with many of the fans. He may have to be Clark Kent on Saturday night. :-)

Well time flies and my home team Fife Flyers, the oldest hockey team in Britain plays it's first pro game in the relatively new UK Elite Ice Hockey League this coming Saturday (10th August)

As I have pointed out earlier, we were accepted into the league at very short notice and this along with our lack of organisation has meant that the last few weeks have been chaotic. It was always thus with Fife Flyers. Their fans, arguably the most passionate and knowledgeable in British ice Hockey have had their patience, once again tested to the limit.

We played our first warm up game against near neighbours Dundee Stars and were hammered 6-1 in a game that was anything but a friendly. The following night showed a big improvement up in Dundee where an outstanding display by our young net minder (a local boy) saw us get a 4-4 draw. All this while we still await the arrival of at least 2/3 imports from Canada due to visa delays. Worse still these players may not be here in time for Saturday.

After joining their forum one of my first complaints was the damned awful jersey the Flyers had been using. Pin stripes and unlike the NHL they were covered with sponsors adverts (I hadn't been to a Flyers game in 25-30 years ) It was more like a soccer shirt than a hockey jersey. Anyway the organisation has made a welcome response and once again the famous and ancient wings take pride of place. Although economics dictate we still had to have our main sponsor on the shirt (along with a children's charity we have long been associated with)

http://www.fifeflyers.co.uk/index.php/news/fife-flyers-team-news/september-news/134-new-eihl-jersey

I can't emphasise enough the gulf between us and most of the other teams in financial backing, playing staff and ice arenas, not to mention an even bigger gulf between us and NHL hockey. However we have great heart and an inner indomitable fighting spirit which will be sorely tested on Saturday. (even if our imports arrive in time)

A near capacity turnout is expected and I am picking up my ticket to-morrow to avoid the queues.

Watch this space.

PS Matt Sidall has only been here a couple of weeks and he is already a cult figure with many of the fans. He may have to be Clark Kent on Saturday night. :-)

http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream

Here is what I said on the Fife Flyers forum after I got back from the game. I'm sorry I couldn't get more photos but I will hope to take the DSLR next time. This one is arty but gives you a better impression of the occasion.

"I thought young Zemlak was outstanding! I can't believe we landed him. He will be an inspiration to the team as all the players bed in.

I can't commend the team and the coach enough for the effort they put in. Considering the opposition and the amount of ice time our players had together I was bursting with admiration for every one of them. Despite a comment made elsewhere, I also think the big no. 14 equitted himself well and could do ok here.

A word about the crowd. I thought the atmosphere was fantastic and I thought they did the team and the organization great credit. You could hear a pin drop during the minutes silence and I was proud of every one of them for turning out in such large numbers. I thought there must have been over 2500 there tonight.

Great progress has been made in a very short time. How many of us would have thought they would have held Coventry to 2-0 (one goal shorthanded) a couple of weeks ago. Even overcoming a perceived bias by ref Hanson who left us to struggle against Coventry short handed on quite a few occasions.

Wishlist?........a poacher with speed and an eye for goal and a physical D man to protect our young goalie a bit more. A word also for Blair Daly who did not let us down in any way in the previous two games but it now looks might have a hard time displacing the young Canadian. All I can say is it is great to have such a talented understudy in whom I have every confidence could fill in with distinction when needed.

Lastly a word for Coventry. I was impressed by their determination to play excellent hockey without resorting to being over physical. They will play worse and score more as the season progresses.

A grand night. I hope the people of Fife stick with these lads as they have shown in a short time that they and their excellent coach are made of the RIGHT STUFF.

Good luck to-night!!! "

The 1 minute silence was for the ice hockey plane crash victims and remembering those who perished in 9/11

It is 30+ years since attending a Fife Flyers game and you can see above what my impressions were.

What did not impress me however was "the old barn" True they have tried to do it up a bit but quite honestly it is not fit for the type of team Flyers are trying to build. However I am not sure what can be done about it. There is no money for a new facility and the only way it is ever going to happen is if it is built by the Council.

The irony is Vancouver Canucks probably spend more on equipment than it would take to build a 3,000 capacity ice facility in Fife. Anyway I will update anyone who is interested on the Flyers progress as they attempt to establish themselves amongst the big boys

We were grubbed 9-0 away to Coventry to-night and already some "fans' are launching the lifeboats. Despite the fact everyone has repeated again and again how difficult this League would be it seems many of us have the memories of a budgie.

Funny how these types exist even in successful teams like the Canucks. A few weeks down the line and all the good things are forgotten, all the injuries to key players and suddenly there are cries for the coach's head and accusations of lack of toughness and fight.

The fickleness of some fans is depressing.

We were grubbed 9-0 away to Coventry to-night and already some "fans' are launching the lifeboats. Despite the fact everyone has repeated again and again how difficult this League would be it seems many of us have the memories of a budgie.

Funny how these types exist even in successful teams like the Canucks. A few weeks down the line and all the good things are forgotten, all the injuries to key players and suddenly there are cries for the coach's head and accusations of lack of toughness and fight.

The fickleness of some fans is depressing.

Fife Flyers 2 Nottingham Panthers 6

A weak second period (where we conceded 4 goals) let us down in a feisty game in front of another bumper crowd of about 2500. Nottingham brought up a large contingent from England leading to an electric atmosphere throughout.

