The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Alain Vigneault doesn’t stand a chance in 2011/12

Slegr

Coming off his most successful season as a head coach, Alain Vigneault probably isn’t expecting to be fired any time soon. But as reality sets in this fall, watch for the Canucks coach to get terminated as early as November.

Why are the odds stacked against a man who brought the Canucks to within one game of the ultimate prize, not to mention the club’s first ever President’s Trophy? He will soon become a victim of his own success:

• The Canucks traditionally have slow starts to the season. After last spring’s post season, there will be high expectations and low amounts of patience should the Canucks come out of the gates in their normal 0.500 fashion

• Teams will be paying special attention to the Canucks, given the team’s regular and post-season track records last year

By about the 20-game mark, in this hockey-crazed market, if the Canucks aren’t within the top eight seeds in their conference, Alain Vigneault will become extremely expendable by fans, media, and management.

While he has broken countless coaching records in his tenure with the club since his debut in 2006/07, Alain has also had his moments of controversy, that, when compiled over six years, gives more incentive to bring fresh perspectives behind the bench.

Reasons Alain’s departure will appeal to fans, media and management:

Rocky relationships: While Alain’s personality has blended in a complimentary fashion with several Canucks, he has also created tension among a select few who would benefit under a new head coach. In particular, Keith Ballard, who has the potential to be a cornerstone of the Canucks’ defence, has yet to have the confidence instilled in him by his head coach. Cody Hodgson is another potential franchise player who has been used so sparingly when called up that he no doubt questions the coach’s confidence in his abilities.

New approaches: We’ve seen several Canucks blossom into stars during Vigneault’s term, in large part to how he has afforded them opportunities to grow. But some may say he has also stifled key players in the particular roles he lays out for them. For instance, if the referees call a one-sided game against the Canucks, the Sedins ride the pine for too long. A new coach would mean a new approach using existing players.

Addressing overprized favourites: Aaron Rome. Do I really need to say more on that?

The Linden factor: While he would never admit it, Trevor Linden is not interested in having a role with the Canucks organization while Alain Vigneault is associated with the club. Trevor will speak highly of Alain when asked about his coaching abilities, but resentment persists in Trevor towards a coach who refused to play him for any length of time, despite his proven worth and continued ability to play a strong role on the team. Below the surface of his class and dignity, his dissatisfaction with the coach ultimately led him to retire two seasons before he wanted to – and he only announced his retirement once he was sure Alain wasn’t being fired, in June, 2008, well after the Canucks finished their season, a season that saw Trevor as a healthy scratch for 24 games. If Alain is terminated, it opens up new windows of opportunity in having Trevor Linden a member of the organization, in some capacity.

My prediction: look for Alain Vigneault’s departure by the last week of November. Not that I didn’t think he did a great job in many aspects, but I have a feeling his end with the Canucks is much closer than most think.

Thoughts?

It will be interesting. I think he's had plenty of chances. He'll be on a very short leash, especially if MacT takes over for the Wolves. I wonder how much slack AV will be given if a few players are still out with injuries for the beginning of the season. I think MG has shown a lot of faith in him, but he's still running out of chances. I mean, our team is good enough that we're going to do well in the regular season no matter who is coaching the team. I'm more concerned about him not being able to really rally the team in the playoffs. FFS we were up 3-0 against the Hawks and we almost lost. We were up 2-0 against the Bruins and we blew it. AV needs to take some of the blame.

Every year no matter how good we do or how far we make it in the playoffs, everyone screams for AV's head. Give it a rest people! Whether you like it or not, face the facts... Vigneault is one of the best/ if not THE best coach we've ever had. He is not going to get fired any time soon unless we go the first half of the season without any wins at all.

I for one will look forward to AV getting fired. After 6 seasons, I tire of him and the decisions he makes. I will be excited once the Canucks gain a new voice and different perspective.

I also won't mind a coach who isn't afraid to show his emotion towards the media. Ie when the team is playing poorly, he can talk about it.

By about the 20-game mark, in this hockey-crazed market, if the Canucks aren't within the top eight seeds in their conference, Alain Vigneault will become extremely expendable by fans, media, and management.

Keith Ballard a cornerstone of the Canucks defense? I'm afraid AV is already doomed if you have that high of an expectation for Ballard.

Linden/AV tension? Blah blah blah.

Rome? The Canucks were playing tight defensive hockey in both the Nashville and Boston series and Rome is a guy who isn't flashy, but always makes the safe play. Ballard on the other hand has been prone to mental mistakes in countless occasions. When playing in defensive hockey games one mistake could mean losing a 1-0 hockey game.

