#1 dawm

dawm

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:05 PM

http://dota2.com/

1 million dollar tournament before the game is even released... say wuhhh?

Posted Image

#2 Try Again

Try Again

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:39 PM

gotta get my game on Posted Image

too bad i suck at these games...

Edited by Bangs Chol, 01 August 2011 - 04:40 PM.

Posted Image

#3 Alexidney Crosvechkinby

Alexidney Crosvechkinby

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:47 PM

so none of them have played it? should be interesting
Posted Image
my patronus is a sloth

#4 The Wizard of AZ

The Wizard of AZ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:49 PM

Does that mean we get a new Basshunter song?

Posted Image

#5 23•Qwerty

23•Qwerty

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,371 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:18 PM

How asian are you even, dom?
Posted Image

#6 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,099 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:24 AM

Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#7 Offensive Threat

Offensive Threat

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:42 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OzWIFX8M-Y

Thats painful to try to sit through. Really really godaweful. Terrible even. Embarrassing and shameful. Besides that its just not very good. Im saying its crap and you shouldnt be encouraging it.

Posted Image

#8 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,099 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:17 AM

Thats painful to try to sit through. Really really godaweful. Terrible even. Embarrassing and shameful. Besides that its just not very good. Im saying its crap and you shouldnt be encouraging it.

I don't like it either, but that's what Dota instantly reminds of.
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#9 Ṣpiderman

Ṣpiderman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:34 AM

Anyone else here have the beta key for Dota 2?

Posted Image

#10 Rhinogator

Rhinogator

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:46 AM

Bumping this thread. Recently got the game 3 weeks ago, still a very bad player but the game is fun. I wonder if there are any other on CDC that plays?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 Ṣpiderman

Ṣpiderman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:46 PM

Played it for months, but it's boring if you're not playing with a coordinated team. Don't really like playing with randoms because everyone wants mid but doesn't know how to abuse the area (nor do they gank).

Have 3 keys now. You know if they can still be sold and for how much? I haven't checked.

Posted Image

#12 Rhinogator

Rhinogator

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:53 PM

Played it for months, but it's boring if you're not playing with a coordinated team. Don't really like playing with randoms because everyone wants mid but doesn't know how to abuse the area (nor do they gank).

Have 3 keys now. You know if they can still be sold and for how much? I haven't checked.

i have about 10 friends that i play with and its usually very fun. Depends on what kind of keys you have they should be able to sell quite easily (not for cash though). Is it key codes? or something you can trade in steam.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#13 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:54 AM

Anyone still play it? or is this thread kinda dead...

#14 Rhinogator

Rhinogator

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:57 PM

i'm guessing not many ppl play it lol, since its not on console :S
Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 13,131 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:37 PM

i'm guessing not many ppl play it lol, since its not on console :S

...and because the game hasn't been released yet. Dota 2 will be huge when it comes out.

Someone give me a beta key, pretty please.

marge.jpg

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#16 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 13,131 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:25 PM

The game is going to be Free to Play ("with a twist") too. Hmm. I hope it's not loaded with advertising, or something.

marge.jpg

#17 ChenWei91

ChenWei91

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:40 PM

The game is going to be Free to Play ("with a twist") too. Hmm. I hope it's not loaded with advertising, or something.

I'd assume it'll be like League of Legends, where you can purchase all the champions (heroes) with actual money, or you can purchase them with in-game currency that you earn by playing games.

While the champions (heroes) skins will only be attainable through actual money.

As for the "twist"... I really don't know... Maybe hats? O.o

Edited by (>'-')>, 20 April 2012 - 02:44 PM.

(>'-')>Posted Image<('-'<)

#18 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 13,131 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:50 PM

I'd assume it'll be like League of Legends, where you can purchase all the champions (heroes) with actual money, or you can purchase them with in-game currency that you earn by playing games.

While the champions (heroes) skins will only be attainable through actual money.

As for the "twist"... I really don't know... Maybe hats? O.o

From what I've read, all heroes (or whatever), will be available for free. And the "twist" is something that's never been done in an online (F2P) game before.

marge.jpg

#19 Rhinogator

Rhinogator

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

most likely not.
Expect microtransactions with cosmetic items + something else they are keeping from us. There wouldn't be a pay to access all game content option for valve games, at least i hope not.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#20 ChenWei91

ChenWei91

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:51 PM

From what I've read, all heroes (or whatever), will be available for free. And the "twist" is something that's never been done in an online (F2P) game before.

hmmm.... I seriously can't think of anything that hasn't been done in any F2P game before... Maybe if you spend real money on something... they give you like a free puppy! Everyone likes puppies.

Or for every dollar spent, Gabe will lose that amount of weight... I kid... o.O But the guy could stand to lose a few pounds... -_-

#21 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 13,131 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

far and away the most popular game on steam, why isn't there more discussion about this?

marge.jpg

#22 ChenWei91

ChenWei91

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

far and away the most popular game on steam, why isn't there more discussion about this?

Same could be said about League of Legends.

