The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Alain Vigneault doesn’t stand a chance in 2011/12

Slegr

Guest Dasein

Haters gonna hate.

AV is a good coach. You just don't understand hockey enough to see the glaringly obvious, but painful truth in playing Rome ahead of Ballard, and sitting a highly touted junior prospect Hodgson for 4th line players.

Obviously haters never recognize the fact that he developed some key players on our team from scratch. On top of that, he's led us to the best season in Canucks history.

And the Linden thing? He was a 38 year old veteran at the time, and he wasn't the Trevor Linden of his prime - the guy retired that year for god's sake. Tons of great players were healthy scratches at times the year they retired.

Man another boring thread by some random thought process about what will happen to a coach (possibly,maybe,could) IF certain things play out with countless variables involved..... :frantic: We haven't won the cup in AV's tenure as a coach mainly because we've alway been a player or 2 short (for the last 5-10 yrs)

In the last 5-10 yrs we have not really been a contender until recently MG showed up on the scene and slowly began to add those missing pieces and strengthen other areas, add that to making each position better on depth.

If you really want to blame someone for all this, blame the previous owners (griffiths) for not hiring a better GM long ago and no coach could have got us a cup or even had the means to do so with the rosters we've had.

We have had a good team for awhile but never a GREAT team (speaking in terms of yrs)

When MG is satisfied with the line-up that he builds in the next year or 2 (possibly 3) and AV still blows it in some way then yes this could be a possibility but after the first 20 games of this season, doubt it!

All this may be quite the mute point if MG pulls a deal for a gritty top 6 power forward then the first 20 games we're going to come out smokin b/c there is a lot of depther players wanting a spot, so see a lot of early energy in the season.

This is my concern about AV being let go :bored: <---------- prettyyyyyyyyyyy sure it isn't going to happen

Good OP. Interesting analysis combined with wishful thinking. Like a lot of other people I think AV is a good coach but not a great coach -- and has been outcoached by every other coach he faced in the playoffs in the last three years.

It still worries me that Vancouver had tough series against Chicago and Nashville last year despite have much more talent. In both cases other coaches were able to make adjustments and come back against the Canucks. And Boston did the same thing. AV's weakness (well, one of his weaknesses) is that he does not adjust well. He has his system and all he can do is stick with it.

The Canucks have the best talent in the league and would make any coach look good. The window of opportunity lasts for maybe two more years. I would like to see another coach get a shot at it.

It would be great to see Linden associated with the team again.

I feel much the same as the OP does, that we have team talented enough to win despite our Head Coach .. I figure he is on a shorter leash than some folks think .. his failure to alter his game plan and approach in the Hawks & Bruins series screams out to me .. in fact I still wake up shuddering at the sound .. :PThat being said, I have great faith in MG and the Aquilini's are nobodies fools ..

Good OP. Interesting analysis combined with wishful thinking. Like a lot of other people I think AV is a good coach but not a great coach -- and has been outcoached by every other coach he faced in the playoffs in the last three years.

It still worries me that Vancouver had tough series against Chicago and Nashville last year despite have much more talent. In both cases other coaches were able to make adjustments and come back against the Canucks. And Boston did the same thing. AV's weakness (well, one of his weaknesses) is that he does not adjust well. He has his system and all he can do is stick with it.

The Canucks have the best talent in the league and would make any coach look good. The window of opportunity lasts for maybe two more years. I would like to see another coach get a shot at it.

It would be great to see Linden associated with the team again.

Haters gonna hate.

AV is a good coach. You just don't understand hockey enough to see the glaringly obvious, but painful truth in playing Rome ahead of Ballard, and sitting a highly touted junior prospect Hodgson for 4th line players.

1) Obviously haters never recognize the fact that he developed some key players on our team from scratch. On top of that, he's led us to the best season in Canucks history.

2) And the Linden thing? He was a 38 year old veteran at the time, and he wasn't the Trevor Linden of his prime - the guy retired that year for god's sake. Tons of great players were healthy scratches at times the year they retired.

FACT: AV took us to the Stanley Cup Finals, and we were one win away from hoisting the Cup.

Why should we fire a guy who brought us so much success?

You could argue that our players were 99.9% of the reason why were successful because they were so great. but if that's the case, then what happened to Chicago with Toews, Kane, Hossa, Sharp, Seabrook, Keith, and Campbell?

:emot-parrot::emot-parrot::emot-parrot::emot-parrot::emot-parrot::emot-parrot:

I fully agree with this post..

I'm not a AV hater like those begging to have him fired after every loss, but the OP's support really raises good points. I'll be quite content when AV is gone and someone that will be able to motivate the group of guys while giving everyone a fair chance and minutes is able to coach the team.

I'm just not sure if MG is feeling the same way.. He doesn't seem like the type to put AV on a short leash..

But I guess only time will tell.

<br />I agree with much of this comment about AV being on a short leash in terms of he should be on a short leash but I doubt he is with MG unfortunately. Time will tell. As for the Linden situation it is 100% accurate! Same for Hodgson. Same for Ballard. Same for Rome. Same for Sedins spending too much time on the bench due to no penalty killing. AV is even keeled, and a good coach...not a great coach. His teams are often wound so tight they can't breathe, and clutch their sticks ridiculously tight. That's his trademark as a coach...every team he's coached has displayed that and unfortunately coaching(and injuries) were the Canucks nemesis in the playoffs. The players almost overcame his poor coaching but when injuries piled up they simply ran out of gas and he couldn't help them at all. He was badly &quot;out media manipulated&quot; by Julien,and by  Quenneville too. He was great when the series were 0-0 but failed miserably in coaching and preparation for when they had a lead. He had no answers or counterattacks to deal with other teams coaching. A new, winning, coach is needed to get them over the hump...but who? If none are available...AV will stay, and the Canucks will gradually recede from their lofty year to middle of the pack.<br />

I have a feeling Mike Gillis and Alain will be at the helm for a long time. Long after even Kesler's current contract has expired, and regardless of how they do the first half, or the last half, Coach V will remain. He's been a major part of the rebuilding and will continue to be in the coming seasons.

and for the record

Mac T is a bum.

You're entitled to your opinion and there are no shortage of AV haters out there despite the successful run that he has had here to date. How easy would it be to hire a top quality coach if a guy who came within one win of the Cup and has racked up numerous winning seasons isn't good enough and gets fired? If the team has plays .500 for the first few months, fire the coach? If the every player on the team doesn't love the coach, then get rid of the coach?

Following your logic, coaches like Scotty Bowman and Al Arbour wouldn't have lasted more than a couple of seasons.

AV is a good fit for the Canucks and he has grown into the job. Who would you replace him with? Meanwhile if you need to fire someone, how does 0 for 4 sound? And what about the guy now running the soccer team; he's not much better than the other guy they already fired. You think that Canucks have problems? Sure let's make Vancouver a coaches graveyard in all sports.

Archived