AV will be the coach of this team for a while. Get used to it.

almost all you said above is true, except the fact that he'll be fired

our management is soft and relenting, and although i think we could do better under a new coach that may allow certain players more room to breathe, he won't be fired unless there is a complete meltdown (long losing streak similar to washington's last year)

I agree with much of this comment about AV being on a short leash in terms of he should be on a short leash but I doubt he is with MG unfortunately. Time will tell. As for the Linden situation it is 100% accurate! Same for Hodgson. Same for Ballard. Same for Rome. Same for Sedins spending too much time on the bench due to no penalty killing. AV is even keeled, and a good coach...not a great coach. His teams are often wound so tight they can't breathe, and clutch their sticks ridiculously tight. That's his trademark as a coach...every team he's coached has displayed that and unfortunately coaching(and injuries) were the Canucks nemesis in the playoffs. The players almost overcame his poor coaching but when injuries piled up they simply ran out of gas and he couldn't help them at all. He was badly "out media manipulated" by Julien,and by Quenneville too. He was great when the series were 0-0 but failed miserably in coaching and preparation for when they had a lead. He had no answers or counterattacks to deal with other teams coaching. A new, winning, coach is needed to get them over the hump...but who? If none are available...AV will stay, and the Canucks will gradually recede from their lofty year to middle of the pack.

How long did it take you to come up with all this?

AV isn't going to get fired unless the Canucks don't make the playoffs.

The play-style that he brought has helped a lot of our stars become greater stars.

Bringing in a new coach would be a new play-style for the players to adapt to and that would take some time.

How do you know that if we do get a new coach that he won't have a play style that would cause the sedins and Kesler to drop in rate of production?

This thread is clearly pointless and only points out the minor negative in AV.

'IF' AV gets fired, it will be at the end of the season if the Canucks fail to make a playoff spot( impossible since our division is a sure-win).

Coming off his most successful season as a head coach, Alain Vigneault probably isn't expecting to be fired any time soon. But as reality sets in this fall, watch for the Canucks coach to get terminated as early as November.

Why are the odds stacked against a man who brought the Canucks to within one game of the ultimate prize, not to mention the club's first ever President's Trophy? He will soon become a victim of his own success:

• The Canucks traditionally have slow starts to the season. After last spring's post season, there will be high expectations and low amounts of patience should the Canucks come out of the gates in their normal 0.500 fashion

• Teams will be paying special attention to the Canucks, given the team's regular and post-season track records last year

By about the 20-game mark, in this hockey-crazed market, if the Canucks aren't within the top eight seeds in their conference, Alain Vigneault will become extremely expendable by fans, media, and management.

While he has broken countless coaching records in his tenure with the club since his debut in 2006/07, Alain has also had his moments of controversy, that, when compiled over six years, gives more incentive to bring fresh perspectives behind the bench.

Reasons Alain's departure will appeal to fans, media and management:

Rocky relationships: While Alain's personality has blended in a complimentary fashion with several Canucks, he has also created tension among a select few who would benefit under a new head coach. In particular, Keith Ballard, who has the potential to be a cornerstone of the Canucks' defence, has yet to have the confidence instilled in him by his head coach. Cody Hodgson is another potential franchise player who has been used so sparingly when called up that he no doubt questions the coach's confidence in his abilities.

New approaches: We've seen several Canucks blossom into stars during Vigneault's term, in large part to how he has afforded them opportunities to grow. But some may say he has also stifled key players in the particular roles he lays out for them. For instance, if the referees call a one-sided game against the Canucks, the Sedins ride the pine for too long. A new coach would mean a new approach using existing players.

Addressing overprized favourites: Aaron Rome. Do I really need to say more on that?

The Linden factor: While he would never admit it, Trevor Linden is not interested in having a role with the Canucks organization while Alain Vigneault is associated with the club. Trevor will speak highly of Alain when asked about his coaching abilities, but resentment persists in Trevor towards a coach who refused to play him for any length of time, despite his proven worth and continued ability to play a strong role on the team. Below the surface of his class and dignity, his dissatisfaction with the coach ultimately led him to retire two seasons before he wanted to – and he only announced his retirement once he was sure Alain wasn't being fired, in June, 2008, well after the Canucks finished their season, a season that saw Trevor as a healthy scratch for 24 games. If Alain is terminated, it opens up new windows of opportunity in having Trevor Linden a member of the organization, in some capacity.

My prediction: look for Alain Vigneault's departure by the last week of November. Not that I didn't think he did a great job in many aspects, but I have a feeling his end with the Canucks is much closer than most think.

Thoughts?

Archived