The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Alain Vigneault doesn’t stand a chance in 2011/12

Slegr

It will be interesting. I think he's had plenty of chances. He'll be on a very short leash, especially if MacT takes over for the Wolves. I wonder how much slack AV will be given if a few players are still out with injuries for the beginning of the season. I think MG has shown a lot of faith in him, but he's still running out of chances. I mean, our team is good enough that we're going to do well in the regular season no matter who is coaching the team. I'm more concerned about him not being able to really rally the team in the playoffs. FFS we were up 3-0 against the Hawks and we almost lost. We were up 2-0 against the Bruins and we blew it. AV needs to take some of the blame.

What makes you so sure about what is going on inside Trevor Linden?

How could you possibly think that because fans feel strongly about something, that management does too?

I think this is a bash/I hate AV thread with more words than normal.

How can you say 2), honestly. I love Trevor Linden hes my hero but just by having him in the Canucks organization would of helped is stupid. What if he is just scouting with Gradin or something. How the hell is that gonna help them play the game...

Every year no matter how good we do or how far we make it in the playoffs, everyone screams for AV's head. Give it a rest people! Whether you like it or not, face the facts... Vigneault is one of the best/ if not THE best coach we've ever had. He is not going to get fired any time soon unless we go the first half of the season without any wins at all.

I think AV's future is inevitably linked to how "he's my guy"/Lu performs next season, and how AV manages Lu's contribution to the team. If AV persists in putting Lu between the pipes at times when it is obvious to the whole City of Vancouver (save for AV) that Lu needs to be rested for a game or two, then things don't look too good for AV.

The other major hurdle AV has to surmount is getting inside Lu's psychology. For the past couple of seasons, Lu has started to go off the boil, and I fear it's a case of AV giving Lu too much rope. The Canucks need to get that "deer in the headlights" look out of Lu's eyes, and return him to top form.

Outside of that, AV has acquitted himself very well. The only time we would see him let go is probably after the Christmas break, when the Canucks tend to have their traditional slump. That is, if MG/Ownership lose significant faith in AV, and can replace him with someone who can do the job better..... which is doubtful.

In conclusion, I suspect AV, Lu and the Canucks will rise to even greater heights in 2011-12.

I've checked out of Canucks hockey until the playoffs next year or if there's an improvement in coaching. The style that AV's team plays is only fun to watch if they win but frustrating as hell if they lose. The Canucks need to adopt an NBA style winning strategy for the regular season. Pick off the easy teams, try 50-50 against better teams and pick a few key games as the "prove yourself" games. The key is though that the team knows what they're doing.. if they slack off a little, they know they can come back and win. But not feel like crap if they don't come out with a hard 110% effort that night when realistically they can't for 82 games. They have to know that Sedin regular season goals and pp goals aren't gonna come in bunches in the playoffs. But they don't seem to know that... they seem to be let that let them down if they don't get those type of goals. Develop all lines to score to ease the load and give the group more confidence. I'm not a smoker now but if I had to watch all 82 games with AV coaching I sure as hell would be.

I for one will look forward to AV getting fired. After 6 seasons, I tire of him and the decisions he makes. I will be excited once the Canucks gain a new voice and different perspective.

I also won't mind a coach who isn't afraid to show his emotion towards the media. Ie when the team is playing poorly, he can talk about it.

Bottom line, if you don't think AV needs to change is style of coaching somewhat, you are definitely naive. Why? Well I've assumed you've read this rest of this thread before reading my post, I don't need to reiterate all those points again.

The man never shows any emotion other then a sarcastic smirk at bad calls or bad plays, assistant coach Rick Bowness ends up doing all the talking, has a raging man crush for "hard-working" 4th/3rd liners, ie: Tanner Glass, Guillame Desbiens, etc, never gives more offensive oriented players a chance, ie: Shirokov, Ballard, etc. Unless AV changes his style, I hope he's gone in the near future.

I don't know why you have negative votes, it's your opinion. We may not agree, but you did take the time to make a thoughtful post. I agree somewhat, as coaches have been fired DURING cup runs. No coach is untouchable. I happen to like his approach to the beginning of the season, and as there will be new teammates on the ice, it WILL take some time for 'chemistry', to develop.

I really hope he stays, see if he learned something from last post-season. We shall see!

Every year no matter how good we do or how far we make it in the playoffs, everyone screams for AV's head. Give it a rest people! Whether you like it or not, face the facts... Vigneault is one of the best/ if not THE best coach we've ever had. He is not going to get fired any time soon unless we go the first half of the season without any wins at all.

I for one will look forward to AV getting fired. After 6 seasons, I tire of him and the decisions he makes. I will be excited once the Canucks gain a new voice and different perspective.

I also won't mind a coach who isn't afraid to show his emotion towards the media. Ie when the team is playing poorly, he can talk about it.

