The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Alain Vigneault doesn’t stand a chance in 2011/12

Slegr

Because any success he has had can be easily negated by his failures. I was so happy when Calgary hired him because I knew he would destroy that team from the inside out.

He simply cannot create a working relationship with his players. He creates a rift between the management and the players in every team he plays for. You can only be a tyrant for so long before the peasants revolt.

No. He doesn't have a source. He never does.

Bear in mind that Zippy is the same person who stated as a categorical fact, that Brian Burke came down from the GM's box and told his players to "get" Steve Moore".

He didn't say that he heard it, or that there was a rumour. He said that it happened. End of story.

This guy has a long history of pulling hearsay out of his ass.

• 2 months later...

I will be a very happy Canucks fan the day AV is fired.

Most people on this board don;t really understand the true role of a coach in the NHL.

He is the heart of a team and at the end of the day this team winning or losing when it counts rests on him.

Personally I am glad the team is losing now.

4-11-5 in the first 20 should do it. I just hope the players understand how close the coach is to getting canned and keep playing sub par.

While my wanting to see the team lose may seem traitorous, it is out of my love for them and desire to win in the long run which brought me a smile after the loss tonight.

I will be a very happy Canucks fan the day AV is fired.

Most people on this board don;t really understand the true role of a coach in the NHL.

He is the heart of a team and at the end of the day this team winning or losing when it counts rests on him.

Personally I am glad the team is losing now.

4-11-5 in the first 20 should do it. I just hope the players understand how close the coach is to getting canned and keep playing sub par.

While my wanting to see the team lose may seem traitorous, it is out of my love for them and desire to win in the long run which brought me a smile after the loss tonight.

I've got doubts about AV after last year... I think he's a good coach, but he has a few negatives that played a factor in us losing the cup.

- He is too rigid in his ways and refuses to adapt to different situations... other coaches change what doesn't work and it's a lot easier for them if you know exactly what to expect from the opposing coach (AV + playoffs = no change).

- AV plays favorites too much and once he puts a thought in his head about a player, that's it for the player. If he likes you, you keep playing and if he doesn't than you don't get a chance (not talking about Ballard here) He ignores other options and keeps beating that horse 'till it's dead... I'll use Samuelsson as an example, we all know he was hurt during the playoffs and AV should have rested him for a game or two (or more) during the Nashville series because it wasn't that close.... we didn't need Samuelsson's experience against Nashville, but we DEFINITELY needed it against Boston. Other players could have come in to replace Samuelsson, he was close to awful playing injured anyways.

- He doesn't know how to motivate his players...if this was any other sport (NFL for example), a lot of emphasis is put on the coach to be able to motivate his players and AV continuously fails to do that. Don't leave it up to the players, walk in the room like Knute Rockne and give a speech like "win one for the Gipper", MOTIVATE the guys... the Bruins did it with the "concussion", we could have done it with Raymond... they tried something, granted, but it looked half-ass to me.

- In the playoffs, all teams in every sport understands that they shouldn't say or do something during interviews to motivate the opposition. We all know Lou has a 'slight' problem with interviews and AV should have isolated him from the press so that he wouldn't have a verbal fart again (not knocking his play, just the things he says).

- Let the players play and the coach...well, COACH. I still have no idea why he would listen to Lou and let him stick out the rest of the game after he let in the 4th, 5th, 6th...etc goals? How does losing by these HUGE numbers not bring negativity into the minds of the players or the goalie himself? In no way at all does this do anything to motivate them for the rest of the series. Plus, Scheids was in his home town for the playoffs with all his friends and family watching, like every keepers dream, let him play. I think that everyone here can agree that he deserves it.

AV is NOT the sole reason we lost the cup, but I think we might have had a different ending had there been another coach in his place. However, if MG was to fire AV this year... I can't think of anyone to replace him? I'm not a big fan of Mctavish either so who else could replace AV? I think if any changes take place, it will be after the playoffs... we win - AV stays. We lose - AV's gone. Isn't his contract up this year?

• 4 weeks later...

Coming off his most successful season as a head coach, Alain Vigneault probably isn't expecting to be fired any time soon. But as reality sets in this fall, watch for the Canucks coach to get terminated as early as November.

