The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sergei Shirokov signs with KHL's CSKA Moscow team

WizardousSedinerie

This is exactly why you are seeing no Russians drafted anymore. If things don't go their way they just bolt back to Russia. So unless its an Ovechkin type guy, you won't see teams drafting Russians any longer.

Best of luck to Sergei.

wow bit of a surprise but because he is Russian not a surprise. Let me sum up his career. Liked the kid cause he wanted to play in the NHL and said he was going to stick it out. Had a good second year with the moose and according to Noel a strong playoff. For the upcoming season thought it would be tough to make the team but never say never. Was surprised to hear that despite his resolve to make the NHL that he was at times weak in maintaining conditioning and building strength. As said thought it would be challenging to make the nucks but thought for sure because of his pretty good AHL season and the fact the nucks are pretty deep that somewhere he would get an NHL shot. For him to go back to me is really bad timing on his part. Sounds like he was running out of money. Felt he had a shot somewhere this year and was whether it was in a nuck uni or not I would be cheering for him. disappointed he pulled the plug without one last go at it - especially when he was his most ready for the jump.

Back to the recreation league

Frack,

The guy came over here to play in the NHL.

He got 2 games in 2 years.... uh????

Showed more effort than most foreign prospects would have in the A.

Maybe deserved better. He looked good when he got his chance.

Disheartening for him.

Sergei did NOT bolt. He was chased away by our precious "coach" - and I use the term advisedly. Two games in two years is just plain idiocy! Gee, thanks a bundle, you dumb oaf, you are solely responsible for giving him no chance at all. Drink that with your morning coffee!

Sergei did NOT bolt. He was chased away by our precious "coach" - and I use the term advisedly. Two games in two years is just plain idiocy! Gee, thanks a bundle, you dumb oaf, you are solely responsible for giving him no chance at all. Drink that with your morning coffee!

i don't blame him at all AV here gave him no chance to play regularly first game up this season he looked dangerous and people have pointed out after his goal AV looked disappointed the next game he barely saw any ice time so whats the point of staying in this organization if the coach won't play you

he could of easily made the top 6 if given the chance and im sick of how AV treats rookies he has too many favorite plugs

And now he can 'duel' in Russia.

Shirokov had talent but wasn't NHL ready......if he was, there would have been GM's calling Gillis to make a deal for him.

I wish him all the best with his new team and also thank him because now we can stop having umpteen posts about how MG and AV allegedly mishandled the Grabner situation. Or the trendy ' AV plays favorites!'.....Waaaaaaaaaaaa....

Unfortunately, now we will have kazillion posts about Shirokov.

Face it guys, he didn't fit with this team (or the other NHL teams) or he would still be here.

We're trying to model the Detroit system where you let a guy develop in the minors. The only part we miss is that you slowly work the guy in and give him a chance. Our GM seems to have forgotten that part. More young talent leaving our organization that was never given a chance. sigh.

Yeah, right...AV didn't like him so he didn't play him. Uh Huh Give your heads a shake. It's all about who gives the team the best chance to win on a regular basis. He didn't. Get over it. Some guys are prospects, some are suspects. He was always a suspect.

Archived