The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC member Workout Routines

WHL rocks

I feel the same way! I haven't gone out for a run in 2 weeks because of this damn cold that won't go away. I'm feeling a lot better and was tempted to go today since it was nice out, but I was afraid that my cold would get worse.

This the first time in a few months that I've taken a lengthy break from my running routine and it's making me feel like crap!

Well, I have only just started and my last was only my fifth in a week or so, 5k in 28 minutes. Not bad for a newbie haha.

It's okay...everyone had it and from the reaction my boss was giving (he is quite out of shape, go figure), I have the least of the negative symptoms.

Keep up the work though and feel better, sounds like you're committed when you can be. It's best to rest when you aren't 100% though,

unless you are on the canucks! lol

Yeah I know I need to make serious changes and I'm going to. I've received some great advice by pm and some in this thread and I'm putting together a plan. I'm going to start by going on walks and increasing the distance each day. I'm going to buy a few pieces of equipment to start exercising at home and try to change my eating but I guess that's a whole different subject.

I would love an exercise bike to ride while I watch tv and I'll probably ask for one for Christmas.

And with running I get severe pain in my right ankle and some in my left when I run, I've always had it. It's just not an option I'll have to ride an exercise bike since I'm afraid of road bikes since I've never really been on them.

I'm going to try to work out more this year...hard when you're studying most of the week nights and partying most of the weekend nights (I'm not complaining about the weekends :lol:).

17 turning 18 soon, 6'2, some 160 odd pounds. I was a late bloomer, keep in mind, it's not like I've been lean forever. I just got stretched out over the course of a year, really.

I'm lucky I've got an inhuman metabolism, so I don't get fat, but I'm going to go for more strength and fitness. Don't want to get big, just much more in shape.

I'm liking those plyometric & body weight exercises...that's the kind of stuff I'm thinking I'll do.

If I could add a piece of advice here, I would tell you DO NOT spend your money on an exercise bike. I go to the gym on a regular basis and see 95% of the exercise bike users giving minimal effort at best... And I don't even entirely blame them. It's a lazy, boring machine that does not promote a high intensity workout unless you're extremely motivated on it - which i highly doubt you will be. Even I can't find that motivation and I'm in pretty good shape. If you're serious about using an exercise bike, go to the gym and take a spin class. That will actually make you sweat.

If you think you'll accomplish any reasonable workout while watching tv or reading a magazine, you're kidding yourself and wasting you time. Sure, you'll burn a few calories, but you're doing it in an incredibly inefficient manner.

What I would suggest to you is to use that money and buy an actual road bike. Not a mountain bike, a hybrid, a bmx, or a fixed gear... But a real road bike. High end ones are very pricey, but you can get a great starter bike that will last you years for under 1k. Sport check has a nice Jamis bike with a sora group set for $500. Very good value. I promise you that you will actually have FUN while riding, not to mention you'll be burning waaaaay more calories because you're actually forced to keep the intensity up. Not to mention all the fresh air you'll be sucking back as opposed to sweaty gym air or the cheetos air in your mothers basement (although I'm not implying you actually live in a basement amongst a pool of cheetos )

Another neat thing about riding is you can work our for much longer periods without actually feeling like you are. Unless you're riding in ridiculously hot weather, for the most part the wind keeps you cool and you don't even realize how much youre sweating until you've stopped.

I think you're on the right track choosing a bike over running... That's my preference too - much easier on the joints. But I honestly think if you're serious about getting in shape, go for an actual bike instead.

You'll thank me later!

No need to apologize at all, I do live in my parents basement and there are chips around :)

Thank you for the advice but there are a few problems with getting a road bike. The biggest is that I never rode bikes as a child because my mom thought they were dangerous(I know pretty sad isn't it) so I don't have the experience needed. I would also have to drive to go on trails because there are none around and the road is busy and especially during the winter it's not good to ride on the road. I'm not going to just ride into the woods and make my own trails because there are bears and cougars around and I don't want to get lost.

I don't care if I have to ride my exercises bike for 2 hours a day because I have a lot of shows to watch, I PVR like 15 shows per week and can burn a lot of calories in the time I watch them. Plus I'd much rather be sweaty and gross in my own house than around people. Kinda insecure about he amount I sweat.

Honestly road bikes are just not for me.

I'm going to try to work out more this year...hard when you're studying most of the week nights and partying most of the weekend nights (I'm not complaining about the weekends :lol:).

17 turning 18 soon, 6'2, some 160 odd pounds. I was a late bloomer, keep in mind, it's not like I've been lean forever. I just got stretched out over the course of a year, really.

I'm lucky I've got an inhuman metabolism, so I don't get fat, but I'm going to go for more strength and fitness. Don't want to get big, just much more in shape.

I'm liking those plyometric & body weight exercises...that's the kind of stuff I'm thinking I'll do.

No offence but, I think it would be a good idea to put some weight on,,,, I weigh 25 pounds less than you and im 5'5 and my brother weighs 225 and is 6'1 under 10 percent body fat...Oh and being a late bloomer, when did you start growing? Im so short and is sucks being stared at in the gym while being short and deadlifting...im not even taller than my dad :(

Don't agree with the stationary bike stuff that directs newcomers to invest in high priced equipment/bikes. Unnecessary. Chances are, if a person isn't going to invest the energy in a stationary bike, the "real" bike will also simply collect dust in the basement. Stationary bikes offer a workout anytime in any conditions. Most won't throw on rain gear and head out on their bikes in the winter but will hop on a stationary bike indoors. To discourage use of a stationary bike is simply part of what this person's already been experiencing - negativity. ANY form of exercise is good, so baby steps is a good start. :)

Re: shoulders....upright row is also a good shoulder exercise, as are front raises. Push and pull ups also use the deltoid muscles along with other muscle groups.

It's a different story saying "put some weight on" to me...when you have a metabolism like mine, it means you don't put on much fat, but equally, it's hard to put on muscle. I'm perfectly fit, it's just my body type. Makes it an extremely arduous task to put on weight. My friend's even worse, he's the same weight but 6'6.

I had my growth spurt about 9 months ago (17 years old, turning 18 this November). I went from 5'5 to 6'1. Before this, my shoes went from a size 9 to a size 14 in a year and a half so I was expecting the rest of my body to catch up :lol:

Wow your friend must look like a tooth pick lol. Well I'm 16 and I am hoping that I can have a growth spurt soon, I'm 5'5 and have size 9.5 shoes. About your metabolism, I understand... I was really skinny as a kid, but ate a lot. For some odd reason I really wanted a double chin(stupid me) so I ended up eating junk food at least twice a week(gaining weight thw bad way) But no w I'm better.

Is becnh pressing 70 lbs good for a 13 year old? Boy?

I'm not going for muscle yet, trying to lose some fat first. Once I hit 120 lbs, then I'll go for stength. I'm about 133lbs now. Used to be 170 lbs dry.gif . So it's clearly working.

5'6 133 lbs.

Archived