The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2011-12 Season

canuck2xtreme

Huh. The Habs had 32 points last night, and all of them came from defenders.

Mark Streit had 5, Braydon Coburn had 13, Jakub Kindl had 9 and Marco Scandella had 5.

We may have missed the playoffs (again), but going forward we are quite pleased with the group we've assembled on the blue-line.

Capitals' Foligno named Rookie of the month

marcusfoligno.jpg

Marcus Foligno didn't start March with the Washington Capitals, but after the performance he had this month, it's hard to envision him going any place else any time soon.

Foligno, was acquired as part of the Alexander Semin trade from Edmonton on the trade deadline. Since earning his callup from the Dover Dobermans of the American Hockey League on March 10, Foligno has scored 11 points and a plus-10 rating in 11 games to earn the NHL's Rookie of the Month award for March.

Foligno has excelled at left wing on a line centered by Jacob Josefson and with Jordin Tootoo on the right side to help carry the Capitals offensively for much of the last month.

Not sure if this it too late......but,

New Jersey Devils Award Nominations:

Hart Trophy - Alex Ovechkin

Ted Lindsay Trophy - Alex Ovechkin

Lady Byng Trophy - Anze Kopitar

Calder Trophy - Carl Hagelin

Norris Trophy - Niklas Kronwall

Bill Masterton Trophy - Steve Sullivan

King Clancy Trophy - Brooks Laich

With this combined with the loss of the division to the Jets... Well, lets say that Edmontons GM is feeling the sting of these recent events.

Still 5 nights left to go in the season and I'm only 68 points ahead. Not insurmountable by any means.

With that said, no matter which of us wins the division, I'd like to offer my congratulations to a worthy adversary. After a rocky start in this league last season, you've made the most of your second chance and shown a lot of maturity and growth over the past year. You've done a great job with your team and to be perfectly honest, I wasn't expecting this sort of dogfight down the stretch for the division lead.

I'm a little late to the Flames-bashing party, but they have somewhat of a vicious cycle. The flaw in PO's idea of "if we're paying them, play them" idea with guys like Stajan is that with so many NTCs/NMCs for unproductive players, they haven't been able to give guys like Backlund the appropriate ice-time to develop. If I was their owner and I had given them the money to throw around like that, I'd be willing to bit the bullet and bury some contracts in the minors rather than buy them out.

I think a full blow-up is necessary, there's no other way. The Flames aren't an "it" destination for free agents so they have to develop from within. They need to start trading whoever they can for some young guys/prospects and properly develop them in the minors (something they have yet to do).

I think it was Curt that asked if the Flames/Oilers were better of, and I think most people said the Oilers. If anything, they should tackle the off-season the way the Jets do (as a smaller market, can't get the big fish, so must make smart value-oriented moves without overpaying). They gotta be patient and draft, it's the only way.

I'm a little late to the Flames-bashing party, but they have somewhat of a vicious cycle. The flaw in PO's idea of "if we're paying them, play them" idea with guys like Stajan is that with so many NTCs/NMCs for unproductive players, they haven't been able to give guys like Backlund the appropriate ice-time to develop. If I was their owner and I had given them the money to throw around like that, I'd be willing to bit the bullet and bury some contracts in the minors rather than buy them out.

I think a full blow-up is necessary, there's no other way. The Flames aren't an "it" destination for free agents so they have to develop from within. They need to start trading whoever they can for some young guys/prospects and properly develop them in the minors (something they have yet to do).

I think it was Curt that asked if the Flames/Oilers were better of, and I think most people said the Oilers. If anything, they should tackle the off-season the way the Jets do (as a smaller market, can't get the big fish, so must make smart value-oriented moves without overpaying). They gotta be patient and draft, it's the only way.

Archived