The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2011-12 Season

canuck2xtreme

Mike Green is back to skating regularly before practice, but his return to the Washington Capitals from a groin injury remains a mystery.

Green was on the ice before the Capitals' practice Wednesday morning, just as he was Monday morning before coach Dale Hunter's first workout with the club.

The All-Star defenseman hasn't played since getting hit in the corner during a game Nov. 11 at New Jersey.

"Right now I'm just able to get out there and skate a little bit," Green said. "I'm not exerting myself too hard yet, but I'm progressing better each day and that's all that matters."

"It's a new chapter now, but obviously he was a great coach. Unfortunately we weren't responding here in the last couple months. I think it was a necessary thing, but we're definitely happy to have Dale here. He seems like an honest guy, a strict guy. That seems to be maybe what we need for guys to respond properly." -- Mike Green, on Bruce Boudreau's firing That game against the Devils was Green's first back after missing three weeks with a twisted right ankle. Former Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau said that night in Newark, N.J., that Green's latest injury was a "day-to-day thing, not a three-week, day-to-day thing," but he was less optimistic about Green's prognosis the next morning.

The Capitals are 8-0-0 this season when Green plays, and 4-10-1 when he doesn't.

"I'd like to be back tomorrow, but that's not going to happen," Green said. "Like George (McPhee, Capitals GM) said, it is just kind of a day-to-day thing -- no set time schedule. It is just me getting back into shape and making sure that I'm 100-percent healthy, if not 90 percent at least.

"I've been out there skating and obviously starting and stopping, but as far as game shape and being explosive, I still have some strengthening to do. Who knows how long that is going to take."

Green said he has not spoken to Boudreau since he was dismissed Monday. Of all the players Boudreau helped blossom with the Capitals, Green's career flourished the most.

The defenseman was considered a solid prospect, but not an elite one before Boudreau arrived. He had six goals and nine assists in 104 NHL games with Glen Hanlon as Capitals coach, but he scored the first goal of Boudreau's tenure 2:27 into the new coach's first game and became the top offensive defenseman in hockey.

The Habs are very pleased with the effort they have seen from their players this evening.

Zdeno Chara (15 points), Pavel Datsyuk (7 points), Jakub Kindl (7 points) and Joe Colborne (2 points) have all put points on the board so far, and with Niklas Backstrom in net and Milan Hejuk (with a goal already), David Jones, Ben Maxwell and Matt Cullen still playing tonight there is potential here for a big evening.

Horton: 2 A, +2 = 10 points

Campbell: 1 A = 3 points

Clarkson: 5 PIMs = 5 points

Johnson: PPA, 2 PIMs = 6 points

Smid: 2 PIMs = 2 points

Petry, Clutterbuck with 0s and Giggy didn't play.

And a guy i acquired in a trade last week.. just not announced

Dman = 2 points, +2, 2 PIMs = 16 points

/42. not bad for 9 players.

Luca Sbisa - +1 = 2pts

Clarke MacArthur - 1PPA, 2PIM = 6pts

Benoit Pouliot - GWG, +1 = 7pts

Teddy Purcell - 1PPA = 4pts

Steven Stamkos - 1G, 2PIM = 5pts

Darcy Hordichuk - 5PIM = 5pts

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins = 1G, 1PPA, +1 = 9pts

Semyon Varlamov - Win = 10pts

Total = 48 points.

A good showing tonight by the team.

The Lightning can easily say they are disappointed with their team's performance so far this season. With over a quarter of the season behind us, we are off to a very slow start much like last season.

The core of the team was shaken up significantly recently with Kyle Okposo and Jack Hillen heading out to Florida and Burns, Cole, and Clifford heading back to Vancouver. On the way back, the Lightning have brought in one of the leagues budding young players in John Tavares, and a solid defenseman in Andrej Meszaros, both expected to be in part of the team's plans for the future.

As soon as the re-signing window opens, it is expected that re-signing John Tavares and Matt Carle will be the top priority. We will also be watching some of our prospects closely to see who is close to making the jump to our club, including the likes of Nick Petrecki, Ty Wishart, Dan Sexton, and Riley Nash. We will also be eying Jack Campbell and his effort to make a third consecutive World Juniors bid for the US and Freddie Hamilton attempt to make Team Canada with his brother.

We would also like to make some changes in terms of our Captaincy at this time. Rather than have Mike Fisher wearing the "C", we will have a rotational system each month starting with Fisher. The rotation will include Mike Fisher, Patrick Marleau, and John Tavares and will attempt to change the culture of our locker room. We will also try to balance our lines right now to try and spark some of our struggling players. Here is our current lineup:

Moulson - Tavares - Brown

Avery - Marleau - O'Reilly

Park - Fisher - Nokelainen

Ebbett - Desjardins - McGrattan

Brule

Carle - Meszaros

Peckham - Sutton

Murray - Stoner

Commodore

Price

Labarbera

We would also like to urge the real life Coyotes to start Labarbera more and for the Oilers to call up Brule =)

Kyle Brodziak with a stellar night, ties the game sending it through ot into a shoot out, and then caps the night with a sixth round shoot out game winning goal....

which leads to the latest installment of 'questions from a newb'...does he get credit for a game winning goal, since his shoot out goal ended the game, winning it for the wild?

I am going to say 'no' but only because I am batting zero on the results of my questions vs what would work well for my team...lol.

p.s.: roughly 20 points on the night with six players on the ice...i will take it.

Kyle Brodziak with a stellar night, ties the game sending it through ot into a shoot out, and then caps the night with a sixth round shoot out game winning goal....

which leads to the latest installment of 'questions from a newb'...does he get credit for a game winning goal, since his shoot out goal ended the game, winning it for the wild?

I am going to say 'no' but only because I am batting zero on the results of my questions vs what would work well for my team...lol.

p.s.: roughly 20 points on the night with six players on the ice...i will take it.

I am not sure what is going on in Anaheim, its creepy..they should be better than this.

Getzlaf with only 4 goals at the quarter pike? on pace for 15 dang!two games ago he had 13 points in total, way way below his normal pace. Makes me happy that I traded him, but we all know this is temporary, he will come back, so Ottawa need not worry, lol.

Odd, Getzlaf, and Iginla too is way down in his pace this year. On pace for less than half his normal production. Yikes.

Hope this isn't a trend with team leaders.

EDIT: Ovechkin too..on pace for his worst year since joining the NHL, including his rookie year, and Gionta in Montreal, well his captaincy is either a complete mistake or he is a place holder while they figure out who should be the leader...Gionta is on par for his worst season since the lock out.

Washington, Montreal, Calgary and Anaheim: four teams that I thought would be much better this close to the 1/3 way marker.

In fact, I would not be surprised if either the ducks or the canadiens head coaches were not fired soon.

Jaques Martin is hovering at the 56% win mark with ottawa since 2009 and far worse than 50% in playoff games..and it might be time to pack him in as this year even those numbers are about to take a nose dive.

In Anaheim, Randy Carlyle is past his best before date to say the least.

Archived