Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

CDC member Workout Routines

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
291 replies to this topic

#271 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:44 PM

I don't have any specific routine, but...

Eat well. Eat lots. But not too much otherwise the excess will be stored as fat. Ball park your calorie maintenance and have a calorie surplus of 250-500. I would suggest 2500-3000 daily calories max. even though I don't know you. To me that seems like a good idea if you're new to the whole gym thing. Lift heavy. Lift consistently. Go with a friend if possible. Someone who knows what they're doing. Go later at night when it's not busy if you're one of those people that hates seeing just about everyone else in the gym lift more than you.

I'm not an expert, but my credibility: I was 140 when I started lifting, reached about 210 about a month ago and now cutting weight (currently at 194). I have a fairly good idea of what I'm doing and I know exactly what you're talking about

How long you been lifting?

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

#272 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,170 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:45 PM

I have powerblocks up to 50lbs and I lift twice a day (even just to get my blood pumping)
Visit the gym 2-3 a week for cardio and legs.

#273 Magikal

Magikal

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:58 PM

i've got 4.5 weeks of p90x left. So far i've dropped over 20 lbs and added 4 inches to each arm and dropped 4 inches off my waist. I'm currently around 210 at 6ft4. Not sure if I want to move onto Insanity or Body Beast next. I don't follow BeachBody meal plans and I dont use their supplements. I use Nitro Tech right now and just try to eat clean/lean.
Posted Image
Credit to Lahey.

October1st,2013. #HistoryWillBeMade

#274 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,791 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:31 PM

How long you been lifting?

A few years
Posted Image

#275 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:34 PM

A few years

So you were a ectomorph and after 2-3yrs of training you changed your physique?

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

#276 Baka

Baka

ばか

• Members
  • 3,997 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:50 PM

Dedicated dieting (even if its cal packing) and workout routine can change your body pretty fast. I graduated High School at 6'2 and only 150 pounds (very lanky) and by 21 I was 6'2 and 215. I did drink a protein shake that varied from 1100-1700 calories after the workouts for the first year though since I had already maintained a fairly active physical life with school sports.

Posted Image

#277 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,791 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:54 PM

So you were a ectomorph and after 2-3yrs of training you changed your physique?

Yeah, I guess. Minus the tall and lanky part if that's what being ectomorph consists of.. since I'm only 5'6 or 7.
Posted Image

#278 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 26,572 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:49 PM

When you guys work out, do you go more for a longer but lighter workout or do you go all out but for a shorter period of time?

I want to lose a bit of weight, but more than anything really, I just want to get a bit stronger. Have been getting injured in hockey way too much this season.

So if I go on the elliptical, should it be for 40-50 mins at a slower pace, minimum resistance and incline? Or should I do 20-25 minutes, faster speed, higher resistance, higher incline?

Thanks in advance
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#279 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:57 PM

When you guys work out, do you go more for a longer but lighter workout or do you go all out but for a shorter period of time?

I want to lose a bit of weight, but more than anything really, I just want to get a bit stronger. Have been getting injured in hockey way too much this season.

So if I go on the elliptical, should it be for 40-50 mins at a slower pace, minimum resistance and incline? Or should I do 20-25 minutes, faster speed, higher resistance, higher incline?

Thanks in advance

The best way to get stronger is low reps but heavy weight. Be careful and use good form though. You will not get strong using an elliptical. In fact, cardio alone is a really time consuming way to burn calories. I'd suggest throwing in weight training for fat loss too.

If you're worried about hockey injuries, I'd suggest you build strength using some heavy compound lifting. This means things like deadlifts and squats. These exercises are especially good for hockey as they strengthen your core and legs. They also teach your core and legs to work together.

Elliptical work will help your cardio, which is not the most efficient way to train for hockey. Hockey is a sport that relies on small bursts of power. So things like strength and recovery rate are more important than pure cardio. You'd be much better off combining weight lifting and HIIT (high intensity interval training). An example of HIIT would be 20 seconds sprinting followed by 10 seconds rest, then 20 seconds sprinting and 10 seconds rest, etc....This is also the best way to raise your metabolism and burn fat.

Doing things like Eliptical training is a low intensity way to burn calories and can be good to supplement a weight training program, but that alone will just make you look like a marathon runner. Even then, it's really difficult to burn calories with low intensity cardio alone. You're goign to need a couple of hours a day on the machine to have significant results. There are much more efficient ways to burn calories.

#280 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 25,640 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:03 PM

I found a great workout plan if you don't have time or don't feel like working out for an hour and a half a day.

This one won't build muscle so much, but it will get you ripped. Some of the workouts in there are pretty challenging, but only take a short time to do each day. They also have a muscle building program if you're looking for that.

I find this program is a great way to just stay fit without spending hours at the gym each week.

http://hasfit.com/wa...-work-out-plan/

You need a light pair of dumbells, like 15-25 pounds for most of them. And maybe a light set of 5`s for some of the kickboxing stuff.

Edited by DeNiro, 29 May 2013 - 05:06 PM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#281 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 26,572 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:29 PM

The best way to get stronger is low reps but heavy weight. Be careful and use good form though. You will not get strong using an elliptical. In fact, cardio alone is a really time consuming way to burn calories. I'd suggest throwing in weight training for fat loss too.

