The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC member Workout Routines

WHL rocks

Ice_Java, I assume you want to increase hand strength for DL's, if that's the case just reset after every rep, don't touch and go. You'll be able to do more reps, because you won't have to hold on to the bar, and by putting the weight back on the ground and lifting it again you'll really gain that explosiveness from the floor.

Mr. Wiggles, check this link out: Inner Chest Workout . My favorite for inner chest is cable crossovers, but when you do it, actually cross the cables over in front of you and squeeze your pecs (most people don't do this) do these very slowly, especially on the negative.

Ice_Java, I assume you want to increase hand strength for DL's, if that's the case just reset after every rep, don't touch and go. You'll be able to do more reps, because you won't have to hold on to the bar, and by putting the weight back on the ground and lifting it again you'll really gain that explosiveness from the floor.

Mr. Wiggles, check this link out: Inner Chest Workout . My favorite for inner chest is cable crossovers, but when you do it, actually cross the cables over in front of you and squeeze your pecs (most people don't do this) do these very slowly, especially on the negative.

Well what you want to do is kill momentum, otherwise you're taking some of the load off of the set and not getting maximum benefit. It's easier to keep the weight off the floor in my experience, but you may be different. Also about the recovering between reps, I'm not to sure about that, I doubt your body isn't going to start recovering itself 5 seconds after a rep.

What do you do if you've plateaued on bench press? That's not all I care about if that's what you're thinking, but my chest seems to be my only body part that I can't make gains in. It's been about 4 months now. Just switch up the routine maybe?

My weight had always been a roller coaster ride. I have gene's where I can lose weight easily but I can gain it back just as fast.

When I was playing AAA in Higschool (2003) I was always playing around 210-215 (I'm 6'0) but that was medium build with some baby fat. After school I went to college (2004-2005) and like they say 'freshman 15' happened...except for me it was freshman 30, I was at 248 pounds before joining the military (2006) and decided I better get in shape before basic. So that I did, I lost about 40 pounds and was roughly 208-210 pounds when BMQ started. After BMQ I was as low as 205 (I don't remember seeing the scale below 200 in recent years) Once going through all the motions then finally getting posted to Edmonton after my initial training was finished (2007) I started going downhill with ordering pizza and drinking a case of beer every night. Prior to Afghanistan (2009) I stepped on a scale, I weighed a round, heavy and disgusting 270 pounds, mind you, I was always active in sports and could hold my own when it came to competing, but slowly I felt like the fat kid in gym class where your sprint more or less feels like a waddle and you are just slower.

For my tour (2009-2010) all I did was worry about my health, by the time I got home (2010) I was down to as low as 223 pounds. I then helped start, and currently still play on, the Edmonton Garrison Army Football Club that compete's in the Alberta Football League which is Men's full contact CFL rules Football consisting of a 7 team league who are throughout Alberta. The normal thing happened where I indulged in some good north american cuisine and beers upon my arrival back in canada and over the course of 3-4 months I had gained about 20 pounds back.

January 2011 I stepped on a scale and again was 248 pounds, this was when I finally was fed up and said 'F' this, I need to make a change, not only for my health but I also wanted to compete for a certain position on my football team (I played Offensive Line and Defensive Line [interior]) And this year I wanted to be a Rush End.

Ever since then I have been eating right, with some cheats because you will go crazy if you don't, and going to the gym. I am now 212 pounds, really starting to lean out, and now start at Defensive End and got my first career sack against one of the league's top teams!

Our football league is a summer league so we have a game every Saturday except long weekends, We practice every Tuesday night and Thursday nights, I can only attend Thursdays now with my new work schedule. I go to the gym 4 mornings a week bright and early before work.

My routine is a Day 1, Day 2 routine of Lower Body and Upper Body. 95% of the workouts are compound workouts, meaning you activate a major muscle group and also smaller muscle groups. ISO workouts (which are bicep curls etc) are completely useless when you could go do chin ups and activate 3-4 more muscle groups instead of grunting like an idiot swinging the weight up and down (mostly using your back which most guys do to look stronger)

My advice, and it's not broscience, is compound workouts and plyometrics are the BEST way FOR ME to lose fat, maintain muscle (or gain depending on the weights you are using) and stay in great shape to play football and hockey.

