The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC member Workout Routines

WHL rocks

Im gonna bump this thread, I need feedback... Im not gaining as much weight as when I started this workout

Warm up

10 min on bike

30 crunches

30 sit ups

side plank 1:00 on each sides

front plank until I can't continue (if im not too sore from previous ones)

Stretches

15 reps on bench press (bar)

15 reps of military press (bar)

10 reps squats (bar)

Shoulders

db shoulder press

4 sets of 6

20lbs

25lbs

30lbs

35lbs

Arnold press

3 sets of 6

20lbs

25lbs

30lbs

Standing Military press

3 sets of 10

65 lbs

70 lbs

75 lbs

Chest

Pec deck

3 sets of 8

95lbs

105lbs

110lbs

Bench press

3 sets of 5

115lbs

135lbs

155lbs

DB Incline press

3 sets of 8

30 lbs

35 lbs

40 lbs

Legs (the weakest part of my body :( ) and Back

Squats (add chains if I take pre workout drink)

5 sets of 8

95 lbs

115 lbs

135 lbs

145 lbs

155 lbs

Deadlifts

4 sets of 6

150lbs

165 lbs

175lbs

185lbs

Lat pulldown

3 sets of 6

90lbs

105lbs

115lbs

Arms

Tricep extensions

3 sets of 8

75lbs

85lbs

90lbs

DB Bicep Curls

3 sets of 15

20lbs

25lbs

30lbs

EZ Bicep Curls

3 sets of 10

40 lbs

50 lbs

55lbs

Extras (if I finish my workout early)

Machine Crunches

3 sets of 6

120 lbs

135lbs

145 lbs

Can someone tell me why I am not gaining that much weight anymore?

I'm 5'6 155lbs

The first 3 weeks I did this workout, I gained 15 pounds and got taller by an inch

Oh and the whole workout is about 1.5-2.5 hours including breaks

Constructive criticism and advice would be useful

30Min - 1Hr of Cardio every day.

- If using exercise machines do intervals.

- High intensity followed by a resting pace.

Work out 1 body part a day.

- Don't kill your entire body in one day

- use proper form and squeeze, make every rep count.

Boxing

- It's fun and sculpts your back muscles to look ripped.

I am trying to get some better cardio into my routine right now. The only problem with me is if I try and do something, say running, my lower back gives me a ton of pain, to the point that I can't honestly move and have to bail on my workout for the day.

If anyone has any suggestions let me know.

I am trying to get some better cardio into my routine right now. The only problem with me is if I try and do something, say running, my lower back gives me a ton of pain, to the point that I can't honestly move and have to bail on my workout for the day.

If anyone has any suggestions let me know.

Try some new shoes. I have the same issue as you, although it may not be quite as bad. My lower back has always been an issue when I run. I bought a nice pair of Nike runners with a cushioned sole and good support and it improved quite a bit. It didn't eliminate it entirely, but it helped for sure. Also I found the my back pain was quite a bit worse when I first got into running... It got a bit better as I did it more.

First of all you're working out way too much, and you're trying to focus on too many different muscle groups at once.

One of the biggest misconceptions people have is that they think the more they work out, the faster they'll get results. The truth is, if you work out too much, it's actually having a counterproductive effect. Rest is very important for muscle building.

What I would suggest is to split up that routine you have there into two or three workouts, about 40 minutes each. Try and focus just on your arms (shoulders, biceps, triceps) in one routine, and do that once, or twice a week max. Then save the chest, core, back, and leg workouts and do them all together on another day. You should be aiming to workout 4 or 5 times a week for about 40 minutes each workout (not including warmup). Shorter, more intense workouts is the key to building muscle.

I started off working out like you, thinking that if I worked out 6-7 days a week, sometimes 2 hours a day, that I would see results faster. Thankfully I learned along the way that less working out and more rest actually produces better results (believe it or not). You have to realize that every time you workout, you're creating little tears in your muscles, and if you don't give your body the proper time, proteins, and nutrients to heal, your muscles aren't going to get any bigger. You definitely need to plan rest days, and make sure you spread out routines so you're not doing them back to back.

Another thing you have to realize is that the more you workout, the more calories you're burning. If you're burning more calories then you're consuming, then you're never going to gain weight. That's why if you want to gain weight and put on muscle, you have to increase your calorie intake, and reduce the amount of calories you're burning in a day. If your goal is say 180 pounds, then you need to be consuming 3500 calories or more a day, depending on how much you burn in a workout. With the workout you're currently doing, I'm not surprised you're not gaining weight.

