The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Any of you guys want to play in Scotland : Flyers the 2nd Season.

Bodee

• 2 weeks later...

Fife Flyers-2 Belfast Giants-7

Net minder Zemlak has his suspension reviewed and is given the go-ahead to play. The right decision according to most people who viewed the incident.

However fate proved unforgiving in Saturday nights game.

Following the weekends games with Belfast Giants and Sheffield Steelers, the Flyers are nursing some injuries, the most notable being that of starting netminder Garrett Zemlak.

Garrett was injured during the first period of Saturday's game with Belfast Giants at Fife Ice Arena, after an on-ice collision with Giants number 47, Adam Keefe. Player/coach Todd Dutiaume has confirmed that after reviewing of the game, he may consider asking the league to look at the incident.

Young Scots net minder, Blair Daly took over and again proved to be an able understudy to Garrett.

The Giants, being probably at present the best team in the league were too strong for a spirited Flyers.

Sheffeild Steelers-5 Fife Flyers-0

The following night (Sunday) the Flyers (without Zemlak who is still recovering) were beaten 5-0 in Sheffield by the Steelers who lie second in the league. Two of their defence men Muir and Horne were absent with injuries and the hard games look like they are taking their toll on the Flyers home players.

Flyers have 2 home fixtures this weekend against Cardiff and Edinburgh.

Now the coach is convinced more quality needed. From the local newspaper on Thursday.

Fife Flyers coach Todd Dutiaume is hoping to make another big signing after admitting that his team is struggling to cope with the demands of the Elite League.

The Canadian player-boss has been left frustrated by his team’s poor results thus far and is now prepared to push directors for a new star import.

Dutiaume told SportsPress: “I don’t accept losing, I hope the directors don’t accept it, and I know the crowd won’t accept it.

“If we want to bring this club forward we’re going to have to consider the possibility of bringing in an extra guy.

Also, in another part of the Ice Hockey section Matt Cohen tells the fans that the defence can't keep taking the poundings and relying on so few defenders. He goes on to state that he has played 35 min shifts because the Flyers have basically only 2 lines and only the first line defence is up to the standard at present.

• 1 month later...

It is a while since I updated you guys on the Fife Flyers' progress.

Basically they have been going through a horrendous time. This has manifested itself in falling attendances (although not the worst by any means which is a testament to their loyal core fans) and huge defeats.

The fans are unhappy, but this unhappiness has never been directed at the team, all of it is towards the management and the coach. They are seeing now what I was lambasted for pointing out to them at the start. We went into this venture with too few imports, too little marketing expertise and not enough preparation time.

There has been an unrest amongst the fans that there is too much being heaped on the too few imports. Matt Cohen, for example, the only import D, being regularly asked to exceed 30 minutes on the ice. The player coach's ability to perform on the ice at this level, and the lack of quality/fitness amongst some of the local lads. These complaints have been echoed recently in the local press and it seems the owners are now prepared to do something about it.

A full time marketing consultant has been employed to increase revenue. We have signed a very good forward, a Latvian named Toms Hartmanis (who took a stick to the face in his debut and was rushed to hospital) who has now picked up 3 points in three games. We are also being told to expect further import players soon.

On the back of this news the team has picked up and have only lost the last two games on the odd goal in five (one defeat being in overtime and against the team lying third in the league.

Garrett Zemlak was given a standing ovation from the Nottingham fans on his epic performance.

This from the EIHL Magazine

Nottingham entertained Fife at the NIC and in a remarkably game came up against a goaltender in Garret Zemlak, who in facing no fewer than 76 shots, stood on his head and threw in a number of cartwheels as well as he saved 74 of the rubber bullets fired at him. Flyers themselves could only muster 11 shots but made a couple of them count, forcing Panthers into a shootout where David-Alexandre Beauregard ensured massive relief all around the NIC when he was the only player from the original 3-man opening round of shots to find the target and give Corey Neilson's title chasers the extra point.

Player of the Week now and it's our easiest ever choice this week!

