The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2011-12 Season

canuck2xtreme

Fully functional prototype for new charts done!

A few of the changes:

• Charts going from 5 pages to 3.

• Depth chart style format to track your roster easily

• Some inefficiencies eliminated and streamlined

• Minors salaries will be pro-rated!

• All vital information on one page for easy viewing

So disappointed that the Jets, and to a lesser extent the Flames, are out of the race. Now lets see if our version of the Flames has any more luck than the real version.

Which leads me to my question, as I'd like to increase the activity in here and have some fun.

The Calgary Flames are a mess. Jarome Iginla is being wasted, Miikka Kiprusoff must be exhausted by now, again, and there seems to be little to be excited about for the future as it currently stands. Baertschi (sp?) showed promise while he was up, but that's about it. The guys running the show in Calgary seem either unwilling or unable to make the changes necessary to turn the Calgary Flames back into a respectable team.

If you could run the real life Calgary Flames, how would you fix them?

Glencross is a VERY good 2nd/3rd liner, though he could fetch a nice return so I guess there is the option of moving him, I don't know if the Flames management ATM is forward thinking enough to rebuild the right way, so I'd be surprised to see them around for much longer, but we shall see.

Glencross is a VERY good 2nd/3rd liner, though he could fetch a nice return so I guess there is the option of moving him, I don't know if the Flames management ATM is forward thinking enough to rebuild the right way, so I'd be surprised to see them around for much longer, but we shall see.

Problem with Calgary if you ask me is the mindset that 'if you make the playoffs, anything can happen'. If I'm serious about winning, that's not good enough. If you win the Cup after squeaking in as a #7 or #8 seed, nobody is complaining. But more often or not, you're cannon fodder for a team that actually has a shot at going deep. I would owe my fan base more than that.

Reading through parts of the Calgary Flames thread in General Discussion throughout the year, and it's laughable what some of the Flames fans in there believe. Some of them are reasonable, but there's a couple of very vocal clowns in there who believe, among other things, that Calgary, and I quote, "is one of the few teams that gets good value with their contracts."

:blink:

:lol:

But I digress...

Part of the problem is the brutal contracts that the team is saddled with. Fortunately for Calgary, there's some light at the end of that tunnel as some of the contracts hurting them expire in the next few years. Matt Stajan has been a disappointment considering what he was projected to become, but at $3.5 million per year AND a NTC?? He needs to go, be it bought out or buried in the minors. He's eating up cap space and you could get a serviceable 4th line center (and that's what Stajan is, really) for much less. Even with the buyout hit, you free up space for the team.

Jay Bouwmeester... good grief. $6.8 million? Really? I was thrilled when the Canucks didn't get him. He's such a casual player, and I had a feeling his offensive game wasn't going to translate over to the much tougher, more physical Western Conference. It didn't. Not only has his offensive game been a disappointment, he's not exactly tough in the corners and defensively he's more often than not a liability. He's not 'awful' defensively per se, but I'd say Christian Ehrhoff is a decent comparable. Not terrible, but prone to some pretty glaring errors. He's making probably double what he should be. If you can move him, do it. Stockpile draft picks, prospects, servicable 3-4 defencemen in the trade, whatever you can. Your return here is for the future in the draft picks and/or prospects, and the cap space you gain in dropping that albatross of a contract.

Sven Baertschi needs to be on the team next year. He's shown some skill and finish at the NHL level. Calgary not only needs a player like that, but the fan base needs to see one of their young prospects making an impact in the NHL. Mikael Backlund needs more time. He can be a top 6 player eventually, but he can't carry a team and that's what was thrust upon him when they wanted him to be the guy to finally complete Iginla's line. He's an NHL player, but he needs a little bit of a lesser role.

Glencross stays. He's one of the few guys that competes hard every night and even though he's not the most skilled, he's an important player for Calgary. Iginla has to go. The guy deserves a shot at winning a Cup, and the return he would probably bring at the deadline to a team looking for a top 6 winger would definitely kick-start the rebuild. Hang on to Kiprusoff for the time being. A strong goaltender will help the team get their legs under them. However, Kipper is getting up there and seems burned out at the end of each year (pardon the pun). I'd spell him off with Irving next year, splitting games much the way Luongo and Schneider do here. How Irving fares over that year and maybe the next determines if you move Kipper.

