The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ask Avelanche Anything? - the resurrection

avelanch

Guest Gumballthechewy

who's child is it? and what's the situation?

Ok, say you knew without a doubt (hypothetically) that your own child would grow up and be responsible for the death of millions and the only way to prevent it was to kill him/her, (hypothetically), would you or could you do it?

I'm not trying to be offensive or anything but the same conversation came up between me and my girlfriend (I took your advise and we somehow ended up having this discussion, she never really did give me a straight answer now that I think about it...)

Ok, say you knew without a doubt (hypothetically) that your own child would grow up and be responsible for the death of millions and the only way to prevent it was to kill him/her, (hypothetically), would you or could you do it?

I'm not trying to be offensive or anything but the same conversation came up between me and my girlfriend (I took your advise and we somehow ended up having this discussion, she never really did give me a straight answer now that I think about it...)

I wouldn't be able to do it. Not my own child. I'd, instead, try my best to try to avoid it somehow, even if it was a sure thing.
Guest Gumballthechewy

I wouldn't be able to do it. Not my own child. I'd, instead, try my best to try to avoid it somehow, even if it was a sure thing.

That was pretty much the same answer I gave.

vvvv Ha ha ha! Mash has it figured out!

Haven't been following, so this may have been asked/answered.....what is the story behind your username?

i'll just give the shorthand version of the story:

Grew up in Saskatchewan, meaning no local NHL team to cheer for, so I mainly cheered for the local WHL team (Raiders) but also watched the NHL. I'd watch hockey night in canada every week, and, as a fan of the underdog, grew to love the Nordiques and the Canucks. Moved to Seattle in 95, same time as the nords moved to Colorado, and shortly thereafter created my first email account on hotmail. I tried to get canuck@hotmail.com, but it was taken, tried to get avalanche@hotmail.com, but it was taken, finally I chose avelanch@hotmail.com (a intentional misspelling, that conveniently fit into most videogames character name max length requirements). I've stuck with it ever since, despite my now hatred of the team i named my virtual persona after (during their "lets buy a cup" years I lost all respect for them and never looked back)

Also, i no longer own that email, i think it was hacked, or something, and I tried to recover it, but in order to recover it I had to access my email, which I couldn't access in the first place and was the reason for my need of a recovery. Hotmail REALLY dropped the ball on that one, but I got a more grown up email address anyway, something more "job search" worthy. ::D

In this situation I'd feed my child nothing but sweets so that they're too fat to do anything, but still alive to accept my love.

Edit: I'd be a horrible parent.

I'd make sure we did as many extreme sports as possible, one or both of us might end up paralyzed or dead, but at least we had fun together doing so.

I'm not a horrible parent, since the scenario is completely unrealistic and I'd never actually do that with my real kid.

That makes you a liar then. :sadno:

no it just means the only time i'd be a horrible parent is if I had 100% certainty that my kid would cause millions of deaths.

wait, i just thought of something, what if those deaths were justified, like during a revolution, or during defense of the earth from an alien onslaught (like Dr. Who sacrificing all the time lords in an effort to try to kill the daleks), or what if those deaths were accidental (my kid accidentally released a killer disease upon the earth through no fault of her own) or if those deaths would still happen, regardless of whether my kid was responsible or not, or those deaths prevented even MORE deaths (or the extinction of the human race in general)... nope, I don't think i'd even do the extreme sports avenue, too many open possibilities.

no it just means the only time i'd be a horrible parent is if I had 100% certainty that my kid would cause millions of deaths.

wait, i just thought of something, what if those deaths were justified, like during a revolution, or during defense of the earth from an alien onslaught (like Dr. Who sacrificing all the time lords in an effort to try to kill the daleks), or what if those deaths were accidental (my kid accidentally released a killer disease upon the earth through no fault of her own) or if those deaths would still happen, regardless of whether my kid was responsible or not, or those deaths prevented even MORE deaths (or the extinction of the human race in general)... nope, I don't think i'd even do the extreme sports avenue, too many open possibilities.

So the moral of the story: don't take your toddlers sky-diving or skateboarding.

(imo) Train your kid up right in the first place and he'll never do something like that...

that was my first answer, but the situation was supposed to be 100% certainty that it would happen, regardless of my training, so i went with the second one, but then I thought further about how could a kid that was raised correctly still be responsible for millions of deaths, which led me to develop the other scenarios, making my first choice still my final choice.
Guest Gumballthechewy

So the moral of the story: don't take your toddlers sky-diving or skateboarding.

I was thinking more like; don't do drugs then have deep conversations...

Lets all just hope avelanche didn't spawn the queen of darkness.

Archived