Basically to sum up what I've learned:

-Working out 4-5 times a week for 40 minutes each is more effective

-Do short intense workouts with little rest in between (you should be aiming to do 8-10 reps in each set)

-Form is way more important than how much you're lifting (don't move up a weight if you can't do it with proper form)

-Planning rest days and giving your body the proper proteins and nutrients is very important

-If you wanna gain weight, you have to make sure you're consuming around 3500+ calories a day

-Make sure you eat food with lots of Proteins and Carbs in it before and after you workout. Juice actually has quite a few Carbs in it and is good to drink along with water while you're working out. It also gives your body energy to burn, so that you're not burning muscle.

-Organize your routines so that you're focusing on groups of muscles (shoulders, biceps, triceps), instead of all different muscles at once. Design your weekly routine around these groups, and make sure you spread them out so that you're not focusing on your arms on back to back days.

-Make sure you change around your routine every few weeks. Muscle confusion helps you get over the plateau that happens once your muscles get used to routines.

-Cardio is very important in helping your body perform at it's peak. Do at least one intense cardio workout a week.

Hopefully that'll help you. Let me know if you want anymore advice.

Yeah, if you read my other post it says that I split my workouts into two muscle groups per workout... Pretty hard workout if you put it all in one.

Also how much of an impact is it if I take my time when working out? I figured that in the summer (first 3-4 weeks of this workout) I rushed and ended up gaining a lot more. I was also eating out at milestones, whitespot, the keg, and cactus club after workouts, along with a half half isoflex and mutant mass mixture. That must be why I gained so much, right?

Now I rarely eat out (saturday's I can eat whatever) and only (rarely)take isoflex after workouts (no cholesterol)since I found out that my family has a history of cholesterol problems (mutant mass has tons of it). The wierd thing is that many people have told me protein doesn't help much if not at all.

Thanks for the advice, It was very appreciated

Yea, I was thinking that you're a nut job if you could do all that at once. :lol:

Definitely if you're eating out at places like that your calorie intake is gonna be huge and your gonna gain weight. You obviously wanna make sure that you're consuming calories from healthy foods though. I mean you could eat out at McDonalds every day and get a ton of calories, but your more likely to get fat than to bulk up.

Things like lean meats, vegetables, pastas, fruit, and nuts are where you want to get your calories from. Try and eat 5 or 6 small to medium sized meals a day. It's easier for your body to metabolize food that way, so you'll have more energy, and store less fat.

Protein is probably one of the most important things you need for building muscle. Whoever told you that it doesn't clearly doesn't know what they're talking about. I'm guessing that they thought that if they just drank a bunch of protein shakes they would gain muscle, which obviously doesn't work. Your muscles need protein to repair themselves after a workout which is key to building muscle. Any sort of whey protein powder is what you wanna take after a workout, plus any sort of healthy snack you want. Basically it's about getting lots of proteins and carbs into your body after a workout to help the recovery process.

And don't drink muscle mass, that's for people who are desperate to bulk up fast and don't care about their health. Colestorol is probably one of the worst things you can put in your body since it leads to things like heart disease and diabetes. You wanna make sure that you're eating healthy fats. Fats that are in regular every day foods.

As far as taking your time during workouts, do you mean in between sets? Because I usually do 3 sets of 8-10 reps twice in a row and then I'll take a minute break. Like I'll do shoulders then biceps then triceps, then I'll do them again, and then take a break. You can take a few minutes if you need, but the less rest in between the better. Maybe try and lower your weight if you're struggling the second time through.

Weight gainers in general are trash. It's cheaper and healthier to make ur own. They are full of low quality proteins and sugar. Often times sugar is disguised as some other ingredient to make you think there isn't as much( starts with a "m" can't remember name). It's always better and heathier to eat foods to hit ur caloric needs

Didn't run through the entire thread so I don't know if it has been mentioned but I greatly recommend a 5x5 program.

Look up Stronglifts 5x5 as a starting example. I've done everything from generic workout routines to pyramids and wide arrays of functional lifting exercises. Nothing came close to building up strength (and reducing fat) until I started doing 5x5.

I've found that you retain strength better with this program if you ever have to take time off from the gym.

Didn't have a problem until a few years back when I hurt it at work, took time off working out and it just got worse. Its not bad in sports since I can usually take some breaks every minute or so for a few secs but running is hard. Might go to SportsCheck tomorrow and see what kinda shoes they have on sale.

Yea going for the police eventually and guy at fitness test said to do high intensity interval cardio so been trying to do that.

• 2 months later...

Hey there.

Im looking for a new workout (day 2). I only have dumbells and am trying to build muscle. Right now the following is the plan i have stuck to, http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html

I am enjoying the monday and friday routine, but the wednesday is the one that i want to change because im not enjoying it therefore not putting as much effort into it. Any suggestions for a good full body dumbell workout to replace the wednesday workout?

thanks in advance :)

beachbody's insanity .. no weights

9% body fat

now just go to the gym 3-4 times a week to maintain everything.