"Teams will be paying special attention to the Canucks, given the team’s regular and post-season track records last year"

I don't believe for a second that other teams will pay 'special attention' to us. Every team wants a lethal powerplay, every team wants a stifling penalty kill, and every team wants to be the best. Teams might dream about copying the structure of our team, but they lack the personnel to do so(ie. Phoenix). If you're saying other teams will play harder against us, I don't think they'll say "look out, we're playing against the 'almost Cup champs'....

"Rocky Relationships...Keith Ballard, who has the potential to be a cornerstone of the Canucks’ defence, has yet to have the confidence instilled in him by his head coach. Cody Hodgson is another potential franchise player who has been used so sparingly when called up that he no doubt questions the coach’s confidence in his abilities."

No player likes their playing time reduced. When that happens, players are obviously not going to be happy about it. At the same time, the team runs a 'reward for good behavior' concept. I mean, do we randomly feed Ballard and Hodgson minutes even when they haven't earned it or when others are outplaying them? How do you instill confidence in your head coach? You go out there and make a good play. AV's not saying: "Ballard, you made a great play that gave us a chance to win the game...but I'm still going to have to bench you because I like Tanev more...lol...sorry..."

"if the referees call a one-sided game against the Canucks, the Sedins ride the pine for too long. A new coach would mean a new approach using existing players"

Are you suggesting we use the Sedins to PK too? The Sedins aren't overly fast or big. The reason why their game is so good is because of excellent hand-eye coordination. Kesler PKs because he's a big guy who can skate(if you want to compare star players).

"Addressing overprized favourites: Aaron Rome. Do I really need to say more on that? "

No, the question should be: "Did Ballard out-play Rome?" Do I really need to say more on that?

"While he would never admit it, Trevor Linden is not interested in having a role with the Canucks organization while Alain Vigneault is associated with the club"

The term "while he would never admit it" really sums it up. Maybe Linden isn't interested in doing anything hockey-related at the moment. There could be numerous reasons why he doesn't want a role in management atm. I could come out and say: "While I can never prove it, Torres really hates AV, that's why he signed in PHX in the offseason." But that's not a fact, because it could be about the $$$ the team's offering and a handful of different reasons...

I'll give you a fact: AV's a big reason the team won 15 games during the playoffs. Call it what you like, but teams don't fluke out 15 wins during the playoffs. :emot-parrot:

Coming off his most successful season as a head coach, Alain Vigneault probably isn't expecting to be fired any time soon. But as reality sets in this fall, watch for the Canucks coach to get terminated as early as November.

Why are the odds stacked against a man who brought the Canucks to within one game of the ultimate prize, not to mention the club's first ever President's Trophy? He will soon become a victim of his own success:

• The Canucks traditionally have slow starts to the season. After last spring's post season, there will be high expectations and low amounts of patience should the Canucks come out of the gates in their normal 0.500 fashion

• Teams will be paying special attention to the Canucks, given the team's regular and post-season track records last year

By about the 20-game mark, in this hockey-crazed market, if the Canucks aren't within the top eight seeds in their conference, Alain Vigneault will become extremely expendable by fans, media, and management.

While he has broken countless coaching records in his tenure with the club since his debut in 2006/07, Alain has also had his moments of controversy, that, when compiled over six years, gives more incentive to bring fresh perspectives behind the bench.

Reasons Alain's departure will appeal to fans, media and management:

Rocky relationships: While Alain's personality has blended in a complimentary fashion with several Canucks, he has also created tension among a select few who would benefit under a new head coach. In particular, Keith Ballard, who has the potential to be a cornerstone of the Canucks' defence, has yet to have the confidence instilled in him by his head coach. Cody Hodgson is another potential franchise player who has been used so sparingly when called up that he no doubt questions the coach's confidence in his abilities.

New approaches: We've seen several Canucks blossom into stars during Vigneault's term, in large part to how he has afforded them opportunities to grow. But some may say he has also stifled key players in the particular roles he lays out for them. For instance, if the referees call a one-sided game against the Canucks, the Sedins ride the pine for too long. A new coach would mean a new approach using existing players.

Addressing overprized favourites: Aaron Rome. Do I really need to say more on that?

The Linden factor: While he would never admit it, Trevor Linden is not interested in having a role with the Canucks organization while Alain Vigneault is associated with the club. Trevor will speak highly of Alain when asked about his coaching abilities, but resentment persists in Trevor towards a coach who refused to play him for any length of time, despite his proven worth and continued ability to play a strong role on the team. Below the surface of his class and dignity, his dissatisfaction with the coach ultimately led him to retire two seasons before he wanted to – and he only announced his retirement once he was sure Alain wasn't being fired, in June, 2008, well after the Canucks finished their season, a season that saw Trevor as a healthy scratch for 24 games. If Alain is terminated, it opens up new windows of opportunity in having Trevor Linden a member of the organization, in some capacity.

My prediction: look for Alain Vigneault's departure by the last week of November. Not that I didn't think he did a great job in many aspects, but I have a feeling his end with the Canucks is much closer than most think.

Thoughts?

Archived