12. small.pngNY Rangers - 3182

13. 2ef5pn7.jpgQuebec - 3166

14. small.pngTampa Bay - 3115

15. small.pngCarolina - 2903

* denotes division leaders

He's still got it... :towel:

BRODEUR RECORDS 650TH NHL VICTORY AS DEVILS TOP FLYERS

141150120-430x296.jpg

NEWARK, N.J. -- Martin Brodeur reached another milestone -- at the Philadelphia Flyers' expense.

Brodeur made 18 saves for his 650th career victory and Ilya Kovalchuk had a goal and two assists to help the New Jersey Devils beat the Flyers 4-1 on Sunday night.

"It means a lot," Brodeur said. "It means I've been winning a lot of games."

While the NHL's career victory leader took the achievement in stride, Devils captain Zach Parise marveled at the accomplishment.

"It's unreal," said Parise, who closed out the scoring with a late power-play goal. "Our goaltending has been great and Marty has been playing really well. It does seem like just yesterday he got 551. It's gone by fast."

Brodeur broke Patrick Roy's record of 551 victories in 2009.

The latest win was a vintage performance by the 39-year-old Brodeur and his younger teammates as they ended the Flyers' winning streak at five.

"We've really tightened up defensively," Brodeur said. "It's a great sign. Our penalty kill has been tremendous. Our power play has been helping us out. We've been winning in similar ways every night."

The Devils haven't allowed more than one goal in each of the last six games, going 5-1 in that stretch.

Patrik Elias and Anton Volchenkov also scored for the Devils, who have won four straight. With victory, the Devils pulled even with the fifth-place Flyers. Both teams have 85 points, although the Flyers have played one fewer game.

Sergei Bobrovsky was in goal for the Flyers as the streaking Ilya Bryzgalov got a night off after starting 11 straight games. Bryzgalov has been brilliant, posting three shutouts as the Flyers won five straight coming in. Bobrovsky saw his first action since Feb. 18. Claude Giroux scored for the Flyers.

Elias scored the only goal of the first period, tipping a return feed from David Clarkson past Bobrovsky's glove for a power-play tally with 24.4 seconds remaining.

New Jersey outshot Philadelphia 11-6 over the first 20 minutes.

The Flyers had an 8-7 shot advantage in the scoreless second period. Their best chance for the equalizer came midway through on the power play when Brodeur made a big stop on Scott Hartnell.

Philadelphia pulled even 16 seconds into the third when Giroux flicked a shot past Brodeur's blocker. The goal was set up by Jaromir Jagr, who carried the puck into the New Jersey zone and circled behind the net before sliding a pass to Giroux in the slot.

It was all New Jersey the rest of the way.

"Maybe we should have been a little more patient when we tied it," Jagr said. "We felt we had the momentum on our side."

The Flyers, completing a stretch of five games in eight nights, didn't have the zip to match the Devils the rest of the way.

"I don't think it's an excuse," said Flyers defenceman Braydon Coburn. "We've got a fit team and a lot of young guys here. There are no excuses to not have our legs under us."

Volchenkov put New Jersey back in front at 2-1 as the light-scoring defenceman joined the rush. Volchenkov converted a pass from Kovalchuk at 2:45 for his second goal of the season.

Kovalchuk put the Devils up by two with his 30th of the season at 8:08 as both teams were short a player due to penalties. Kovalchuk flipped a shot over Bobrovsky's left shoulder for his fifth goal in the last four games.

NOTES: The game kicked off a home-and-home series. The teams meet again Tuesday night in Philadelphia to close out the season series. ... RW Steve Bernier and D Matt Taormina were the Devils' scratches. The Flyers scratched defencemen Pavel Kubina, Andrej Meszaros, Kimmo Timonen and RW Jakub Voracek. ... Philadelphia's Jody Shelley tried to start a scrum, shoving New Jersey's Cam Janssen before a faceoff at 4:54 of the second. The Devils didn't bite and Shelley wound up spending 12 minutes in the penalty box with a minor for unsportsmanlike conduct and a misconduct. ... The Devils lead the season series 3-2. This was the first time the home team got the victory.

Brodeur looked just about done last year, and even early this season. He looked Brett Favre-ish when he said he wants to come back for another year. But there's no denying what he's doing in New Jersey these days.

I don't like the guy (I'm a Patrick Roy guy, always and forever), but gotta respect how he's always adapted whenever he's faced with adversity.

Brodeur looked just about done last year, and even early this season. He looked Brett Favre-ish when he said he wants to come back for another year. But there's no denying what he's doing in New Jersey these days.

I don't like the guy (I'm a Patrick Roy guy, always and forever), but gotta respect how he's always adapted whenever he's faced with adversity.

I think the Devils as a whole looked just about done last year and early this season. But they've turned it around as a group. To me, all that shows is that he's no longer able to carry the team on his back for long stretches when they're playing awful in front of him. But he shouldn't have to anyways, no goalie should, it's a team game. Brodeur can still steal a game or two and with a pedigree like his, I'd feel pretty good going into a big game with Marty between the pipes. His record speaks for itself. Patrick Roy is undoubtedly one of the best ever. Any conversation about the greatest goaltender of all time needs to have Brodeur and Roy as 1-2. The order is up to personal preference I suppose, but for me, it's Marty hands down.

