The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ask Avelanche Anything? - the resurrection

avelanch

It's his right to vote, it's also his right to abstain. the thing about people that abstain from voting, though, is that they don't have a right to complain about any decisions made by those in power, since they are, in essence, saying they don't care what those in power do.

Why are people so obsessed with voting? All it is is electing one criminal or another.

it's our political process, if you don't take part in it then you forego your right to complain about the decisions being made, or about the politicians temselves. you essentially are saying you don't want to be part of society.

Av, you going to take this one?

well, it IS my thread, after all.

it's our political process, if you don't take part in it then you forego your right to complain about the decisions being made, or about the politicians temselves. you essentially are saying you don't want to be part of society.

well, it IS my thread, after all.

It IS your thread, which is why I didn't want to commandeer ;) ...but if you don't mind, I'd like to add to your comment.

Even to this day there are people around the world fighting and losing lives for the simple right to vote and have a role/say in how they are governed. Our own ancestors fought and died for us to have that right and to protect that right. Women, minorities etc all had to fight tooth and nail for the right to vote. To have a say.

I personally find it completely disrespectful to their memories to merely dismiss their lives and effort with such a casual and cavalier attitude. Their are very few things of certainty in life but I am completely certain that when we have the hard fought right to vote on our representation that we ALWAYS exercise that right.

Gum if you feel your choices are *ahem* less than optimal, you still have options. I refuse to vote for either the Libs or NDP in this upcoming election myself. But there's there's the Greens, Independents, spoiling your ballot etc as options.

Not voting send no message other than resignation to those parties who would like to continue for people to believe there's no choices beyond a two party system. No choice but between two sets of crooks. The only two ways to change that are violent and bloody revolution and voting for someone else.

Guest Gumballthechewy

I don't believe that at all. I work and pay taxes, pretty soon I'll be working as police officer, I don't see how much more a part of society one can get, I just don't care about who's the one pulling the strings, as long as my paycheques keep getting signed I'm good, also is it not my right to abstain from voting, like you said?

And for the record, I'm the only person I know that doesn't complain about the goverment. ;)

The only two ways to change that are violent and bloody revolution and voting for someone else.

That first option sound good.

:bigblush:

I'm not trying to insult or offend anyone here, it's just my belief.

I find that 90% of my beliefs are considers strange, stupid or backwards in the eyes of the vast majority of people...

I just don't care about who's the one pulling the strings, as long as my paycheques keep getting signed I'm good

And how would you feel if a government you had no say in asked you to do something against your morals, code of conduct etc against your fellow citizens as a police officer? It's a slippery slope my friend ;)

I'm not trying to insult or offend anyone here, it's just my belief.

I find that 90% of my beliefs are considers strange, stupid or backwards in the eyes of the vast majority of people...

I don't find it stupid or strange etc. I firmly grasp the concept of feeling like your vote doesn't matter or that the seeming lack of a positive choice leads you to "why bother". That's exactly what they count on and aim for. I do find it a bit lazy and disrespectful and lazy though.

Guest Gumballthechewy

And how would you feel if a government you had no say in asked you to do something against your morals, code of conduct etc against your fellow citizens as a police officer? It's a slippery slope my friend ;)

I'd feel the same if not worse than if the goverment I put my faith into asked me to do the same thing.

I don't find it stupid or strange etc. I firmly grasp the concept of feeling like your vote doesn't matter or that the seeming lack of a positive choice leads you to "why bother". That's exactly what they count on and aim for. I do find it a bit lazy and disrespectful and lazy though.

It may be lazy but I don't see how it's disrespectful. I respect the people who fought and died for equal rights and the right to vote and all but I don't see how me choosing not to vote disrespects them, shouldn't my choosing not to do something honour those who fought and died for the freedom of choice?

Guest Gumballthechewy

whatever happened to asking me questions in this thread?

Hey Av, when I wake up in the morning and the sunlight is hurt my head, what's the first thing I should do when I get up outta bed?

Also, who shot first: Han or Greedo?

Also also, if you ever decide to go on a murderous rampage, what would be your weapon of choice and could I join?

Also also also, do you ever get tired of answering stupid questions?

Also also also also, does J.R. still like me?

Hey Av, when I wake up in the morning and the sunlight is hurt my head, what's the first thing I should do when I get up outta bed?

pee. always pee.

Also, who shot first: Han or Greedo?
Han shot first, it's clear as day.

Also also, if you ever decide to go on a murderous rampage, what would be your weapon of choice and could I join?
a hockey stick, and sure!

Also also also, do you ever get tired of answering stupid questions?
not yet ::D

Also also also also, does J.R. still like me?

i'm sure if he didn't, you'd be fully aware of it.

Sorry Av, I stop hijacking :(

Av, how's the little one sleeping?

she's sleeping great, thanks to the miracle blanket :D

Avelanch, do you think 3.50 is a fair price for me to sell my services?

flat rate, per minute, or per hour?

Archived