The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ask Avelanche Anything? - the resurrection

avelanch

Luongo jersey. Do you have one? If yes, can I have it?

no, but I DO have a 2010 Team Canada t-shirt with lou's name/number on it. I found it at sportcheck in abby in the clearance section 5-6 months ago, it was the only one left and it was the perfect size, like it was meant to be. and at $5, how could I say no?

and no, you cannot have it.

no, but I DO have a 2010 Team Canada t-shirt with lou's name/number on it. I found it at sportcheck in abby in the clearance section 5-6 months ago, it was the only one left and it was the perfect size, like it was meant to be. and at $5, how could I say no?

and no, you cannot have it.

While reading this post I kept thinking where I'll have to drive to pick up the free shirt. Reached the end and I was like DAMNIT!

Why is your birthday on the same date as my birthday? And you live in Seattle, and so do I... That's creepy

What's creepy is that you know when my birthday is! :shock:scared-smiley.gif

Also, i was born in Prince albert, sk. Growing up I had a classmate whose mom was in labour in the hospital bed beside my mom. she was hella cute too (the classmate, not the mom) but it never would have worked out. I don't like sharing birthdays :P

Why is the number keypad of a phone (or tv remote) laid out differently than a calculator?

Before 1964, calculators were either mechanical or electronic devices with heavy tubes. The key pads on the first calculators actually resembled old cash registers, with the left row of keys numbering 9 on top down to 0 on the bottom. The next row to the right had 90 on top and 10 on the bottom, the next row to the right had 900 on top, 100 on the bottom, and so on. All of the early calculators were ten rows high, and most were nine rows wide. From the beginning, hand-held calculators placed 7-8-9 on the top row, from left to right.

Before the touch-tone phone, of course, rotary dials were the rule. There is no doubt that the touch-tone key pad was designed to mimic the rotary dial with the "1" on top and the 7-8-9 on the bottom. According to Bob Ford, of AT&T's Bell Laboratories, a second reason was that some phone-company research concluded that this configuration helped eliminate dialing errors. Ford related the story, which may or may not be apocryphal, that when AT&T contemplated the design of their key pad, they called several calculator companies, hoping they would share the research that led them to the opposite configuration. Much to their chargin, AT&T discovered that the calculator companies had conducted no research at all. From our contacts with Sharp and Texas Instruments, two pioneers in the calculator field, it seems that this story could easily be true.

It has also been suggested that if the lower numbers were on the bottom, the alphabet would then start on the bottom and be in reverse alphabetical order, a confusing setup. This might have entered AT&T's thinking, particularly in the "old days" when phone numbers contained only five digits, along with two exchange letters.

Guest Gumballthechewy

How does Bettman keep his job? Since you're so good at answering questions, why aren't YOU the commissioner?

Yeah! What the hell man! Why aren't you?

Yeah! What the hell man! Why aren't you?

Betteman keeps his job by making the BOG money. he may be making this fine game a complete travesty, but revenues are consistently going up and up (as evidenced by the salary cap continuing to increase). until revenues start to decline he'll most likely keep his job, which is a shame, because this fine game will be a shell of it's former glorious self by the time that happens.

If I were offered the job I'd jump on it instantly, as I feel like I could continue to increase revenue while retaining the feel/integrity of the game (and I would have allowed Basillie to move the coyotes LONG ago, avoiding that whole fiasco.) You could bet your bottom dollar I wouldn't be booed at every Stanley cup presentation/draft/public appearance.

Archived