The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Alain Vigneault doesn’t stand a chance in 2011/12

Slegr

Bottom line, if you don't think AV needs to change is style of coaching somewhat, you are definitely naive. Why? Well I've assumed you've read this rest of this thread before reading my post, I don't need to reiterate all those points again.

The man never shows any emotion other then a sarcastic smirk at bad calls or bad plays, assistant coach Rick Bowness ends up doing all the talking, has a raging man crush for "hard-working" 4th/3rd liners, ie: Tanner Glass, Guillame Desbiens, etc, never gives more offensive oriented players a chance, ie: Shirokov, Ballard, etc. Unless AV changes his style, I hope he's gone in the near future.

i totally disagree with you and who cares whether he shows emotion or not.....as long as he can keep coaching the way he is coaching, i'm sure gillis will keep him....i hope AV is coaching this team for several stanley cups....you make assumptions you know nothing about....if you want to know the truth, ask the players....they don't just guess and pass their opinion on as fact...

Watch the tapes from the Montreal and Tampa series. They were able to exploit the fact that Thomas is overly aggressive.

Making adjustments in how you run your powerplay rather then who you put out there makes a lot more sense to me.

In any case, what did Vig have to lose by experimenting with who he put out there? Wasnt our powerplay like 2 for a billion?

Ive seen it before.

I guess the coaches who do it know something you dont.

What it boils down to is that I dont want to my team get embarrassed anymore. I want to see them go down fighting, not get steamrolled.

I dont know if a coaching change is the right solution. Im just tired of seeing lethargy in pressure games.

I feel that this is what needs to be addressed.

Exactly.

newell brown runs the power play...linden said that AV is a great coach....i guess we shouldn't listen to him or gillis anymore...their hockey knowledge isn't near as good as ours...too many people here are rapped up in their own importance......

No, I never ignored that fact that it's a team game (I've been playing hockey since I was 5 years old so it's impossible for me to ignore) but I see you also are conveniently avoiding the very fact that you're trying to respond to!

By saying that AV isn't going to be fired, you are not coming off as a genius. He CAN'T be fired now unless there is some major internal calamity.

Even the ones who say he should be fired realize that he won't be.

Get with the program!

I for one will look forward to AV getting fired. After 6 seasons, I tire of him and the decisions he makes. I will be excited once the Canucks gain a new voice and different perspective.

I also won't mind a coach who isn't afraid to show his emotion towards the media. Ie when the team is playing poorly, he can talk about it.

It will be interesting. I think he's had plenty of chances. He'll be on a very short leash, especially if MacT takes over for the Wolves. I wonder how much slack AV will be given if a few players are still out with injuries for the beginning of the season. I think MG has shown a lot of faith in him, but he's still running out of chances. I mean, our team is good enough that we're going to do well in the regular season no matter who is coaching the team. I'm more concerned about him not being able to really rally the team in the playoffs. FFS we were up 3-0 against the Hawks and we almost lost. We were up 2-0 against the Bruins and we blew it. AV needs to take some of the blame. 

AV is a great coach...during the regular season where we play a different team each night.

In a 7-game chess match, we've seen him have serious problems on numerous occasions.

Linden also said that Mike Keenan was not a good coach...Mike Keenan has been to the Finals three times and has won a Stanley Cup. He is an excellent coach/strategist, especially in the playoffs but the problem is that he is way too much of a jacka$ and people lose respect for him very quickly as a result.

I for one will look forward to AV getting fired. After 6 seasons, I tire of him and the decisions he makes. I will be excited once the Canucks gain a new voice and different perspective.

I also won't mind a coach who isn't afraid to show his emotion towards the media. Ie when the team is playing poorly, he can talk about it.

Well, the fact that the last two games of the playoffs were amongst the most uninspired hockey this team has ever played AND the fact that we were one GOAL away from the biggest choke job in NHL playoff history kind of mitigates the success of last year's playoff doncha think? The Linden angle is right on and I predict he will have zilch to do with this team as long as the current management is in place.

There was one game that we lost 8-1. Anything earlier, we won those games 1-0 and 3-2. Obviously playing Schneider in Game 3 when we were down 4-0 would have given us the chance to come back...NOT. We would have lost that game whoever we had in the net. Does Schneider score goals for us? The reason we lost was because we couldn't score and changing your goaltender doesn't address that issue.

It's funny that people say that AV is a fair coach.

Was it fair of AV to never reunite Grabner with Kes and Mase after Grabner recovered from his ankle injury? Instead kept him on the moose and when he was recalled only played him with the 4th line, when clearly he was lighting it up with Kes (7pts in 10 gms) during the time he played on the 2nd line.

Was it fair of AV to bench Shiro for 2 of 3 periods after he had scored his first NHL goal in his first callup of the year. We never saw Shiro with the Canucks again after he did everything he could do possible in the 1 and 1/3 game he played.

Was it fair to bench Ballard after the great game 4 V.S the sharks in the WCF? He gets redemption on Jamie Mcquin with that hip check and as soon as Rome was healthy to play game 5 Ballard didn't play until game 4 of the SCF and playing on the top pairing only to set up rusty Ballard fail by going from the press box to the top pairing. If you say Rome doesn't lose his spot due to injury then what about the first "Fair" point I posted above regarding the Grabner situation.

I was a believer when AV first came in and said those who play well will play more. I have seen some instances where this far from the case.

Mike Keenan has been to the Finals three times and has won a Stanley Cup. He is an excellent coach/strategist, especially in the playoffs but the problem is that he is way too much of a jacka$$ and people lose respect for him very quickly as a result.

Which is why AV's perceived lack of emotion is the sign of a long term coach that wil not lose the attention/respect of players. Just because you don't see emotion doesn't mean its not there. Body language says more than words. Those that critique AV based on his 'lack of emotion' know very little about coaching.

Archived