The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ask Avelanche Anything? - the resurrection

avelanch

Getting back on topic.

Av, You choice of the Top Three James Bond films?

gold finger

octopussy

goldeneye

UBC or SFu

Business

SFU, as I can only speak to my experience in that program. I enjoyed the sfu business program, and i think it's still better ranked than UBC's.

Bettman for President?

Why is the rockstar symbol on the dash a waste?

do i really need to explain how much it devalues such a great car?

What flavor are white Freezes supposed to be?

depends on the brand, most are cream soda (Mr Freezie and most others), some are sprite, some are vanilla, and some pina colada

mrfreeze1.jpg

Guest Gumballthechewy

My girlfriend casually brought up marriage the other day, I sorta beat around the bush and avoided giving an actual answer, but if she really does want to get married why do I do? I don't believe in marriage, I mean I believe that it exists I just don't believe in what it stands for, I absolutely will not get married under any circumstances at all ever! So how would I go about breaking it to her gently and not so asinine as I just demonstrated I am quite capable of? I really don't want to lose her but I really don't want to get married.

My girlfriend casually brought up marriage the other day, I sorta beat around the bush and avoided giving an actual answer, but if she really does want to get married why do I do? I don't believe in marriage, I mean I believe that it exists I just don't believe in what it stands for, I absolutely will not get married under any circumstances at all ever! So how would I go about breaking it to her gently and not so asinine as I just demonstrated I am quite capable of? I really don't want to lose her but I really don't want to get married.

may I ask why you feel that way? i mean what's the basis for your aversion to marriage? what do you think it stands for? I'll need these answered before I can properly formulate my response.

Once you come to peace with the fact you will be signing over your paychecks to her whether you get married or not , your view on marriage will change.

Guest Gumballthechewy

Ha ha, no it's not about paychecks I already gave those up a looong time ago, no it's just marriage (this is how I personally feel about it, not trying to offend anybody) is an archaic institution I will have no part of it. It's just a personal thing. But how can I let her know or break it to her without just saying: "sorry babe but you're s*** outta luck"?

I really love this girl and I wanna stay with her for as long as she'll have me, but I won't marry.

She never did come out and say she wants to get married, but she was talking about her friend who just go married and blah blah blah, and if I ever though of gettin married so I just said I never really thiught about it and changed the subject real quick.

Ha ha, no it's not about paychecks I already gave those up a looong time ago, no it's just marriage (this is how I personally feel about it, not trying to offend anybody) is an archaic institution I will have no part of it. It's just a personal thing. But how can I let her know or break it to her without just saying: "sorry babe but you're s*** outta luck"?

I really love this girl and I wanna stay with her for as long as she'll have me, but I won't marry.

She never did come out and say she wants to get married, but she was talking about her friend who just go married and blah blah blah, and if I ever though of gettin married so I just said I never really thiught about it and changed the subject real quick.

how did you come to form that opinion, it sounds like there are deeper issues at play. did you come from a broken home? I would get to the root of the issue to determine why I felt that was then have a serious talk with her about it. explain not only your feelings, but why you feel that way. Explain that while you love her and you want to spend the rest of your life with her, you just can't get married, for the reason's you explained. she deserves to know now, because if she wants to get married she deserves to know now instead of waiting around for years for something that will not happen. you can't be selfish about something that is so big of a deal.

If it's just that you don't care about defining the relationship as "Married", then why deny her something she feels so strongly about? Again it sounds like you are thinking only about yourself and not taking her feelings/needs/wants into account in regards to this matter.

Avelanche I Have a few more questions for you.

1) Will you ever change from the CoHo user picture?

2) Actually not a question, but I like your signature.

1) maybe

2) thanks :D

Guest Gumballthechewy

Well, I sat down with her and had a long talk last night, I never really though about it being selfish (that's why it's good to get a third party opinion) and I explained my feelings towards marriage and all, anyway long story short she's ok with it saying she's in no hurry to get married and I might change my mind in the future or if not it's no big deal as long as we love each other.

Thanks avelanch, that's twice you've help this relationship! You're a love guru!

Have you ever considered starting a relationship advise thread?

Archived