#23 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 13,131 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

Same could be said about League of Legends.

i guess so. i mean, i know LoL is popular, but i (personally) don't know anyone who plays it.

seems like everyone uses Steam, though, and everyone loves one of: left 4 dead, team fortress 2, half life, so you'd think a new, mega hyped, mega popular game like Dota from valve would be a hot topic.

i know it's still in beta, but i have keys i can't even give away at this point.

anyway, the game is super difficult, but man is it fun. i've only got a couple hours under my belt, and only play against bots for now, but i love it despite a terrible first impression, some months ago

marge.jpg

#24 ChenWei91

ChenWei91

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

i guess so. i mean, i know LoL is popular, but i (personally) don't know anyone who plays it.

seems like everyone uses Steam, though, and everyone loves one of: left 4 dead, team fortress 2, half life, so you'd think a new, mega hyped, mega popular game like Dota from valve would be a hot topic.

i know it's still in beta, but i have keys i can't even give away at this point.

anyway, the game is super difficult, but man is it fun. i've only got a couple hours under my belt, and only play against bots for now, but i love it despite a terrible first impression, some months ago

There's actually quite a decent number of current/former CDC'ers that play. Most notable ones are Krazz, StealthCanuck, and Dellins (Dellins probably quit tho).

The MOBA genre really only adheres to a certain type of people. And a game like DOTA II would seem very very intimidating to those that have never touched a MOBA game before.

I have six keys that I've been trying to give away for free for months now, but nobody wants it...

From experience. I think the reason for the high difficulty is due to the fact that most (if not all) the heroes are very imbalanced. So if you get caught, it's basically GG. Also their UI is takes a bit of time to learn.

#25 Sanford

Sanford

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,424 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

I've had dota 2 for a while in 3 steam accounts. They keep giving beta testers free keys... so if anyone in CDC wants to give Dota 2 a shot, I got like 15 keys to give away just ask here.
Posted Image

#26 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 13,131 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

The MOBA genre really only adheres to a certain type of people. And a game like DOTA II would seem very very intimidating to those that have never touched a MOBA game before.

From experience. I think the reason for the high difficulty is due to the fact that most (if not all) the heroes are very imbalanced. So if you get caught, it's basically GG. Also their UI is takes a bit of time to learn.

it's not a game for 'casual' players that's for sure. it takes time, if not commitment to really learn how to play properly. but what really annoys me about the average low level game (which i'm still stuck in) is how there's a mad dash for: drow, zeus, sniper. every game has these heroes, and every game usually has 2, sometimes 3 on one team. so people are stuck choosing slightly more complicated heroes that they have no idea how to play, and it's game over.

i've lost SO many games because of this garbage. it's so frustrating how people don't have any interest in countering a hero, they just choose some stuff--seemingly randomly--and get raped.

ugh!

Edited by GLASSJAW, 14 February 2013 - 03:07 PM.

marge.jpg

#27 ChenWei91

ChenWei91

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:23 PM

it's not a game for 'casual' players that's for sure. it takes time, if not commitment to really learn how to play properly. but what really annoys me about the average low level game (which i'm still stuck in) is how there's a mad dash for: drow, zeus, sniper. every game has these heroes, and every game usually has 2, sometimes 3 on one team. so people are stuck choosing slightly more complicated heroes that they have no idea how to play, and it's game over.

i've lost SO many games because of this garbage. it's so frustrating how people don't have any interest in countering a hero, they just choose some stuff--seemingly randomly--and get raped.

ugh!

Can't expect much for low tier games. it'll always be hell. Best you can do is just carry yourself out, if you're good enough. Don't rely on teammates to win, rely on your own skills.

I haven't played the game in months now, so I'm unsure of the state of the game. But when I did all I did was choose the sniper and just farm all game. Then eventually I'll build enough damage to just completely melt everyone.

You can probably just take what I just wrote with a grain of salt tho. I didn't really take this game seriously, as it's not my cup of tea (I prefer League of Legends). So I didn't bother learning the more complicated mechanics of the game.

#28 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:09 AM

It's a very daunting game to pick up for people who haven't played Dota (in WC3), HoN, or LoL or another of the other variants out there. A very large number of heroes, each with a different set of skills, and all the items and equipment that can be purchased and made, it's no wonder the learning curve is so steep.

It's not just a matter of learning the skills of your hero, but also understanding what counters what, which abilities of which heroes synergize together, knowing when and how to pull creeps, placing wards, Roshing, etc. etc. etc.

A lot of things for a new player to learn.

I'm absolutely terrible at Dota 2 since I didn't play any of the other dota-style games.

I've also got a bunch of free keys if anyone wants them.

RIP LB RR PD

#29 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 13,131 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

i never played any other dota style games either, but it seems pretty easy to me, since everyone LITERALLY PICKS THE EXACT SAME HEROES EACH GAME

just quickly open up a google tab and search "drow ranger counter," pick Viper, and you're good to go.

if someone is zeus and/or sniper, grab Huskar or Spirit Breaker and your lane should rack up 20 kills

Edited by GLASSJAW, 15 February 2013 - 11:55 AM.

marge.jpg

#30 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 13,131 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

(don't get me wrong, i suck too, but so does everyone in my game, as it's so low level--but still!)

as it's not my cup of tea (I prefer League of Legends). So I didn't bother learning the more complicated mechanics of the game.

why do you prefer LoL over Dota2?

marge.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.