The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2011-12 Season

canuck2xtreme

REPORT: Surprised at all the free agent offers, Jonathan Blum has been carefully looking over all his options. Sources close to the veteran of 23 NHL games experience claim that the 22 year old wants to avoid the pressure of a big contract so early in his career and is instead looking for the best situation regarding playing time.

I'd probably be more realistic.

I don't think Flieschmann, Jovanovski, Upshall and Kopecky signed ridiculously overpriced contracts in Florida because the organization was the "best fit" for them. Unless they like how their bathing suit fits in January. :lol:

There are plenty of examples where players have taken a discount to stay with their home team, or the club they've been with for a long time, or to join a contending team....etc.

Your may have some validity for specific players and signings....but it's certainly not nearly as much as the case as you're making it out to be.

At the end of the day, the thought going into each player isn't simply money....nor should it be.

REPORT: Surprised at all the free agent offers, Jonathan Blum has been carefully looking over all his options. Sources close to the veteran of 23 NHL games experience claim that the 22 year old wants to avoid the pressure of a big contract so early in his career and is instead looking for the best situation regarding playing time.

would be nice if we had a bit more talk from player agents like this... maybe it's just me, because I have a crap bag team that no one wants to play for, but I've gotten no responses from the UFAs I offered contracts to about whether they may or may not be interested, whether its just a matter of money, playing time or term length of the contract..

obviously I realize that there are 30 teams and it would be tough to do that kind of thing with 100 UFAs being offered contracts from multiple teams, but especially as a newer GM I feel it would have been very helpful in the off season to have posts like that for some of the bigger free agents... "For example, "Tanguay has received many offers lately, and is no thinking about signing a longer term contract for security reasons"

Archived