If you're worried about hockey injuries, I'd suggest you build strength using some heavy compound lifting. This means things like deadlifts and squats. These exercises are especially good for hockey as they strengthen your core and legs. They also teach your core and legs to work together.

Elliptical work will help your cardio, which is not the most efficient way to train for hockey. Hockey is a sport that relies on small bursts of power. So things like strength and recovery rate are more important than pure cardio. You'd be much better off combining weight lifting and HIIT (high intensity interval training). An example of HIIT would be 20 seconds sprinting followed by 10 seconds rest, then 20 seconds sprinting and 10 seconds rest, etc....This is also the best way to raise your metabolism and burn fat.

Doing things like Eliptical training is a low intensity way to burn calories and can be good to supplement a weight training program, but that alone will just make you look like a marathon runner. Even then, it's really difficult to burn calories with low intensity cardio alone. You're goign to need a couple of hours a day on the machine to have significant results. There are much more efficient ways to burn calories.

Awesome, thanks for the info!

I do the elliptical mainly to help my cardio for when i play tennis. But you're definitely right about needing to add some weight training into the mix. The elliptical is not efficient at all and it's difficult to devote that much time to a workout. On some days, there aren't enough hours in the day to devote 1.5 hours just to being on one machine

Thanks again :)
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#282 canucks#01fan

canucks#01fan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:53 PM

My ass touched the ground while squating today. First time in 3 years.
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for avatar

#283 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,791 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:17 PM

My ass touched the ground while squating today. First time in 3 years.

Weight free, right? lol
Posted Image

#284 canucks#01fan

canucks#01fan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:29 PM

Weight free, right? lol

yup feelsgoodman
Posted Image

#285 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,791 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:59 PM

What is this nonsense about deadlifts being a back exercise? If anything, it's mostly your legs. Try doing a 5x5 of deadlifts then leg presses or extensions and tell me that you're pressing what you normally would. Improving other back exercises has not improved my deadlift one iota.
Posted Image

#286 canucks#01fan

canucks#01fan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:25 AM

What is this nonsense about deadlifts being a back exercise? If anything, it's mostly your legs. Try doing a 5x5 of deadlifts then leg presses or extensions and tell me that you're pressing what you normally would. Improving other back exercises has not improved my deadlift one iota.

depends on how you do the deadlift. I do 5x5 deads on back day and my lower back is sore AF the next day. If you keep your legs straight during the lift then it focuses in your hamstrings i think.
Posted Image

#287 Trade Deadline

Trade Deadline

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:35 AM

Not sheriff srs.

Deadlifts are a compound movement that utilize BOTH legs and and back. Reason you're not able to do leg press/extensions the same weight after your deadlift is because you've already stressed and fatigue the muscle group.

You're telling me you can still row the same amount of weight after deadlifting?

Posted Image

#288 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:27 AM

depends on how you do the deadlift. I do 5x5 deads on back day and my lower back is sore AF the next day. If you keep your legs straight during the lift then it focuses in your hamstrings i think.

There is the straighlegged deadlinft, but I wouldn't recommend that unless you have perfect technique and great flexibility.

Even the regular deadlift will work your lower back to some extent. There's really two parts to the lift. The first involves straightening your legs while keeping your back angle fairly intact. The second involves pushing your hip forward.

The deadlift does primarily work the legs, but will also work the core and lower back. If your lower back is getting too sore though, that can be a sign you are doing the lift wrong or you don't have proper hamstring flexibility. Tight hamstrings will result in strain on the lower back as both sets of muscles pull agaist eachother while the hip bone moves.

#289 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:44 PM

I go to the gym, size up my opponents and quickly realize I'm far superior. I then proceed to crush weights in a primeval and animalistic fashion. Nobody else exists to me, except perhaps an enchanting maiden that I catch a glimpse of briefly, then it's back to slay the demon machines. When I work out I have a bad attitude. I'm not happy until the battlefield is bloodied and empty. No phone. No smiles. No laughter. Only battle. The war drums beat in my ears as my engine revs up to full capacity and I unleash my fury.

Then I take a sip of water.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#290 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,791 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:39 PM

Not sheriff srs.

Deadlifts are a compound movement that utilize BOTH legs and and back. Reason you're not able to do leg press/extensions the same weight after your deadlift is because you've already stressed and fatigue the muscle group.

You're telling me you can still row the same amount of weight after deadlifting?

Obviously they utilize both. But legs and hams are doing the overwhelming portion of the lifting. So yes I probably could do rows. I'm using those muscles far less. And I'm not even touching my biceps with DLs.
Posted Image

#291 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,791 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:41 PM

My back is fine. It's a form thing. I've kept my legs straight before while doing them solely for working hamstrings. Romanian deadlifts I think they're called.
Posted Image

#292 canucks#01fan

canucks#01fan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:39 PM

My back is fine. It's a form thing. I've kept my legs straight before while doing them solely for working hamstrings. Romanian deadlifts I think they're called.

ah yes, romanian deadlifts, i tried them once but the negative on the exercise makes my form go out of whack for some reason so i stopped
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.