We simply cannot consider anyone other than Garret Zemlak the Fife Flyers goaltender. Many people have said it is the finest goaltending display they have ever seen as the Flyers backstop saved 74 of 76 Nottingham shots to help his side to a 2-2 tie in regulation and although it ended 3-2 Panthers after a shootout, the point gained by the Scots side is just reward for the heroics provided by the Flyers number 35.

These results along with the additional imports expected soon could well be the turning point for this great old team who celebrate their 75th anniversary next year. Will it be a Championship Year?

History has been made!

Fife Flyers 5 - 4 Hull Stingrays

Fife Flyers finally got their first league win to-night and they had to go all the way to a shoot out to get it. Garrett Zemlak the Canadian Wunderkind saved both shootout attempts after holding out for the Flyers in 4 v 4 overtime. I was not there so I will give you a taste of the excitement from the Flyers Forum.

The magnitude of this victory shouldn't be underestimated as it was this team's FOURTH GAME IN 5 DAYS with a team beset with injuries and only 6 imports compared to the 10 and more in all the other teams.

Losing 6-3 in Ireland then travelling back by ferry and bus to Glasgow to lose 10-1 to Braehead on Saturday night, then home to Kirkcaldy to lose 8-1 to Nottingham on Sunday night they finally achieved salvation to night sadly in front of the lowest home crowd of the season (including the Angels)

This may not be the turning point (they are still apparently trying to bring in more imports) but no one can deny the character of these lads, especially the Canadian and USA boys who have carried this team through some of the grimmest days in their long and glorious history.

sparkymark75 wrote

Just back from the game, and I'm still buzzing grin.png

Have to say Matt Cohen was awesome tonight as were all the imports. (Although Todd only played the 1st period). How Matt managed to fend of 3 Hull players, keep the puck and then trickle it in front of the net for Sidds to tap in I'll never know.

Zemmer came into his own in the last period, OT and penalties and made some amazing stretch saves.

The ref (Wilson) did ok for the first 40-50 minutes and then decided to give a raft of penalties against us for silly little things. Funnily enough, when Hull committed the same fouls, no call. Sidds was raging and did a Chris Frank and snapped his stick over the boards.

The guys must be buzzing after that, considering the crowd was smaller than usual, the atmosphere at the end was amazing, especially when Sidds equalised and Zemmer saved the last penalty shot, I had goosebumps on my goosebumpsgrin.png

Yeah, Zemmer saved the penalty and did some strongman type pose and the rest of the team just jumped him.grin.pngI thought the auld place was going to fall down

sparkymark75 wrote

I'm in heaven grin.pngshocked.gif

ronniemac wrote

Great game tonight and saw some things i didn't think possible.

1 KYLE KNOCKING OPPOSING PLAYERS DOWN

2 FLYERS WITH A 3 GOAL LEAD

3 SCORING SHORT-HANDED

4 BENCH COACHES TALKING TO PLAYERS

5 HIGH FIVES ON THE BENCH

6 GARRETT CELEBRATING BIG TIME TO THE CROWD

7 TEAM SKATING ROUND THE WHOLE RINK AFTER THE GAME

8 WINNING A GAME SO SHORTHANDED.

The guys deserve all the plaudits to a man tonight, it would have been so easy to throw in the towel and lie down but they fought against all the odds plus some one-sided calls in the last 10 minutes to win the game.

DIRECTORS THE BALL IS FIRMLY BACK IN YOUR COURT WITH AUTHORITY ...............HELP THE GUYS OUT.

PS, tonight there were at least 4 guys playing through the pain barrier with injuries which could have stopped them icing.

jonathon wrote

What a night. Superb in the 1st Period, then when Dutiaume didn't come on in the 2nd, I thought it was over. When Siddall equalised late in the 3rd, the place went nuts!!!!

I didn't want to overload the post above so I have added a few more here.

Is this not what hockey is all about? How a team can triumph against overwhelming odds to bring the fans back from the edge of despair. This is not a Stanley Cup Final it is the first win for what may be arguably the biggest underdogs in European Hockey.

