The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rick Rypien Passes Away

Darcy Rota

we have a player in our hockey league who has battled and is battling a lot of personal issues. sometimes she's not the easiest person to be around and so, in preparing for next season, some of us were talking about not letting her play this year (her antics are destructive and even dangerous to those around her). but after hearing about Ryp we all talked and agreed to give her another chance. it would be wrong to turn our backs on someone who is in need of some help.

small comfort for his loved ones, but Ryp made a difference in someone's life today.

i still can't wrap my head around it though. the canucks should honour him next season as though he were one of our own. he was discovered by us, we groomed him, and he only ever played for us. just because he was a Jet at the time of his passing doesn't take away from who he really was - a Canuck.

The suicide hotline is a good first step RFK. Have you spoken with anyone else about it? Your doctor? A friend? It's a tough fight when nobody close to you knows what's going on, that's what happened with my friend. Anyway, stay strong, but don't be too proud to ask for help.

Thank you for your concerns. I experience depression very easily but have recently learned how to cope with it. I actually was not aware that I was dialing a number for the suicide hotline but it was immensely helpful. I have also discussed the matter with friends and feel very privileged to have a great deal of emotional support at home. I just felt compelled to share my experiences. Many posters are noting how this issue is scarcely publicized and it really is a shame. Thanks again and take care.

Depression is much more common than is ever acknowleged .. perhaps this tragic event can help all of us welcome those who suffer so badly into our own level of consciousness .. the more we know about depression then the better we can cope with it .. to Hockeyville 88, who shared her own positive reaction to this tragedy ,, thank you for sharing .. from personal experience, often times the greatest hurdles are admitting you need help and then accepting the help offered .. you and your team mates have taken a big step in just accepting her illness .. I really hope something good will come from this, not only for your mate, but also by increased awareness /ss

Please send my condolence to his family. The reason might be depression................... he got this problems for a while and this is why he left Canucks twice over the last three years. What a pity! Depression is a servious problem and can't easily handle! Let's pray for his family.

First and foremost i wish Rick's family and friends all best

Secondly for those of you who suggest Ricks actions of possible suicide are completely selfish may be wrong and may be right but its not for me or you to judge....coming from someone who lost a wonderful cousin to the same sort of tragedy not too long i ago i heard people suggest that my cousin was selfish for what he did....they may be wrong or right but i guarantee it was the only selfish thing he had done his entire life...He was a good man.A man that is loved and a man who will be missed......Rest in Peace to my cousin,Rick and any others who have fallen to the victim of depression

Archived