The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Alain Vigneault doesn’t stand a chance in 2011/12

Slegr

The Penguins made it to the finals in 2008, only to lose to the Red Wings in the finals. The following season, the Pens fired Michel Therien mid-season and went on to win the Stanley Cup under a new coaching style, system and leader.

Interestingly, AV has said he uses the system that he and Therrien developed in Montreal together. A system that the Pens finally gave up on, the year after they posted the greatest points increase in a season. This switch took them from contender to champion.

Perhaps some things do have a shelf life...

The Penguins made it to the finals in 2008, only to lose to the Red Wings in the finals. The following season, the Pens fired Michel Therien mid-season and went on to win the Stanley Cup under a new coaching style, system and leader.

Interestingly, AV has said he uses the system that he and Therrien developed in Montreal together. A system that the Pens finally gave up on, the year after they posted the greatest points increase in a season. This switch took them from contender to champion.

It's also about the way the Canucks have lost under AV during the playoffs that worries me.

How do you expect your team to have confidence throughout a series when you get blownout and leave your goalie in the net to constantly look like a sieve.

Then when you beat the team during a game, you squeak out the W.

he wont get fired.... we are not going to fire AV because the media and fans moan about the team's wins and/or losses. AV whether you like him or not has been a great coach for us. He gave Kesler and Burrows a shot on the top 6, something that other coaches wouldnt even think about. I mean Burrows with Sedins, i never thought that would be such a good line. Not to mention the presidents trophy, and winning the NW division what 3 out of 4 years. Even if it is a somewhat 'weak' division, still quite an accomplishment imo.

Has everyone forgotten that we were one game away from winning the Cup? Why are we even thinking about firing a coach who brought that much success to our hockey club? No team flukes 15 wins during the playoffs... :emot-parrot:

Well, the fact that the last two games of the playoffs were amongst the most uninspired hockey this team has ever played AND the fact that we were one GOAL away from the biggest choke job in NHL playoff history kind of mitigates the success of last year's playoff doncha think? The Linden angle is right on and I predict he will have zilch to do with this team as long as the current management is in place.

I was hoping the Canucks didn't get so many injuries near the end. Because of those, like every season before it with AV including when he was coaching MTL, there's still an excuse to why it's not the coach's fault. It's so frustrating. Most average or below average teams don't get blown out the way the Canucks do in big games. They also don't look so stupid against a team like Nashville in a boring as crap series. I totally understand why there's bandwagoners and neutral fans.

Face it, the salary cap is the reason why the Canucks got so far. Most GM's are just figuring it out now... the whole Western Conference got weaker last year compared to the year before while the Canucks got better using every discount and loophole there is. If you look at it it's not AV that made the team good.

Just put in the Sedins, Lu in net in the regular season, get some pp goals and that's 90% of the regular season game right there. If the team is tired, well the depth at 70% effectiveness is better than other teams at 80% effectiveness. I'd just tell the team to ride that while practicing proactive measures like getting depth players to score on breakaways, 2 on 1's, cut to the middle, get better stickhandling skills, defensive sets, plan A, B, C depending on the team... not just doing the same things over and over at 100% effort level, half of it inefficient and low value, and thinking that's the way to go into the playoffs. Mentally the team should know their good, in a confident but not cocky way, and know that theyr'e making everybody better offensively and defensively. A mistake here or there is a learning opportunity, not automatic benching for some guys.

Bottom line, if you don't think AV needs to change is style of coaching somewhat, you are definitely naive. Why? Well I've assumed you've read this rest of this thread before reading my post, I don't need to reiterate all those points again.

The man never shows any emotion other then a sarcastic smirk at bad calls or bad plays, assistant coach Rick Bowness ends up doing all the talking, has a raging man crush for "hard-working" 4th/3rd liners, ie: Tanner Glass, Guillame Desbiens, etc, never gives more offensive oriented players a chance, ie: Shirokov, Ballard, etc. Unless AV changes his style, I hope he's gone in the near future.

I swear I see these things every summer, no, actually more like every 2 days! However I do understand how you're pointing out that vigneault could be facing alot of heat if we get off to one of our typical slow starts with such high expectations. But, where I disagree though is the amount of success he's brought to this franchise over the last 5 years. And I think management will certainly keep that in mind. There's been several occasions where Vigneault's job has been in doubt and he's been able to pull through. For me personally, I think it would take far more than a mediocre start for management to consider a new coach. If we played absolutely abyssmal hockey for 2 months like I mean horrible and we're pretty well in the league basement and players we're in disputes with the coach over this and that, then yeah, gillis would definately take action. As for Ballard, I've discussed this in several threads, he'll definately get his chances this year, as long as salo plays in the top 4, there's always going to be time for him to play there even if he can't quite crack it preseason. As for Hodgson, I'm completely content with the canucks developing him the minors and giving him big time minutes rather than put him on a 3rd/4th line role. I think we could get off to shaky start, but then get rolling fairly soon. If we stay healthy all year, we'll win the northwest no questions asked. That and most likely 1st place in the west, maybe second if L.A has a really strong year which they easilly should with the team they've got. But back to Vigneault's job, I don't think he's going anywhere.

How can anyone claim boston was a better team than the canucks.

Canucks were the top team in the regular season. There is no way that we should have been blown out so often as we were in the SCF.

Our tough players did not show up in the series and let boston goon our stars. This is poor coaching.

Game 7 was a disgrace in how our guys played. Very poor effort put forth in the most important game in Franchise History.

AV did a completely garbage job of managing our goalie starts in the playoffs ( but of course that should not surprise anyone should it }

AV must go before our Canucks will win the Cup.

I think with a bad start AV is fired at around game 20.

A.V. was coaching for a President's Trophy with the way he overplayed many of the stars. He wasn't coaching as if the Canucks were headed for a long playoff run. Also, I don't think anyone but the coach is to blame for nearly blowing a 3-0 lead to fing Blackhawks of all teams!!!

I predict he will be gone only if we fail to make the playoffs or make an early exit. I would like to see some fresh blood though, the media and fanbase has pretty much bled AV dry.

Come to think of it, he'll probably die from blood loss before he is fired.

Archived