The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dota 2

dawm

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Valve is about to (finally) release Dota 2 officially -- perhaps aligned with the International tournament (reminder: biggest tournament in gaming history)

Valve has also announced an official link-up with Twitch.tv, so there's more connection between viewer and an individual's steam account, allowing for more prizes and easier access to streamers, tournaments, etc.

Crazy the pot for the tournament is around 2.6 million now.

What's even more crazy is if a team like Na'Vi wins and takes their winnings back to small town Ukraine, they are living EXTREMELY large.

Assuming first place gets 1.8+ million USD.. that's an awful lot of money for someone living in a rather poor country.

• 4 weeks later...

What's even more crazy is if a team like Na'Vi wins and takes their winnings back to small town Ukraine, they are living EXTREMELY large.

Assuming first place gets 1.8+ million USD.. that's an awful lot of money for someone living in a rather poor country.

Alliance has all the pressure and momentum right now to win it all, but who knows if they'll pull an LGD.cn from last year and lose it in the semifinals

1st - $1,417,275 USD

2nd - $623,601 USD

3rd - $283,455 USD

4th - $198,419 USD

5th - $113,382 USD

6th - $113,382 USD

7th - $42,518 USD

8th - $42,518 USD

Last Updated: 01:35PM 08/06/13

Well I just got my first hate message in-game for using the Drow Ranger and dominating towards the end, but as I'm still attempting to complete the 10 training games vs human opponents I'll probably stick with what works until I can start using Lina.

Ignore it! people in Dota get frustrated very easily and always cry about OP this or OP that. Drow does a lot of damage, but has loads of weaknesses your opponents just don't understand (yet).

But i strongly recommend you branch out and try lots of heroes in the early levels, just so you dont have to worry about it later. You are gonna have to branch out eventually. Better to get a feel for heroes you like now.

If you like Drow, try Viper. Same thing basically, but requires a bit more skill IMO (does less damage), has an active ult, etc.

Make sure you try some heroes in each role to see which you are best suited for. I lost a LOT of games trying to play carry heroes, but now I realize that my personality and play style is just more suited for an aggressive support type role. I lose a LOT less now and have a lot more fun, just because I realized where I fit in.

Ignore it! people in Dota get frustrated very easily and always cry about OP this or OP that. Drow does a lot of damage, but has loads of weaknesses your opponents just don't understand (yet).

But i strongly recommend you branch out and try lots of heroes in the early levels, just so you dont have to worry about it later. You are gonna have to branch out eventually. Better to get a feel for heroes you like now.

If you like Drow, try Viper. Same thing basically, but requires a bit more skill IMO (does less damage), has an active ult, etc.

Make sure you try some heroes in each role to see which you are best suited for. I lost a LOT of games trying to play carry heroes, but now I realize that my personality and play style is just more suited for an aggressive support type role. I lose a LOT less now and have a lot more fun, just because I realized where I fit in.

I actually tried out Viper last night and went 14-1-9 in a very even game and enjoyed it.

From playing the required bot games I already know I'm not going to be a fan of melee characters in this, but I ended up buying a key and opening a crate yesterday and received a rare blade (Golden Riptide for the Naga Siren) so I'll be giving that character a shot after my final training game.

The only real problem I have with the game is all the people who quit after they die. I have only managed to have two or three full games so far.

Well I just had my entire team up and quit on me in a 20ish - 20ish game. With each passing game I'm enjoying this less and less.

I should probably just dedicate myself to Starcraft.

If you're playing alone, you should always just select US WEST servers so you can try your best to avoid Russians and eastern Europeans. As far as gaming goes, they are third rate citizens and generally ruin a lot of games

anyway, Dota is not for casual people at all. You either stop worrying about winning and losing for your first 300-500 hours of gameplay, or you only play with friends. You need to get around the steep learning curve before you consistently find players who know/understand the game and want to win.

Well I just had my entire team up and quit on me in a 20ish - 20ish game. With each passing game I'm enjoying this less and less.

I should probably just dedicate myself to Starcraft.

I don't play a lot of random matchmaking games with people I don't know, so I can't really say.

What level are you now? The higher you get, the less that crap will happen.

I've played a crap-ton of dota now, game is all I play these days, haha.

Anyone else been watching The International 3 (TI3)? The matches have been nuts, haha. That combo that Na'Vi pulled off with the Pudge hook and the Chen teleport back to fountain was insane. Absolutely trolled the Gyrocopter and that neat combo won them the game.

Basically Dendi would hook and while the hook is on its way there, the Chen would teleport Pudge back to the fountain. The hook would then land and pull the enemy all the way back into the fountain, hahaha. The Gyrocopter that got hooked had an Aegis of the Immortal too, haha. He died twice. Changed the landscape of the game completely and Na'Vi ended up coming back and winning, haha. crap was nuts.

If you guys are just starting out at this game, I would honestly suggest learning by playing support heroes.

It's imperative to understand the support roles before you learn to carry, imo. You need to learn how to:

Ward - when and where to Observer ward, and buying sentry wards, dewarding the enemy wards, and sentry-warding invis heroes. Extremely important part of the game that so many people overlook.

Pull and Stack - When and how to pull creeps to pull the lane back, and how and when to stack jungle creeps so your carry has that extra farm.

The reason I say learning to play support is best is because usually support heroes are the strongest early game heroes, and their effectiveness is not based on items, like all carries are. This means that you can learn and play and don't have to worry about getting all those last hits, and you won't be relied on by your team to do all the killing.

Support heroes that are easy to learn and start out with:

Lich

Lion

Witch Doctor

Crystal Maiden

Lina

Ogre Mage

Support heroes that are a bit tougher to learn:

Shadow Shaman

*Shadow Demon

Jakiro

Omniknight

*Keeper of the Light

Zeus

Enchantress

Warlock

Earthshaker

Treant Protector

Sand King

Tidehunter

Bane

Vengeful Spirit

Necrolyte

Pugna

Leshrac

Dazzle

Difficult support heroes:

*Rubick

*Puck

*Chen

Windrunner

*Io

Enigma

Visage

Best way to learn is to play the first group, imo. In the more difficult groups, I've *'d the ones that are more effective and picked more often in tournaments. Good heroes to learn, eventually.

I agree that it's important to learn support heroes very early in your Dota playing, but I think there's some big issues with playing support when you are playing low level games with random people

Primarily because most low level games are LOADED with carries. Viper, Spirit Breaker, Drow, etc. And these heroes can really chew up most non-experienced support in a few hits. It would be suuuper discouraging to play Lion against a full strength-based carry lineup, IMO

Shadow Demon has sort of fallen out of favour in the current pro meta, it seems. He was only picked a few times that I saw during TI3

One support that Jai forgot is Visage. IMO a pretty difficult hero, but without question the most popular support player of TI3, other than Chen/Io

Archived