The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rick Rypien Passes Away

Darcy Rota

First and foremost my wishes go out to his family and friends. He was a hockey player to us and someone we admired and respected but he was someones flesh and blood and we can never feel that way about him. It's a tragic loss for his family and nearest and dearest and I hope they make it through this tough time!

Who knows what made him go off the rails in recent times, it's just so sad as he showed so much promise to revive his career and get back on track.

He may not have been a Canuck anymore but this was the organisation he last played for and I think he should be honoured in someway. He gave us and the entire hockey fan base excitement whenever he dropped the gloves.

I hope people remember the best of him and not the worst.

He was 27.. Only 27!! My brother only turned 28 a few days ago, I'd HATE to lose someone as close to me at that age, I really feel for his friends and family.

He echoed everything I ever said, never judge or underestimate someone by their height.

May not have had the slickest skills, but to me he was a big idol in the sense he proved others wrong. I hope I never forget that.

No matter how it happened. I hope it was painless for him.

R.I.P. Rick Rypien. You were a warrior!

He was only 27. He had an NHL contract and his whole life ahead of him. He had everything to live for -- it's just so terrible that he had to go out like this.

I don't think any Canuck player should wear #37 for a while -- kind of like we did with #11 when Wayne Maki died. Rypen may have died as a Jet, but he lived as a Canuck. RIP.

Much Love to the Rypien family and to his friends and team mates. Horrible news.

Me and the Boys loved to watch him play. and we REALLY loved to watch him scrap. We will miss him.

He obviously had a lot of heart. He was a true pugilist and an artist with his fists.

Depression and other mental illnesses are exacerbated in a world where "being a man" is so important.

Ahhhh, I just feel the loss of another brother, man. Got tears in my eyes.

Lay down the gloves, Ripper. you earned some rest.

DAB

Heard an interview with Rypien's former Regina Pats coach this morning on the FAN 960. Some interesting points:

1) Said Rick had signed with the Jets for 700k the day before, but everybody knew something was up when he didn't show up.

2) Mentioned that Rick had been battling severe depression, and thought he'd be able to beat it.

3) Talked about how Rick's mental state was virtually the exact opposite when he played for the Pats (from age 18-20). Said he was always smiling, always a happy kid.

4) When asked if the profession of guys like Rypien, Boogard, and Probert led to their fragile mental state, or if guys like that gravitate to the enforcer roles, he said, "It CAN'T be a coincidence".

It's true that mental issues can often lie buried until a person finishes puberty. However, it is also possible that each time we cheered on Rypien as he fought, we were unknowingly supporting the root cause of his tortured existence, and resulting death. Physical traumas are often the starting point of mental problems. And there is abundant evidence that concussions change a person's mental state (usually temporarily...but maybe occasionally permanently?).

I think Rick's death is the icing on the cake for me. I will no longer support, or even condone, fighting in hockey.

I feel bad since I didn't start watching the Canucks until right before the 2009-2010 playoffs, so my biggest memory of Rick Rypien is the incident in Minnesota. But regardless, I'm still really sad about this. I wish I could watch AHL so I could have seen him play with the Moose last season.

R.I.P Rick.

truly tragic

how many more tragedies before the league embraces skill and pushes off from the gladiator mentality?

answer? as long as there are idiots cheering for fights. as long as these idiots like to see hits that knock people out.

if you were playing a sport, when have you ever thought that the best thing to do would be to take the other teams player out of the game or series with a hit? normal people don't think like that...

easy fix - give out suspensions.

btw none if the idiots cheering for fights should have any say about the reffing in the scf,

No he wasn't. After the Minnesota incident, he was hung on a tree on these forums by many posters. He was personally attacked as a player and his career as a skilled hockey player was questioned by many. This is why mods here need to enforce better rules. He was facing personal issues and people on these forums have the balls to say "must be alcohol, drugs, he should just quit."

truly tragic

how many more tragedies before the league embraces skill and pushes off from the gladiator mentality?

answer? as long as there are idiots cheering for fights. as long as these idiots like to see hits that knock people out.

if you were playing a sport, when have you ever thought that the best thing to do would be to take the other teams player out of the game or series with a hit? normal people don't think like that...

easy fix - give out suspensions.

btw none if the idiots cheering for fights should have any say about the reffing in the scf,

Archived