I will be glad to help anybody out who has questions, I never went to school for personal training but I will happily pass on the stuff that I have researched and experimented with myself if anybody is looking for meal or workout guidelines.

As far as trying to build muscle, you must eat 1g of Protein per 1LB lean body mass. Losing weight, use a calorie calculator, see what your maintenance is, subtract 500 calories from that and you should lose your 1-2LB's per week. If you eat too few calories, your body will go into starvation/survival mode and start maintaining and storing everything as fat to keep your body energized. So make sure you eat 500 calories below maintenance if you want to lose weight.

That's my story! Happy Lifting!

GO ARMY!

Anyone here good/dedicated to nutrition? As one poster said, abs start in the kitchen. I would like a bit more definition and I'm guessing I have to change my eating habits. I love routine, as long as I am willing to commit to it. Anyone have any tips or could share their meal plan? Here is what the average day looks like for me:

Morning (7am to around 11am)

Coffee (first thing every day)

Cereal or oatmeal (oatmeal being the cheap instant stuff)

Bolthouse juice or some sort of fruit, usually a banana

Afternoon (around 1130- 5pm)

Snack before lunch, usually some sort of frozen food that can be microwaved and eaten quickly

Either one of: a sandwich from subway, a burrito, or leftovers from last night (a pasta or a stirfry)

About 4 Oreos or some other kind of cookie (I'm addicted to cookies, which is probably my biggest problem)

1-2 Nature Valley Granola Bars

Evening (around 630-1000)

Usually a stir fry with chicken, rice or some sort of asian noodle, vegetables, and some sort of stir fry sauce. Wil also have pastas, usually lean ground beef, tomato sauce, vegetables.

More cookies

Protein powder (taken with water during gym time)

Anyone see any improvements to be made (other than the cookies, frozen foods)? What sorts of foods would you substitute? What about specific timing of food? Cheers

Anyone here good/dedicated to nutrition? As one poster said, abs start in the kitchen. I would like a bit more definition and I'm guessing I have to change my eating habits. I love routine, as long as I am willing to commit to it. Anyone have any tips or could share their meal plan? Here is what the average day looks like for me:

Morning (7am to around 11am)

Coffee (first thing every day) Remove milk and sugar.

Cereal or oatmeal (oatmeal being the cheap instant stuff) I'm personally not a fan of oatmeal but it's great for you, if you want cereal have vector meal replacement.

Bolthouse juice or some sort of fruit, usually a banana Fruits are bad for you if you want to lose weight and get more definition as these are the calories used by your body first and we want to target the calories that have been stored already.

Afternoon (around 1130- 5pm)

Snack before lunch, usually some sort of frozen food that can be microwaved and eaten quickly Don't want this, stick to mainly whole foods, chicken breast, tuna, steak etc.

Either one of: a sandwich from subway, a burrito, or leftovers from last night (a pasta or a stirfry) Probably your best choice, again whole foods > everything else.

About 4 Oreos or some other kind of cookie (I'm addicted to cookies, which is probably my biggest problem)

1-2 Nature Valley Granola Bars Limit this to once every second day, then one every third day, to once every four, to once a week, and further if you can, gradually take these out of your diet.

Evening (around 630-1000)

Usually a stir fry with chicken, rice or some sort of asian noodle, vegetables, and some sort of stir fry sauce. Wil also have pastas, usually lean ground beef, tomato sauce, vegetables.

More cookies Same as above about cookies, and what kind of noodles? The little packages from superstore?

Protein powder (taken with water during gym time)

Anyone see any improvements to be made (other than the cookies, frozen foods)? What sorts of foods would you substitute? What about specific timing of food? Cheers

Other than that, add egg whites for breakfast, if you want, stay away from deli meats, opt for more whole foods. It will be hard but add as little sauce for your stir fry and pastas as you can, I mean go bare minimum, they're both awesome, healthy foods that can be ruined nutrition wise by amazing tasting, calorie laden sauce! Timing doesn't really matter as long as you are eating 500 calories below your maintenance level. Just don't eat everything JUST before bed :P .