More from the fans.

marksomerville wrote

Can i just say what a fantastic preformance by all the guys tonight and a massive well done and congratulations on the first WIN yes i said WIN, Can't praise them enough and you could see what it meant to all the team when the game was over, 110% given for all 3 periods and all that after a very hard week that will give all the guys so much confidence it will be like a great weight is lifted.

Bring on Belfast win lose or draw i don't care

Lets go Flyers lets go....

coachbombay wrote

Wow, I just started watching the Flyers and have been to every home game since the last Hull game (6-1).

What a transformation and what a performance tonight, at times it seemed like the Flyers were playing against the referee aswell, some horrible decisions in there. Cohen, Siddall, Zemlik, Hamilton and Hartmanis showed why they are the backbone of the team and the local lads competed better than I've seen all season and didn't look out of place.

Awesome night, awesome result and I even got a shot on the slapshot challenge!

Brilliant....

buck wrote

Bloody fantastic. thought we had thrown it away - with a bit of help with some dodgy calls. On the whole everyone put in the effort and stood up to be counted. Big well done and more of the same please.

brodie105 wrote

Just back from watchin the game .....A MASSIVE WELL DONE TO ALL THE GUYS WHO SHOWED TRUE GRIT AND DETERMINATION AGAINST A 10 IMP TEAM AND A JOKE OF A REFEREE IN WILSON. the guys never gave up and everyone upped their game, special mentions to Matt C, Sidds,Kyle, Mike H, Toms,Danny and of course Zemmer. ENJOY the aftershow Parteeeee you deserve it .smiley.png

Well I hope you have found this fairytale of some interest, I'm off to have a dram of my favourite single malt "The Singleton" I will sleep well to-night. Please look for my Fife Flyers support thread and add your name to it and become an honorary Fife Flyer.

Curtesy of fifeflyer10.

A Band of Brothers........get their first win.

Music by Florence and the Machine.

It's just a pity the packed houses at the beginning of the Season had dwindled down to 800 by the time they got their win in this league. Anyway enjoy.

Another poor weekend. Still no help for our imports. I am despairing now about the will of our owners to do the right thing. A damn disgrace to a proud Club.

Beaten 4-2 at home by our local rivals and 5-1 the following night by Cardiff Devils. I don't know how these boys are able to lift themselves for games now. I am in awe of the strength of character of the whole team. The coach seems almost like a fan (he has lived in the town for 11 years and is a part-time fire fighter) and seems now unable to hide his frustration with the owners.

Interview 2 with the coach and the assistant coach.

Two BC guys interviewed on FifeFlyers tv.

We are still struggling and waiting for hopefully Christmas reinforcements ...............but you would never know it listening to these two likeable Canadian boys. They obviously have the kind of indomitable character needed for the situation they find themselves in. I just hope we get a few more like them come Christmas :-)

Matt Sidall and Mike Hamilton.

5-4 win!

The Flyers won 5-4 tonight in a game that had everything. Amazingly they went into a 5-1 lead and were in the end pegged back by Glasgow mid table team, The Braehead Clan.

Clan supporters aware of our import shortage situation were crowing about a double digit defeat..............Oh dear did they get a shock. BC boy Mike Hamilton scored a hat rick.

I will post more when I get it. I can't help wondering where we might be in this league if our owners had given us the full quota of imports though.

As I said above we are a small town of 50,000 people but have probably produced more good hockey players than anywhere else in the UK over the years. The passion of the crowd is unmatched when they have something to cheer for.

And that is what I think is making the difference. Our imports are still playing out of their skin but our local boys are catching up. What also may have made a difference is we were fresh and this obviously helped. We hadn't played for 6 days.

I don't think we have turned the corner (we still need 2/3 imports) but never underestimate the old Fife Flyers..............:-)

I'm so happy for Garrett Zemlak, for once his heroics has meant something in this league not only because we won but because we should have won by a bigger margin.

I know what I want from Santa!

Post match interviews with the coach the, the Clan coach and the ever positive hat-trick hero Mike Hamilton. Nice to hear the Flyers coach say we have almost for the D we are after ....................but we have heard it all before. I'll wait till he is on the ice.

Archived