People blast home work outs all the time, but I guarantee nothing you do at the gym is as intense as insanity. Spending $120 on insanity > spending 30-50 every month for 12 months for a gym where most people slack off.edit: every day it only takes a maximum of an hour of your time (that includes pausing it to take a break because you can't keep up with them)

My workout routine is the following:

3 on, 1 off

Day 1 – Morning Cardio: 4 minute warmup/cooldown and 20 minute interval running on the treadmill with the following:

0 – 2:00 walk @ 4.0 – warmup

2:00 – 4:00 @ 7.0 – recovery speed

4:00 - 5:00 @ 7.3

5:00 - 6:00 @ 7.6

6:00 – 7:00 @ 7.9

7:00 - 8:00 @ 8.2

8:00 – 10:00 @ 7.0

10:00 - 11:00 @ 7.3

11:00 - 12:00 @ 7.6

12:00 – 13:00 @ 7.9

13:00 - 14:00 @ 8.2

14:00 – 16:00 @ 7.0

16:00 – 17:00 @ 7.3

17:00 – 18:00 @ 7.6

18:00 – 19:00 @ 7.9

19:00 – 20:00 @ 8.2

20:00 – 22:00 SPRINT

22:00 – 24:00 @ 3.0 – cool down

EVENING WORKOUT (right when I get off work…the bonus is I work at a clinic, so I workout there...if its a game day, then i workout afterwards)

A 10 minute warmup on the bicycle, elliptical, or stair machine, where my heart rate hits above 120 bpm.

TRICEPS/CHEST

3 exercises for each muscle with 3 sets of 12 reps at a weight were im burning at the last couple of reps.

DAY 2 – Morning Cardio: 4 minute warmup/cooldown and 20 minute interval running on the treadmill

EVENING WORKOUT

A 10 minute warmup on the bicycle, elliptical, or stair machine, where my heart rate hits above 120 bpm.

BICEPS/SHOULDERS

3 exercises for each muscle with 3 sets of 12 reps at a weight were im burning at the last couple of reps.

DAY 3 – Morning Cardio: 4 minute warmup/cooldown and 20 minute interval running on the treadmill

EVENING WORKOUT

BACK/LEGS

I don’t need a day of core because I work my core at the same time of my routines. For example, when doing my chest press with dumbbells, I use the Thera band ball, and this works on my core at the same time. Or when I am doing curls, I will stand on the half ball with a tennis ball at the centre (there is a little indent where you pump up the half ball)…I have to make sure the tennis ball doesn’t fall off when I am doing my curls…if it does then I do 10 pushups as punishment. Or when working on my back, I will use the ball again, to do reverse flys with the dumb bells and this works on my core too, instead of lying on an incline bench.

Every 3 months, I will change the type of workout, so my muscles don’t get use to the repetition.

My evening workouts are no more than an hour...anything after that you are overworking your muscles and there wont be enough recovery time...and anything over an hour is just too long! those are the people at gyms that like to talk and stand around...you want to keep your heart rate up when working out.

I don`t eat before my morning run, which I know is bad for me, but I do it anyways haha. And, I`ll have a protein shake afterwards. For my evening workouts, I will have a bowl of oatmeal, which gives me lots of energy, an hour prior to working out….and I try to eat every 2-3 hours with small meals.

It sounds like a lot of work, but once you get use to it…its fun and you cant wait to hit the gym or go for that run…I think im an adreanaline junkie ><

I've really progressed since the summer due to my workouts, so I might as well share them.

I do week splits for bodybuilding and strength training (ie. Week 1 and 3 bodybuilding, week 2 and 4 strength training)

Here's an example of my body building chest/shoulders/triceps workout.

50-75% bench press 5 sets 8-12 reps

50-75% arnold press 3 sets 8-10 reps

50-60% barbell incline press 4 sets of 8-10 reps

40-70% pec deck 4 sets of 8-10 reps (alternate sets between pec deck and incline)

40-50% standing military press 4 sets of 6-10 reps

40-50% tricep extension 3 sets of 8-12 reps

3 sets of weighted dips 8 reps

Finish it off with as many pushups as I can or machine chest press strip sets

I'm usually dead after this but it has really helped me

Before summer

125 lbs

After

159 lbs

Keep in mind, I am still growing and go to the gym at least 4 times a week. This workout doesn't really help strengthen you as much as it keeps you toned, but it works for me.

Weight gainers in general are trash. It's cheaper and healthier to make ur own. They are full of low quality proteins and sugar. Often times sugar is disguised as some other ingredient to make you think there isn't as much( starts with a "m" can't remember name). It's always better and heathier to eat foods to hit ur caloric needs

Stronglifts 5 x 5

Through 27 workouts (Started Dec.28):

Began:

45 lbs squat

45 lbs bench press

45 lbs overhead press

65 lbs barbell rows

95 lbs deadlift

2 pull-ups

172 lbs weight

Current:

175 lbs squat