I don't think he looked Favre-esque at all when he said he might come back for another year. It's a question constantly asked of players in the twilight of their careers, especially great players. Teemu Selanne and Scott Niedermayer did the same thing, and even let it drag out pretty long. I don't think Marty will let it go that long. Time will tell I suppose, but I just don't see it, given everything I know about him as a player, professional and person. (Disclaimer: I'm not claiming to know him in person :lol: but that's the impression that I get from him from interviews and from reading his book, which is pretty good by the way.)

If he still enjoys playing and can still perform at a high level, why wouldn't he come back for another year? Personally, I'd love to see him go one more season at least. 650 wins and counting...

I rank Roy ahead of Brodeur based on two things. One is his playoff clutch-ness, where he's basically been the reason they won 3 cups. Brodeur had hall of fame defensemen (possibly the best) in Stevens and Niedermayer in their prime whereas Roy didn't get Borque/Blake until much later in their careers, and were nowhere near as dominant as they were in their primes.

Also, 4 cups and 3 Conn Smythes. Nuff said.

The best goalie I have ever gotten to watch in my opinion is Dominik Hasek.

* Best career save percentage of any goalie ever.

* 6 career Vezina trophies (Brodeur and Roy combine for 7)

* 2 Hart Trophies (Only goalie to ever win two Hart trophies. Neither Brodeur or Roy have ever won the Hart)

* 1 Stanley Cup (As well as a cup run with the Sabres in 1998/99 where he basically took them to game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals single handedly to eventually lose in triple overtime after making 53 saves. The star players on this team were Mike Peca, Miroslav Satan, Alexei Zhitnik, and Jason Wooley.

* 1 Olympic Gold Medal (Named Best Goaltender of the tournament.)

* More shutouts per games played than either Roy or Brodeur

He dominated the game like no other goalie I have ever watched with his unconventional style of goaltending that relied on pure instincts and athletic ability. The fact that he made that Sabres team so competative was unbelievable and I bet if he had been given the opportunities that either Roy or Brodeur were given throughout their careers that he would have as many Stanley Cups under his belt.

The best goalie I have ever gotten to watch in my opinion is Dominik Hasek.

* Best career save percentage of any goalie ever.

* 6 career Vezina trophies (Brodeur and Roy combine for 7)

* 2 Hart Trophies (Only goalie to ever win two Hart trophies. Neither Brodeur or Roy have ever won the Hart)

* 1 Stanley Cup (As well as a cup run with the Sabres in 1998/99 where he basically took them to game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals single handedly to eventually lose in triple overtime after making 53 saves. The star players on this team were Mike Peca, Miroslav Satan, Alexei Zhitnik, and Jason Wooley.

* 1 Olympic Gold Medal (Named Best Goaltender of the tournament.)

* More shutouts per games played than either Roy or Brodeur

He dominated the game like no other goalie I have ever watched with his unconventional style of goaltending that relied on pure instincts and athletic ability. The fact that he made that Sabres team so competative was unbelievable and I bet if he had been given the opportunities that either Roy or Brodeur were given throughout their careers that he would have as many Stanley Cups under his belt.

Hey guys, I'm thinking about doing another Minor League Report Card like I did last year and I wanted to get any feedback y'all might have.

Last time I only included players on the minor league roster and had a bit of a backlash which was fair enough so I am thinking of doing a more holistic one this go around. I was going to model it after a HF type format of top 10 prospects in the organization. I could do it in installments, divisionally, or as a gigantic wall of text. Thoughts?

/ Roy. Based on my levels of frustration when the Nucks played him. He was the best goaltender of a generation at a time when scoring was so much higher. He'd beat most other goalies by a full 1.0 GAA

Hasek had the best half decade of a goalie ever. He was unbeatable and it was over before it started. Greg Maddux like.

Marty doesn't wow you. He just goes out and wins. Period. So calm, so steady. Unflappable. I'd say there are reasons that Schneids gets compared to him. He literally saved that franchise.

Can't lose with any of those picks.

Hey guys, I'm thinking about doing another Minor League Report Card like I did last year and I wanted to get any feedback y'all might have.

Last time I only included players on the minor league roster and had a bit of a backlash which was fair enough so I am thinking of doing a more holistic one this go around. I was going to model it after a HF type format of top 10 prospects in the organization. I could do it in installments, divisionally, or as a gigantic wall of text. Thoughts?

/ Roy. Based on my levels of frustration when the Nucks played him. He was the best goaltender of a generation at a time when scoring was so much higher. He'd beat most other goalies by a full 1.0 GAS

Hasek had the best half decade of a goalie ever. He was unbeatable and it was over before it started. Greg Maddux like.

Marty doesn't wow you. He just goes out and wins. Period. So calm, so steady. Unflappable. I'd say there are reasons that Schneids gets compared to him. He literally saved that franchise.

/ Roy. Based on my levels of frustration when the Nucks played him. He was the best goaltender of a generation at a time when scoring was so much higher. He'd beat most other goalies by a full 1.0 GAA

I like that idea of including all prospects in the organization, as I have some currently called up, and Jurco unsigned.

A cool idea could be to do a general ranking with maybe the top 5 prospects in the organization to start, and then divisional in depth ones later on. If you want, we could provide our own organizational rankings or a small blurb on some of our prospects to help lighten the load?

Archived