You want your muscles to rest a little, pumping as fast as you can does not do, except tiring your muscles quickly.

Muscles do not stop working in between the reps, even after you leave the gym, that's the beauty of workouts.

Do you guys eat those prepared meals? They save a lot of time actually making something from scratch.

Like, I eat vh steamers for lunch occasionally. They're loaded with chicken and vegetables and white rice sometimes. They typically offer 300 calories and 20 grams of protein.

I try to avoid the noodles.

Do you guys eat those prepared meals? They save a lot of time actually making something from scratch.

Like, I eat vh steamers for lunch occasionally. They're loaded with chicken and vegetables and white rice sometimes. They typically offer 300 calories and 20 grams of protein.

I try to avoid the noodles.

My weight had always been a roller coaster ride. I have gene's where I can lose weight easily but I can gain it back just as fast.

When I was playing AAA in Higschool (2003) I was always playing around 210-215 (I'm 6'0) but that was medium build with some baby fat. After school I went to college (2004-2005) and like they say 'freshman 15' happened...except for me it was freshman 30, I was at 248 pounds before joining the military (2006) and decided I better get in shape before basic. So that I did, I lost about 40 pounds and was roughly 208-210 pounds when BMQ started. After BMQ I was as low as 205 (I don't remember seeing the scale below 200 in recent years) Once going through all the motions then finally getting posted to Edmonton after my initial training was finished (2007) I started going downhill with ordering pizza and drinking a case of beer every night. Prior to Afghanistan (2009) I stepped on a scale, I weighed a round, heavy and disgusting 270 pounds, mind you, I was always active in sports and could hold my own when it came to competing, but slowly I felt like the fat kid in gym class where your sprint more or less feels like a waddle and you are just slower.

For my tour (2009-2010) all I did was worry about my health, by the time I got home (2010) I was down to as low as 223 pounds. I then helped start, and currently still play on, the Edmonton Garrison Army Football Club that compete's in the Alberta Football League which is Men's full contact CFL rules Football consisting of a 7 team league who are throughout Alberta. The normal thing happened where I indulged in some good north american cuisine and beers upon my arrival back in canada and over the course of 3-4 months I had gained about 20 pounds back.

January 2011 I stepped on a scale and again was 248 pounds, this was when I finally was fed up and said 'F' this, I need to make a change, not only for my health but I also wanted to compete for a certain position on my football team (I played Offensive Line and Defensive Line [interior]) And this year I wanted to be a Rush End.

Ever since then I have been eating right, with some cheats because you will go crazy if you don't, and going to the gym. I am now 212 pounds, really starting to lean out, and now start at Defensive End and got my first career sack against one of the league's top teams!

Our football league is a summer league so we have a game every Saturday except long weekends, We practice every Tuesday night and Thursday nights, I can only attend Thursdays now with my new work schedule. I go to the gym 4 mornings a week bright and early before work.

My routine is a Day 1, Day 2 routine of Lower Body and Upper Body. 95% of the workouts are compound workouts, meaning you activate a major muscle group and also smaller muscle groups. ISO workouts (which are bicep curls etc) are completely useless when you could go do chin ups and activate 3-4 more muscle groups instead of grunting like an idiot swinging the weight up and down (mostly using your back which most guys do to look stronger)

My advice, and it's not broscience, is compound workouts and plyometrics are the BEST way FOR ME to lose fat, maintain muscle (or gain depending on the weights you are using) and stay in great shape to play football and hockey.

I will be glad to help anybody out who has questions, I never went to school for personal training but I will happily pass on the stuff that I have researched and experimented with myself if anybody is looking for meal or workout guidelines.

As far as trying to build muscle, you must eat 1g of Protein per 1LB lean body mass. Losing weight, use a calorie calculator, see what your maintenance is, subtract 500 calories from that and you should lose your 1-2LB's per week. If you eat too few calories, your body will go into starvation/survival mode and start maintaining and storing everything as fat to keep your body energized. So make sure you eat 500 calories below maintenance if you want to lose weight.

That's my story! Happy Lifting!

GO ARMY!

Archived