Why are the odds stacked against a man who brought the Canucks to within one game of the ultimate prize, not to mention the club's first ever President's Trophy? He will soon become a victim of his own success:

• The Canucks traditionally have slow starts to the season. After last spring's post season, there will be high expectations and low amounts of patience should the Canucks come out of the gates in their normal 0.500 fashion

• Teams will be paying special attention to the Canucks, given the team's regular and post-season track records last year

By about the 20-game mark, in this hockey-crazed market, if the Canucks aren't within the top eight seeds in their conference, Alain Vigneault will become extremely expendable by fans, media, and management.

While he has broken countless coaching records in his tenure with the club since his debut in 2006/07, Alain has also had his moments of controversy, that, when compiled over six years, gives more incentive to bring fresh perspectives behind the bench.

Reasons Alain's departure will appeal to fans, media and management:

Rocky relationships: While Alain's personality has blended in a complimentary fashion with several Canucks, he has also created tension among a select few who would benefit under a new head coach. In particular, Keith Ballard, who has the potential to be a cornerstone of the Canucks' defence, has yet to have the confidence instilled in him by his head coach. Cody Hodgson is another potential franchise player who has been used so sparingly when called up that he no doubt questions the coach's confidence in his abilities.

New approaches: We've seen several Canucks blossom into stars during Vigneault's term, in large part to how he has afforded them opportunities to grow. But some may say he has also stifled key players in the particular roles he lays out for them. For instance, if the referees call a one-sided game against the Canucks, the Sedins ride the pine for too long. A new coach would mean a new approach using existing players.

Addressing overprized favourites: Aaron Rome. Do I really need to say more on that?

The Linden factor: While he would never admit it, Trevor Linden is not interested in having a role with the Canucks organization while Alain Vigneault is associated with the club. Trevor will speak highly of Alain when asked about his coaching abilities, but resentment persists in Trevor towards a coach who refused to play him for any length of time, despite his proven worth and continued ability to play a strong role on the team. Below the surface of his class and dignity, his dissatisfaction with the coach ultimately led him to retire two seasons before he wanted to – and he only announced his retirement once he was sure Alain wasn't being fired, in June, 2008, well after the Canucks finished their season, a season that saw Trevor as a healthy scratch for 24 games. If Alain is terminated, it opens up new windows of opportunity in having Trevor Linden a member of the organization, in some capacity.

My prediction: look for Alain Vigneault's departure by the last week of November. Not that I didn't think he did a great job in many aspects, but I have a feeling his end with the Canucks is much closer than most think.

Thoughts?

time to let go of our joke of a head coach and assistant. embarrassed every year in the playoffs by the same team (Chicago) by the same coach. you'd think after losing to a team 2 years in a row you'd have them figured out. nope. meltdown after meltdown after meltdown in the regular season, in the playoffs.

learning from mistakes is not one of AV's strengths.

AV isn't going anywhere. Look at the problems of this team so far:

Defensive positioning.

Poor execution in the offensive zone.

Not generating chances.

This team is playing the same WAY as last season, just not up to standards. Each individual player isn't playing well, that falls on the individual, not the coach's systems. The Canucks have arguably the best system in the league thanks to AV and co. Just look at our PK and PP - somehow both top-10 despite a very terrible team overall.

AV is not the problem, the players are and they need to kick it into gear.

I told myself to not care about the Canucks until there's a coaching change or if they get to the finals again. I hate watching a team that uses the boards a hundred times per game and focuses more on faceoffs and quick line changes than breakaway skills and over complicating systems to the point where players are getting down on themselves.

The Canucks have been heavily scouted and what will break them out of it is a simpler system based on basic positioning and improvisation. For that to work every player should improve on all skills or else they'll be limited to ringing the puck off the boards and getting shots blocked while getting the odd goal off of a turnover or a deflection.

AV may be good technically at times but the fact that there's lacking of common sense at times (not practicing the shootout which would mean practicin breakaways, blaming the hawks for sending top guys on a 5 on 3 in a blowout instead of looking at his team and askin what's up and asking Lu of he wants to stay in net after getting shelled, etc) makes me think some criticism is legit.

Following a favorite team isn't just about wins and losses, it's about the swagger and the manner in which it's done. If the team is stomping the competition then fine But if they're losing by being blown out in big games, confidence is not there and games are emotionless and boring to watch then well I can understand the beefs ppl have even if they focus on irrelevant details or don't articulate their frustration in the most intelligent and logical way.

Archived