Believe it or not, I'd hang onto Jokinen. He's been one of the few bright spots this season, probably Calgary's most consistent player and has shown a solid two way game. Keeping him along with Tanguay and Cammalleri gives you a decent line to try and compete and some leadership to bring the younger players along. Comeau was a fantastic pickup (I hate to say I told you so :P ) and they got him for nothing. Stempniak is solid, could hold onto him and see how it goes, but a possible trade chip at the deadline to further the youth movement. Same goes for Jackman.

Calgary needs to get their scouts going into US colleges and start signing some of those free agent kids that can step onto a team and make an impact. Not expecting them to be world beaters, but they need to do something to augment their prospect pool, and this is a good way to do it.

There doesn't appear to be a quick fix scenario for Calgary unless a number of guys step up in a big way next year. I don't really see it. Calgary needs to accept that they're going to have to take a step back before they can take two or three steps forward. The fans already have. It appears that management is resisting.

I keep Jay Feaster around. The guy hasn't been on the job long, and I think you need to hand him the rebuild mandate and see what he does with it first. I would let Sutter go, and Ken King would be on a short leash as well. I'd have to have a discussion with him to see if he sticks around, but my initial feeling is it wouldn't look good for him.

what does this exactly means?

Same as salaries on your active roster. For example, the way the system is currently set up, the team that ends up with Matt Carkner after waivers will have to be able to handle the full $1 million salary if he's assigned to the minors, because our minors systems aren't pro-rated. This was because the charts weren't coded for it and I wasn't sure how to do that without making it a huge hassle.

But after working on it last night while coding the new chart, I managed to get it working quite smoothly. So, same scenario next year, with 5 days left in the season, the team getting Matt Carkner would only have to have room for what was left to be paid of his salary. Which, if the season is 185 days long like this season was, would be just over $27,000.

Same as salaries on your active roster. For example, the way the system is currently set up, the team that ends up with Matt Carkner after waivers will have to be able to handle the full $1 million salary if he's assigned to the minors, because our minors systems aren't pro-rated. This was because the charts weren't coded for it and I wasn't sure how to do that without making it a huge hassle.

But after working on it last night while coding the new chart, I managed to get it working quite smoothly. So, same scenario next year, with 5 days left in the season, the team getting Matt Carkner would only have to have room for what was left to be paid of his salary. Which, if the season is 185 days long like this season was, would be just over $27,000.

Isn't Feaster the one responsible for 10 NTC's and NMC's? That is unacceptable for me, and losing hagman but still paying 1.5million for him? also unnecessary costs. if your stuck paying half, then add on his replacements salary, you may as well see out the year with him. Not sure why the rush to lose him other than a panic.

8games, 4 points and plus 3 is on pace for what? 35 points? somewhere in there...so why flush him, and then fail to make the post season...sometimes you have to eat it, when you make a doodoo.

Isn't Feaster the one responsible for 10 NTC's and NMC's? That is unacceptable for me, and losing hagman but still paying 1.5million for him? also unnecessary costs. if your stuck paying half, then add on his replacements salary, you may as well see out the year with him. Not sure why the rush to lose him other than a panic.

8games, 4 points and plus 3 is on pace for what? 35 points? somewhere in there...so why flush him, and then fail to make the post season...sometimes you have to eat it, when you make a doodoo.

Capitals' Foligno named Rookie of the month

marcusfoligno.jpg

Marcus Foligno didn't start March with the Washington Capitals, but after the performance he had this month, it's hard to envision him going any place else any time soon.

Foligno, was acquired as part of the Alexander Semin trade from Edmonton on the trade deadline. Since earning his callup from the Dover Dobermans of the American Hockey League on March 10, Foligno has scored 11 points and a plus-10 rating in 11 games to earn the NHL's Rookie of the Month award for March.

Foligno has excelled at left wing on a line centered by Jacob Josefson and with Jordin Tootoo on the right side to help carry the Capitals offensively for much of the last month.

Archived