The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2011-12 Season

canuck2xtreme

Signing: The Philadelphia Flyers have re-signed UFA F Ales Hemsky to a four-year contract.

Ales Hemsky - 4-year deal worth $19.2 million ($4.8m per season).

*The deal includes a Full NTC for the first two years, while the final two years do not contain any movement clauses.

RANT

Hello everyone,I would like to thank you for reading my rant.

When I won the draft lottery a month ago I was excited. I thought I could get some great assets in trade return or at the worst draft a star in nail yakupov. But it seems I am the only GM that thinks he is a star.

GM's are saying:"I am not trading 'him' for a unproven prospect'

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!

A unproven prospect.....here is a list of all the 1st and 2nd overall picks this past decade

Ryan nugent hopkins

gabriel landeskog

taylor hall

tyler seguin

john tavares

victor hedman

steven stamkos

drew doughty

patrick kane

james van riemsdyk

erik johnson

jordan staal

sidney crosby

bobby ryan

alex ovechkin

evgeni malkin

marc andre fleury

eric staal

rick nash

kari lehtonen

So basically every single top 2 pick in the last ten years has or will be a star except erik johnson.

That puts the success rate at a whooping 95%.

So if you have a top 2 pick in the NHL entry draft you have a 95% chance of drafting a star and you guys are calling nail yakupov a unproven prospect.

The trade negotiations I have had have have been horrible. I have had a couple good trade talks with people about my 1st overall pick but most if them have been horrible.

Most offers have been insulting, here are some examples

-a 3rd line winger for nail yakupov

-a 1st round pick and some decent prospects for nail yakupov

-two 40 point scorers for nail yakupov

There are a couple more too.

I have had only one great offer,that offer was a top 6 forward,a number one defensemen and a 1st round pick for nail yakupov and a prospect.

But then I asked to have his number 2 centre instead of the top 6 forward.

Then he calle me a nut and stormed off.

Other examples are people saying

'I am not paying much for your 1st because you said you dont like yakupov'

SO WHAT?

I am nit the biggest fan of the guy,but he is still a star and I would still draft him.

THIS IS FANTASY HOCKEY,NOT REAL LIFE!

It does not matter if Im not a big fan of a guy,I am still going to get him,I don't like a couple of great players,does that mean I wouldn't want him on my team?

I WOULD STILL WANT HIM,ALL I CARE ABOUT IS IF THEY GET ME POINTS!

So my asking price for my 1st overall is high,at least

-a top 6 forward{rather a center}

-a top 4 defensemen or another top 6 forward

-a 1st round pick

I am sick and tired of getting disrespected and getting no where in trade talks that is why I am righting this rant.

I made sure I didn't break any rules by tampering,saying other gms names,players names,etc.

So please don't fire me because of this rant,I needed to get this off my chest.

END RANT

Actually a good rant. Your point has some merit, but the counterpoint does to: namely, if i am trading a current top six player for just Nail Yakupov, who may very well, your right, turn out to be a top six player what have I really gained in the trade? Where is the incentive for me to trade my current top six and likely power play forward for a guy who may not get a single CDCGML point until the year after next? He may well, as you say, be a star and be in the NHL right away, but then, so is my top six current player.

So I respect your rant, but also the counter argument that One, or in this case two or three in the hand is NOT always worth one in the bush.

as sort of an arbitration, I would say a top six forward and the other guys first round pick or a top four dman and the other guys first round pick, unless both the forward and dman are kind of borderline top six/four guys..then both players and the other gm's first round pick. OR a top six forward and a top four dee for your first, without the other gm's first..but now i am splitting hairs.

Good rant, expectations only lead to disappointments though.

I had a feeling it was going to be something like that.... :picard:

If you think you're the only one that has been lowballed in trade talks, think again. Why, just the other day I had someone offer me a pending UFA player and a 2nd round pick for Cody Hodgson and Cory Schneider. For the record, I wouldn't trade either one of those guys for said pending UFA player even if he was signed.

TIPS

- if you don't like the offer, say so.

- provide counter offers. They don't have to be firm counters, but it can guide talks in the direction you'd prefer them to go.

- if you are looking for something or someone specific, say so.

- always be prepared to walk away.

- professionalism and courtesy go a long way.

- be willing to agree to a fair deal. A lot of GMs won't take a trade if they don't win it by a mile. Not every trade is a grand slam. A few singles and doubles are just fine if they address the needs you have.

- just because Yakupov is the consensus #1 pick in the NHL draft does not mean you must take him. Is there another guy in the top 3 or 4 that you'd like? There's nothing wrong with picking someone not named Yakupov.

- outline what you want and be prepared to immediately turn away teams that don't have the assets you want. When you finally got to this part in your rant:

So my asking price for my 1st overall is high,at least

-a top 6 forward{rather a center}

-a top 4 defensemen or another top 6 forward

-a 1st round pick

you FINALLY gave teams a guideline in which to work. Without providing that guideline, you have to expect that teams will try to get the most for the least.

Finally, my last tip: Be absolutely 100% prepared to turn down ALL trade offers and make the selection. If Yakupov does turn into a star quickly, his value only goes up, and so too will the premium some teams may be willing to pay to get him. In your teams position, your season next year will not be made or broken with this move or non-move. It is but another piece to the puzzle.

Patience is a virtue.

I see what you mean about Erik Johnson too, but it is worth saying, he is only 24, was rushed into the NHL, and still with twice being injured this year and missing games he got 221 points in our league. Bieksa had a bad third year too didn't he? weird. Anyways, I see a long term potential in E. J. that has nothing to do with our game, sorry if you think I am tampering, whoever owns him...I think he could be decent right up to 14 years from now. What was I doing at his age? My wife would say "you were loaded, now shut up and log off"

Archived