The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Alain Vigneault doesn’t stand a chance in 2011/12

Slegr

Coming off his most successful season as a head coach, Alain Vigneault probably isn't expecting to be fired any time soon. But as reality sets in this fall, watch for the Canucks coach to get terminated as early as November.

Why are the odds stacked against a man who brought the Canucks to within one game of the ultimate prize, not to mention the club's first ever President's Trophy? He will soon become a victim of his own success:

• The Canucks traditionally have slow starts to the season. After last spring's post season, there will be high expectations and low amounts of patience should the Canucks come out of the gates in their normal 0.500 fashion

• Teams will be paying special attention to the Canucks, given the team's regular and post-season track records last year

By about the 20-game mark, in this hockey-crazed market, if the Canucks aren't within the top eight seeds in their conference, Alain Vigneault will become extremely expendable by fans, media, and management.

While he has broken countless coaching records in his tenure with the club since his debut in 2006/07, Alain has also had his moments of controversy, that, when compiled over six years, gives more incentive to bring fresh perspectives behind the bench.

Reasons Alain's departure will appeal to fans, media and management:

Rocky relationships: While Alain's personality has blended in a complimentary fashion with several Canucks, he has also created tension among a select few who would benefit under a new head coach. In particular, Keith Ballard, who has the potential to be a cornerstone of the Canucks' defence, has yet to have the confidence instilled in him by his head coach. Cody Hodgson is another potential franchise player who has been used so sparingly when called up that he no doubt questions the coach's confidence in his abilities.

New approaches: We've seen several Canucks blossom into stars during Vigneault's term, in large part to how he has afforded them opportunities to grow. But some may say he has also stifled key players in the particular roles he lays out for them. For instance, if the referees call a one-sided game against the Canucks, the Sedins ride the pine for too long. A new coach would mean a new approach using existing players.

Addressing overprized favourites: Aaron Rome. Do I really need to say more on that?

The Linden factor: While he would never admit it, Trevor Linden is not interested in having a role with the Canucks organization while Alain Vigneault is associated with the club. Trevor will speak highly of Alain when asked about his coaching abilities, but resentment persists in Trevor towards a coach who refused to play him for any length of time, despite his proven worth and continued ability to play a strong role on the team. Below the surface of his class and dignity, his dissatisfaction with the coach ultimately led him to retire two seasons before he wanted to – and he only announced his retirement once he was sure Alain wasn't being fired, in June, 2008, well after the Canucks finished their season, a season that saw Trevor as a healthy scratch for 24 games. If Alain is terminated, it opens up new windows of opportunity in having Trevor Linden a member of the organization, in some capacity.

My prediction: look for Alain Vigneault's departure by the last week of November. Not that I didn't think he did a great job in many aspects, but I have a feeling his end with the Canucks is much closer than most think.

Thoughts?

I think Gillis really believes that AV can still get the job done, and because of that I don't think he's gonna get fired.

Only in a case that we lose consecutive games because of terrible play will he be on a short leash and possibly be fired

If we lose some tight games that we could of won or some bad break games he'll still be with the team.

It will be interesting to see what happens in a case AV gets fired though, who our options would be, because I don't think they would automatically go with MacT (looks like teams typically bring up their farm coach after a firing), because he needs to re-establish himself with coaching because of his absence.

I can only hope this prediction comes true. Imagine, all those that don't want AV fired, imagine IF he is the problem? What could our star players do IF the coach that keeps them down was replaced? Imagine MORE offense from the twins, imagine if the players weren't 'afraid to lose...imagine if LU played 55 games this year and Ginger Lu played 27, and imagine if they were the RIGHT mix of games!!! Imagine if Hansen didn't get 1st line looks tonight, and imagine if players the coach didn't exactly like scored and the coach didn't frown on national tv.

I can only hope this prediction comes true. Imagine, all those that don't want AV fired, imagine IF he is the problem? What could our star players do IF the coach that keeps them down was replaced? Imagine MORE offense from the twins, imagine if the players weren't 'afraid to lose...imagine if LU played 55 games this year and Ginger Lu played 27, and imagine if they were the RIGHT mix of games!!! Imagine if Hansen didn't get 1st line looks tonight, and imagine if players the coach didn't exactly like scored and the coach didn't frown on national tv.

I can only hope this prediction doesn't come true. Imagine, all those that want AV fired, imagine IF his is the mastermind behind this teams success. What would our star players do if the coach that pumps them up was replaced. Imagine LESS offense from the twins, imagine if the players had no structure or accountability...imagine if LU and Ginger LU...had almost the same exact start ratios as last year!!!(You lost me on that one) Imagine if players weren't given opportunities in different spots and Burrows was never tried with the Sedins, and imagine if....(ok WTF was that last line?)

Either way...you're better than this bull$&*^. What if's and imagine arguments...c'mon sir.

MIke Gillis is not the type of player that will make any changes to his staff during regular season. If A.V is to go, it will be at the end of our season. Anything less then a 1st round victory my guess A.V will be gone. But a lot of things we thought will happen never did. WE thought he will trade Schneider this summer, he didn't. some thought he would dump Ballard's contract in order to make room for Ehrhoff's contract, that never happened. But my guess, A.V will be here for at least this season.

• 5 months later...

Archived