Mike Hamilton straight off the plane became an instant hero by scoring Flyers first goal in the new Elite League. Garrett Zemlak again had an outstanding game.

Play was also stopped to look for a tooth after Panther's Wilson head butted the glass with a little help from a Fife player. Dirty play was alleged by the away fans but Fife Flyers have never had that kind of reputation. It was recognised as an accident by the referee.

Anyway there is beginning to be a marked improvement in all phases of the game by this newly formed Flyers team and as I said above we have been unlucky enough to encounter two of the best teams in the league for our first 3 matches. Our next match, on the 23rd, does not get any easier as we take on the Giants in Belfast.

Although I and most of the Flyers fans are impressed at how quickly the team is forming into a unit we still feel that another two imports will be needed if we are to really compete at this level consistently. We will also have to face the fact that we will eventually incur injuries and for a squad with so few imports that could extensively damage our progress.

I hope the romance of Fife Flyers' attempts to become established in the Elite League is now getting to you and I urge all who read this to become Members of the Vancouver Canucks Branch of the Fife Flyers Supporters Club :-)

Feel free to add your name to the separate thread.

We took another hammering in Belfast 9-1

This is a three game weekend with a good bit of travel, so goodness knows how the young local boys (many of who were only part-time up until August) will get on with such a tiring schedule.

We play Edinburgh to-night, in the Challenge Cup (i.e. not a league game) and many of the fans think this is the Flyers best chance to break their duck. Quite honestly I have my doubts after their travelling back from Belfast. Still it is a lovely sunny day here in Kirkcaldy and I expect another good turn out (the best thing about this venture so far) this evening.

Will keep you posted.

Ps Fans on the forum are starting to comment on the lack of the fitness needed for this league shown by the local boys. I don't know how easy it will be for them to improve their muscle and cardio with such short notice given of their entering this league and now with the schedules so jam packed. I think the Canadian boys are doing a great job of carrying them at present but they are not supermen and it will eventually take it's toll, I fear.

Hull 3 - Fife Flyers 2 ..........(we do the european way, so Hull were at home)

Things are looking a bit better with a 3-2 defeat after 4 on 4 overtime and then losing out on the 7th penalty taken (second round) shootout.

You might think this wasn't that good until you remember that over Friday Saturday Sunday we played firstly across in Northern Ireland then at home in Kirkcaldy and then away again at Hull in England. All of it by road. (and ferry to Belfast)

Hull are not in the top half of the league but they are no mugs.

Young goal tender Garrett Zemlak is, I fear feeling the strain (probably used to a better defence in front of him) and lost the place a bit.

"The third period saw Fife start without goaltender Garrett Zemlac who was ejected at the end of the second period on a 5 + game for excessive roughness."

Still I see some progress in the past few games. It may have something to do with the players now getting time to practice together.

There is not another Ice Hockey team in Britain with a record like this. The unfortunate statistic in it all is that we chose not to join the Elite League at it's inception. So our results since 2003 are for a "mickey mouse" league.

1938–present Fife FlyersChampionships

Anderson Trophy1938/39, 1946/47, 1948/49, 1949/50 McPherson Trophy1939Scottish League1939/40Silver Jubilee Trophy

1948Coronation Trophy1948/49 Scottish League1948/49, 1949/50 Scottish Canada Cup1949/50 Autumn Cup1949/50Airlie Trophy1953/54 Scottish League1963/64Skol Cup1963/64, 1964/65, 1966/67, 1967/68

STV Trophy1964/65 Directors Trophy1965 Coca-Cola Trophy1964/65 Grandstand TV Trophy1964/65, 1966/67 Grand Slam1977 British Champions1976/77, 1977/78 Northern League Champions1976/77, 1977/78

Autumn Cup1972, 1975, 1976 Spring Cup1974/75, 1975/76, 1976/77 Skol Cup1970/71, 1973/74, 1976/77 Slapshot Trophy1977 Evening News Trophy1976/77 Northumbria Cup1976/77 Forth Challenge Cup1983

Scottish Cup1984/85 British National League1999/00 Grand Slam1999/00 British Champions1996/97, 1999/00 Northern League Champions1996/97, 1997/98

Scottish League1990/91, 1995/96,Scottish Cup1993/94, 1995/96, 1997/98, 1998/99, 1999/00 Taws Trophy1990/91 Christmas Cup1999/00 British National League2003/04 Scottish National League2005/06, 2006/07

Scottish Premier Hockey League2007/08 Scottish Premier Hockey League Play-Offs2007/08 Scottish National League Play-Offs2005/06, 2006/07 Northern Premier League2005/06, 2006/07, 2007/08, 20010/11

Northern Premier League Play-Offs2005/06, 2007/08, 2008/09 Scottish Cup2000/01, 2005/06, 2006/07, 2008/09, 2009/10Caledonia Cup2002/03, 2003/04 Autumn Cup2005/06, 2006/07, 2008/09 Celtic Cup2008/09, 2009/10 Celtic Cup Play-Offs2008/09, 2009/10

In the 8 years since the Elite Ice Hockey League came into being only 4 teams, 3 English and one Irish have won it. That is why the entry of the Fife Flyers is such a big development. They are winners.

Archived